Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra: Variations on a Theme (Time to bring back and old tradition)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zxcvboy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
IP: Logged

File: con2011.SUB (454 bytes)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Subterra: Variations on a Theme (0)  
This "Variations on a Theme" thing has been abandoned for a few months, so I decided to start a new one.

The rules are :
(1) You can add whatever you like, but you can't move or delete the objects already placed in the template.
(2) The only exception to the above is that you may change a square wall into an exit.
(3) You can't put anything to the right or below the no-scrolling block.
(4) Levels must be completed in this month, and posted in this thread.
(5) One entry per person; quality trumps quantity.
(6) Majority vote on this forum decides the winner.

Special rule for this month: Going BOOM! You may not add any more explosives to the template, but you may clone, replicate or make bombs.

04-07-2011 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Subterra: Variations on a Theme (0)  
Hey, thanks for bringing this back! I hope other people are interested too.

04-08-2011 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I know I am. It's a really great idea, and I wish more people would get involved. Some truly awesome levels were produced from past templates. :thumbsup

As a side note, I hope this revival goes a lot better than when I tried resurrecting it. Then again, I think the template I posted was a bit on the restrictive side (okay, way on the restrictive side).

Click here to view the secret text

04-08-2011 at 05:09 AM
zxcvboy
You have until Easter Tuesday to complete the contest.

04-08-2011 at 06:57 AM
B.J.Earles

File: april_benjamin_11.SUB (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Well, looks like I get to be the first to post an entry. Here is Demolitions Depot.

Mystic, I think the thing that made your template so difficult to work with was that it was huge (I think it was bigger than anything I've produced, and I've made some big levels) and the rule required that most of it be used for something. I'm of the opinion that templates should be on the smaller side (this month's was perfect), especially considering there's a time limit. Not everyone can spend all month making a huge level (and not everyone can make a huge level after spending all month).
04-12-2011 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
B.J.Earles wrote:
Mystic, I think the thing that made your template so difficult to work with was that it was huge (I think it was bigger than anything I've produced, and I've made some big levels) and the rule required that most of it be used for something.
Yeah, it was rather massive. Believe it or not, when I used this template for my original "Pipe Dream" level, I had intended it to be a 20x20 grid of rooms (later cut down to 15x15), with the player passing through about 90% of them; needless to say, I kept losing track of things, and scaled it way back.

As for requiring the player cover nearly the entire level, that was just stupid on my part, looking back. Remind me not to require such a restriction again if I ever decide to post another template.

04-13-2011 at 03:20 AM
B.J.Earles
It's not long until the end of the contest. Am I going to be the only one with an entry?
04-22-2011 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
I didn't see this contest before but I think I'll enter before it's too late. Nobody wants to enter this contest because of this guy's reputation as the dumb kid on the forum. Not because it's not a good contest.

04-22-2011 at 04:12 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
[Post Deleted] " wrote:
Nobody wants to enter this contest because of this guy's reputation as the dumb kid on the forum. Not because it's not a good contest.
Or maybe because everyone is busy and doesn't have time to channel creative energy towards a game?

04-22-2011 at 05:47 PM
Rat Man
Then how come everyone's constantly making holds on this forum? There just seemed to be a pattern of the number of people entering contests is defined more by the popularity of the topic-starter than the actual contest. But let's not get into yet another fight that has nothing to do with the original thread.

04-22-2011 at 06:03 PM
zxcvboy
Contest's over!

04-29-2011 at 08:19 AM
The Mystic
Well, it appears B.J.Earles wins by default, and with a great level. Congrats, even though there was no competition!

I tried several times to make a level, but couldn't seem to get anything started.

In the meantime, I propose getting another round started.

04-29-2011 at 03:46 PM
B.J.Earles
I agree with Mystic. We should start another round.

And it was a good level. :D

If no one else wants to post a new template, I can go ahead and make one.
04-30-2011 at 10:48 AM
The Mystic
Go ahead; I have a few ideas, but they can wait until next time.

05-01-2011 at 04:54 AM
B.J.Earles

File: May2011.SUB (436 bytes)
Downloaded 43 times.
Alright, time for the next round. You are to make a level using the template attached to this post. You have until the end of the month.

The rules are :
(1) You can add whatever you like, but you can't move or delete the objects already placed in the template.
(2) The only exception to the above is that you may change a square wall into an exit.
(3) You can't put anything to the right or below the no-scrolling block.
(4) Levels must be completed in this month, and posted in this thread.
(5) One entry per person; quality trumps quantity.
(6) Majority vote on this forum decides the winner.

