Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (Our Official Contest for January 2011)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
IP: Logged
icon The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (+6)  
The Next Big Project will be coming in the not too distant future. Caravel has always made its projects as a labor of love for the fans. As promised, we're going to let you in on some of the behind-the-scenes info regarding it, and at the same time also give you a chance to take part in developing aspects of the game as we go along.

The new, upcoming game is designed with the beginning DROD player in mind, though veterans will find much new material and strategy to enjoy too. This game tells a tale of Gunthro Budkin (Beethro's ancestor) and his role in a war that took place between the Rasaruns (the precursors for the modern day Rasarun pirates) and the Tuenans (the precursor for modern day Stalwarts). You will find out more how these nations shaped up the way they are in Beethro's day.

At present, the levels are all pretty much done and are being refined and polished. For this contest, we'd like to recruit your help in filling in some of the colour and atmosphere underlying the game. We're asking for some entrance level texts setting the scene for a portion of the levels. In the future, we may have more such contests revealing different teaser aspects of the game which won't spoil too much.

Here are 12 intentionally short, abstracted level descriptions. It will be your job to help embellish them. (obviously minor spoilers -- but don't worry, we're not giving everything away, as these show off only a portion of the levels appearing in the game).

Click here to view the secret text

Your task is to select six of the locations you feel most inspired to write about and compose Level Entrance text descriptions of about 50-100 words for each.
If you wish, you may make a second submission (two sets of six levels all together).

You may find the Master Map of the Eighth useful. It describes each continent on Beethro's world of the Eighth and shows where the abovenamed locations are.

Deadline is Local Time:01-25-2011 at 11:59 PM, in negative 690 weeks, 6 days

Post your submissions here. If you don't want anyone to read them until the deadline, put them in unhidetime brackets as so: [unhidetime=Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:59:00]Your submission here[/unhidetime].

The voting public will then judge each person's set of descriptions out of 10.

1st Prize – 100 rank points and a prize from the prize pile
2nd Prize – 50 rank points
3rd Prize – 25 rank points.

Caravel will then pick the descriptions that best fit into the game. Those who have their descriptions chosen in this manner get an extra 25 rank points and will get their name featured in the upcoming game credits as a Story Contributor.

Posting a contest entry provides Caravel an implicit agreement to have your contributions used in the upcoming game. If in fact you don't want your entries actually considered for inclusion in the upcoming game, please state this when posting your contest submission. Caravel reserves the right to alter descriptions to fit with the final, released gameplay and story.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-11-2011 11:54 PM]
01-11-2011 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (+1)  
Great contest idea!

Jacob, you might want to remove the brackets in your unhidetime tag and replace them with [lb] and [rb].

01-11-2011 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (0)  
Great to see the contest is finally up and running!

Good luck to all participants!
01-11-2011 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I join this contest to enhance and advance Caravel.

Sign me up!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-11-2011 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Is there a point of view we should adopt?

Level Entrance text often narrates the journey of the protagonist--well, of Beethro, in the official games. "Beethro entered cautiously, well aware of the dangers that etc. etc.", that sort of thing. Some LE texts take the form of quotations from various personages--35th Roach Wrangler or the like.

Should we use one of these? Neither of these? Can we invent a point of view (e.g., excerpts from "Fodor's Tueno")?
01-12-2011 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Tahnan wrote:
Should we use one of these? Neither of these? Can we invent a point of view (e.g., excerpts from "Fodor's Tueno")?
I'd say you can use any format that you feel works best. This includes the formats you named in your post, and of course inventing a point of view yourself.

I'm sure we don't want all descriptions written in the exact same style, and if things really don't fit together we can always change things around a bit.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 01-12-2011 03:48 PM]
01-12-2011 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
It's a fun idea, but a bit unfortunate that we haven't seen the levels in question, and know very little about the story in general. It's easier to write something suiting when you don't write out of context. Anyway... Good luck to everybody!
01-12-2011 at 04:29 PM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
This is an very great idea for contest! I'll be glad to join this one.
The Architest, joins the party!