Special Rule: Skelwing hunting. You may not add any more skelwings to the template. Also, objects have already been added to the skelwings' explosion content. You may not remove any of these objects, but you may add new ones.

Good luck!
05-03-2011 at 02:18 AM
The Mystic
First to download! :D

I have a few ideas, but I plan to get some sleep first (it's after midnight here).
B.J.Earles wrote:
You may not add any more skelwings to the template. Also, objects have already been added to the skelwings' explosion content. You may not remove any of these objects, but you may add new ones.
I'm assuming you also mean I can't put additional skelwings in explosion contents. If so, I think my idea should still work with the addition of a few tweaks.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 05-03-2011 05:28 AM]
05-03-2011 at 05:27 AM
B.J.Earles
Yeah, I'm gonna say no adding skelwings to explosion content, since technically that's adding skelwings to the template. Anything else is fair game.
05-03-2011 at 05:28 PM
Radiant
B.J.Earles wrote:
Alright, time for the next round. You are to make a level using the template attached to this post. You have until the end of the month.
Nice. You may want to start a new topic for this, so that the top post explains the current rules.

05-03-2011 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic

File: Template of Randomness.SUB (2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
I'm done, and a lot sooner than I expected. To me, this template just begged to become some sort of random level.

New skelwings could not be added, so I cloned them instead. Also, several new items were added to the explosion content. The result is attached.

05-05-2011 at 02:20 AM
Rat Man
I'm not very good at making puzzles but I think I'll give this a try. I'll be using a lot of pixies and the unnamed main character's unnamed dog. That's what I'm good at.

05-06-2011 at 07:49 PM
Radiant
Rat Man wrote:
I'm not very good at making puzzles but I think I'll give this a try. I'll be using a lot of pixies and the unnamed main character's unnamed dog. That's what I'm good at.

The main character is Randall Loren, which is stated in the ST1 backstory :D

05-06-2011 at 09:04 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
I wonder how many people actually read that. I've always found it moderately humorous.

05-06-2011 at 09:14 PM
Rat Man
I read part of the ST2 backstory. But then I was kicked off the computer and I never got around to reading it again. I'll read the rest and the original today.

05-06-2011 at 09:25 PM
The Mystic
I found the ST1 backstory to be on the funny side. I never found the ST2 backstory, though.

05-06-2011 at 09:48 PM
B.J.Earles
Radiant wrote: You may want to start a new topic for this, so that the top post explains the current rules.
I'll keep that in mind for next time, but for now that just seems like to much trouble.

Rat Man wrote: I'll be using a lot of pixies and the unnamed main character's unnamed dog. That's what I'm good at.
This template was made in ST1, where there are no pixies or dogs. You're thinking of ST2.

Well, looks like we have one entry so far. If it seems unlikely that we'll have any more, I'll go ahead and make a level so we can at least have a little competition this time.
05-10-2011 at 01:28 AM
The Mystic
B.J.Earles wrote:
Well, looks like we have one entry so far. If it seems unlikely that we'll have any more, I'll go ahead and make a level so we can at least have a little competition this time.
It's still relatively early in this month's contest, so there may be more entries later. In the meantime, if you're planning on making a level, why not go ahead and make it? These contests are always a lot more fun with more than one entry.
B.J.Earles wrote:
Rat Man wrote: I'll be using a lot of pixies and the unnamed main character's unnamed dog. That's what I'm good at.
This template was made in ST1, where there are no pixies or dogs. You're thinking of ST2.
Speaking of ST2, I'm seriously considering posting a template in June, and making it for ST2.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 05-10-2011 05:54 AM]
05-10-2011 at 05:47 AM
The Mystic
Well,it looks like my level is the only entry so far for May. Is anyone else planning a level?

Also, any objections to if I posted a template for June, and would anyone mind if I posted it a few days early?

05-26-2011 at 04:20 AM
Rat Man
I was just starting work on an entry but I ran out of time.:weep

05-26-2011 at 06:45 PM
The Mystic
I say go for it anyway. There's still plenty of time. Some of my best levels were made in 24 hours or less; and in some (rare) cases, I've completed a level in under 30 minutes.

05-27-2011 at 03:30 AM
Rat Man
Okay, I'll try and finish it now! :)

05-27-2011 at 05:40 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra: Variations on a Theme (Time to bring back and old tradition)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com