EDIT: I am soon done, so if I am correct, you can post them here, right?

[Last edited by The Architest at 01-19-2011 04:36 PM]
01-12-2011 at 06:25 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
A writing contest? I will participate as well!
01-14-2011 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Blondbeard wrote:
It's a fun idea, but a bit unfortunate that we haven't seen the levels in question, and know very little about the story in general. It's easier to write something suiting when you don't write out of context.

I think that's part of the fun, especially when we see the variety of things people come up with.

Also, if you come up with something cool, there's still a chance for us to alter the level aesthetics to fit.

01-14-2011 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Glad I checked in to see if anything was happening...I found myself drawn down... down... down... the page seeking I knew not... Oh I will save it for my entry.

A question:
Wraithwing Swamp (on Akandia) – self-explanatory (suggest writing an interesting phenomenon seen here about wraithwings that is new to DROD players)

Is the wraithwings behavior just new to the new players or is it a new behavior you are inventing for the new game? So am I making up a new behavior or introducing an existing behavior to new players?

[Last edited by techant at 01-19-2011 01:38 PM]
01-19-2011 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Is the wraithwings behavior just new to the new players or is it a new behavior you are inventing for the new game?

Mrimer added this line in so I'm not totally sure to be honest!
I'd say the former.

Edit: actually, think TFMurphy's correct about it being a non-gameplay idea.

[Last edited by Jacob at 01-19-2011 08:42 PM]
01-19-2011 at 07:57 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (+2)  
I'd imagine it's not gameplay behavior that is being referred to. It's likely something like Wraithwing feeding, nesting or hunting habits. Flavor text, so to speak. There's plenty of examples of this kind of flavor text in earlier games, so you can draw from that to help.

The pages in the Monster Reference on Caravel's site may also be useful.
01-19-2011 at 08:01 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
All right, let's get this party started.

Outer Walls (of the Rasarun Court): It doesn’t take more than a cursory survey of the Rasarun Court to know that they mean business. And given the high walls, the frequent patrols, and the guard towers spaced closely enough for messages to be easily shouted from one to the next, the business they mean is clearly the security business....and business is booming. It’s certain that no one is getting in or out without official approval—though it’s just as certain that, in these times, Tuenan spies have found a way.

The Rasarun Court: The architecture of the Rasarun Court is as functional and impressive inside as it was outside. The corridors are broad, the arches massive, the balconies ubiquitous, all suggesting that, no matter where you are, your scheming can be seen and heard across the wide-open sightlines—unless you have an office behind one of the thick soundproofed doors. At this moment, however, the dominant decorative detail to any neutral observer would surely be the giant roaches swarming around. (A Tuenan observer, on the other hand, might claim he can’t distinguish them from the usual occupants.)

Heaval Hall: Tuenans, whose architectural tastes emphasize form over function and beauty over utility, cannot look at this kind of building without calling Rasaruns “part mountain-skipper,” and probably repeating some ugly stories about how they got that way. In truth, even most Rasaruns look askance at crumbling floors over deep chasms. Only warriors inhabit such buildings, in part for their strength against invaders but mostly for bragging rights over living in ever more inhospitable surroundings.

Grotto Hideout: When Rasaruns set up hidden bases, they scatter their sleeping pads haphazardly around the edges of a cave and sit on the ground in the middle. This grotto, on the other hand, has all the hallmarks of a Tuenan camp: stones evenly spaced around a fire pit, sleeping pads in neat parallel lines, plates and silverware carefully stacked in a corner with no lingering food scraps from previous meals. The vines camouflaging the entrance have a noticable aesthetic to their too-casual draping. It even looks as if someone has begun to draw patterns on the walls with a moss-based paint.

Daskeros Tower: With mosaics and tapestries covering every surface, Daskeros Tower is a monument to Tuenan aesthetic sensibilities. Nevertheless, the trained eye can see that much of the artwork seems designed to draw attention away from the security features: inlaid doors are no less solid than plain wood, glittering gold-tiled walls accented with maroon are no more scalable than smooth stone, sweeping staircases are no less defensible than straight ones. If the Tuenans really are holding a Rasarun chief prisoner here, he’s not escaping on his own and he’s not going to be easily rescued from the outside.

Akandian Tunnels: You have to wonder sometimes if a Great Architect in the Sky designed Akandia to drive people crazy. Aboveground you have the Zealot’s Plague, but down here it’s a short walk to hallucinations and paranoid delusions...and there’s no shortage of passages to walk down. In all directions the way is
claustrophobic, and the faint illumination casts more shadows than light. The occasional humming noise of something awakening and settling back down echoes through the tunnels, impossible to pinpoint.

01-19-2011 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
So, these "unhidetime" tags work like spoilers too? Or do I have to add spoiler tags, anyone would like to explain?
Ah, thank you, 12th Archivist!

Outer Walls You're not an idler, now are you? If you answered no, then you will be fine. But if you instead said the word, "yes" and then tried to say something off-topic, you are so finished if you went to this place called Outer Walls.

You see, they don't like idlers. It's almost like they hate him. I think that's a good word for it. But yes, the people in that place are very strict. If you don't have offical business to say or show, you don't have anykind of chance to get in there!
It's good there's this an another way to there, and you can try find it.
If you're not an idler..

Skondusk Marshes As the mist lands on the marshes of Skondusk, you'll find yourself in a little, yet big
trouble. It's the fact that you possibly can't cross these marshes by walking through it.

No, you're probably going to drown if you would. But wait, they said you could borrow a raft if you had to use one.
Gunthro, in fact was suprised to hear word "raft" in here. Back in the home, these kind of rafts were made of some sort of metal, so they would look "cool". They were very cool, as in the temperature, because they would sink soon as they were sent in water.

Oh well, just hope these are good rafts.

Daskeros Caves Undergrounds can be quite scary and exciting at same time. If you're an adventurer,

you would really love this place. Dark and eerie atmosphere fills these parts of the

Eight, and there's even a beautiful river!

But that's not everything! You see, if there's a cave, there's a life. And if there's life,

there's death. Creatures of underground lurk in the caverns of Daskeran, and they hate

people that come from sunny side of the world. But what kind of creatures are in there,

is a mystery to many people. Maybe they would know if someone would come back

from there? Maybe.

Wraithwing Swamp During the time of traveling, many species of the Eighth would became known. But not many had traveled through this swamp. Survivors would tell stories about winged, black monsters, with strong-looking legs, and weak arms.

They are called "wraithwings", and the swamp is named after them. Being very smart and angry in group, yet cowardly alone. Nowadays people know wraithwings' behaviour, what they eat and when do they seek possible mate. They usually eat many kind of meats, from fish to human, and they usually escape away from floods that strike in their nests, just because they couldn't think up better place to build it.

Many people have tried to mimic their flight, and not many have prevailed. Records show that over 430 people have died to "Wraithwing Syndrome". May the future give us wings, shall be mystery to mankind.

Slithia's Nest
Empire had planned to create bigger and more dangerous snakes than normal ones were.

So, one day they sent 46th Snake Holding Man to collect some snakes for experimental use. Taking them deep in the underground, their... snaky families were left untold about fate of their loved ones, if snakes have feelings. That's what were trying to find out later, but anyways...

Months later, giantic red snake would lurk from the underground! Not just one, many and even more than many word can tell! Nobody could kill them, as their skin was tough. But people weren't giving up, they would send human bait in the underground to lurk snakes back there! So they did, and it was successful! Sad fate of this human bait hasn't been revealed. But they know one thing.

Those snakes, Serpents, are still alive in there. (I don't know where the nest is, but I chosen the underground, feel free to edit it!).

Rock Giant Lair There's an old saying in the Akandia, "Befriend a Golem, and it befriends you". It's kind of cute at first, but if you knew what kind of idiots golems were, you would think twice. I think the inventor of that saying is kind of stupid, too!

Befriend means kill to them, kill means kill to them and even a puppy means kill to them! And these golems aren't those small ones, they're just HUGE! Rock Giants, in fact is their name. Crushing everything at their sight, no matter what it is. But because of their size, they can't fit in small hallways.

But I am sure you wil soon know more about these all-strong dumbheads, as this lair is full of them.

[Last edited by The Architest at 01-24-2011 04:35 PM : Typo!]
01-20-2011 at 03:16 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
The Architest wrote:
So, these "unhidetime" tags work like spoilers too? Or do I have to add spoiler tags, anyone would like to explain?
The tags work properly, so it is unnecessary to add spoiler tags. Unhidetime tags will completely hide the concealed information until the specified time comes. At that time, the information is revealed for everyone to see.

Anyway, I would like to contribute a cake to this party.

The Rasarun Court
Ancient legend states this was once an old temple of worship. Priests would lead prayer for the local residents and guide them through various hardships. Ironically, when the priests betrayed their principles in the quest for treasure and slew the villagers, the court became a place not of hope but rather fear. The former temple became the seat of modern Rasarun authority, made up of those priests.

But Gunthro knew none of this history, instead choosing to walk ignorantly into the metaphorical foyer of darkness. And the literal foyer of roaches.

Skondusk Marshes
Frankthro groaned as his boots sank into the soggy, unstable mud that threatened to keep his boots permanently. Looking ahead, he saw only deeper, wetter mud broken only by a few stony outcroppings. Being the resourceful smitemaster that he was, Frankthro realized that walking would not get him across the area. Rather, the strange, flat boats that glistened blue looked like they could glide across the mud with ease. They seemed rather cumbersome and bulky -- it would be difficult navigating narrow passages with these -- but they were his only option at this point.

Daskeran Caves
Buzur the goblin disliked crawling through the dark, wet caves. So, when the goblin chief asked him to scout the entrance, he immediately tried to refuse, saying no one in their right minds would pass through the cave system. The goblin chief personally dragged Buzur to the edge of the goblin village and scowled, saying sane men or goblins were not the problem. He then sent Buzur on his way to watch the entrance.

Funny how it was at this time that Frankthro stumbled through the slick rocks that surrounded the cave mouth just as Buzur appeared at the same place.

“You crazy man?” Buzur asked when the strange man raised his head.
“Yeah, probably,” Frankthro replied, still dazed.
“Ahh! Intruder! Intruder!” Buzur screamed and ran off.
“Oh, glub.” Frankthro thought to himself.

Inauro Canyon
Inauro is a large city bound by giant mountain peaks and plateaus. Massive canyons etch lines through the mountains, and the greatest of these is named after the city it tunnels into. Some say gypsies wander through the wastes of the bottom of the canyon, but this is only a myth. One thing was for certain, though. Frankthro realized he was not the only person to have ventured into the dusty flat.

Wraithwing Swamp
Frudu was a renowned explorer, cartographer, and analyzer in his time. Drawing upon his hard work, Benedict made the Master Map of the Eighth that marked the start of “civilized” times when people thought about things before doing them. During one of his adventures, Frudu found a collection of winged creatures that almost resembled mythical creatures known as “wraiths”. Thus, he named them “wraithwings”. He learned a lot about wraithwings, such as how they ate and interacted with each other. Much to his surprise, he noticed that their behavior mimicked that of wraiths; they were cautious and wary alone but became dangerous foes when working together. Also like wraiths, they used their large claws to shred prey.

Rock Giant Lair
Rocks are strange things. They are incredibly dense and heavy and can resist very hot temperatures. With effort and knowledge, one can even make them come alive. Of course, one rock is not much. An organized collection of rocks functions better, but is still ineffective.

Then we get to rock behemoths. Dozens of rocks of titanic proportions blending together in a chaotic harmony of strength and anger can form the most powerful beings ever to lurk within the Eighth. Even the strongest of sword strikes -- strikes that could cut an ordinary rock golem cleanly in half -- could not bring down one of these legendary beings. Not in one blow, anyway, as Frankthro would soon realize.

I feel I did well, but the more experienced folks will probably beat me out since they have, you know, experience.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-20-2011 at 11:23 PM
RoboBob3000
Two days! I've gotta get my submission in!

01-24-2011 at 06:32 AM
techant
icon Re: The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (+3)  
Well here are my ideas.

Outer Walls:

"Report!" The corner guard yelled at him for the 129th time tonight. "All Clear!", he yelled back. Only 10 more days of this dreadful night duty. That would be the last time he went snooping where he had no business.

A smuggler might pay a hansom fee to get the location of that secret entrance, but his last attempt at finding it had landed him on four months of night watch. It was not worth it to miss his sleep. Only ten more days he thought to himself as he yelled "All Clear!" one more time.

Heaval Hall:

"That path had looked more stable than it really was", he said to no one in particular as he dusted himself off. Grumpy from his spill he decided to have a look around before he moved any further. It was a good thing too. On closer inspection it was clear that the ground might give way anytime. And to make things worse it seemed some Rasarun warrior had placed trapdoors all over the place. "I hate trapdoors!" Gunthro grumbled to no one in particular as he took his first few calculated step. This was going to take longer than he had planned.

Skondusk Marshes:

He had waited for long enough. Where was the operator for the ferry service anyway. It was getting dark and this constant warm mist had him soaked to the bone. A guide would mean he could get dry again faster, but everyone was either off to a party he had not been invited to or they had fled for their lives.

As he launched out he settled on the first option. After all it was best not to be thinking about strange and scary monsters of the marsh. Suddenly the raft seemed smaller than it did just a moment ago.

Wraithwing Swamp:

"Wraithwing Swamp" that is what the locals called it. Declared a breeding ground for Wraithwings. No one had actually seen a baby Wraithwing or even a nest, but the name stuck. If you came across one Wraithwing you were bound to find more. They seem to come in groups in this swamp. It was the grouping that seemed to suggest that they were breeding. We will have to see about that, he thought to himself. Maybe I can find a nest if it is not to much out of the way. That would make quite the story back home.

Akandian Tunnels:

As he entered the first tunnel which lay under the great Akandian mountains Gunthro had that creepy itchy feeling he always got on the back of his neck when he was being watched. But, who or rather what was watching him. These tunnels were known to harbor all kinds of evil but the "Eyes" were the thing he hated most. Best to stay out of their line of site if you wanted to get out alive.

There goes that creepy itchy feeling again he thought to himself as scratch the back of his neck.....

Slithia's Nest:

Slithia's Nest even the name sounded slithery. A nest of the most vile creatures, slithering serpents winding there way around each and every crevasses and corner. There was no way around this nest. He would have to transverse it somehow. It was a good thing he had a few tricks up his sleeve.

Now was it serpents or something else that you had to come up to them from behind... hum...

Hope you enjoy!

[Last edited by techant at 01-24-2011 10:31 AM]
01-24-2011 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
My second try.

The Rasarun Court:

A roach..chey here
A roach..chey there
A roachey roachey everywhere...

The cook hummed to himself as he stirred the pot of black beet stew. Did I just see something moving in there?

Grotto Hideout:

Dazed but still alive Gunthro checked to see if he still had his sword where he hid it. Good thing they had not searched him. Yes, it was still there. His plan had worked perfectly. They had delived him just where he wanted to be. Right in the middle of their secret hideout. Now all he needed to do was to escape. Then he would know where he was.

Daskeran Caves:

He could hear water rushing ahead. It had been days since he entered this underground system of caves and still he had not found an exit. 'Hopefully there will be a way across", he thought to himself. At least he wouldn't die of thirst.

Daskeros Tower:

You can see the tall central tower from a great distance away. The wall of the strong-hold alone rises almost into the clouds and the tower at its core rises even further. It was built to stop any who would try to defeat it. And to keep secure any prisoner or treasure it held.

As he stood gazing at it in the distance Gunthro hoped it had a back door.

Inauro Canyon

Beware you soldier as you march.
Remember the Canyon Inauro
Many a brave soldier perished there
Among the rocks of Inauro

Oh Great soldier of Rasaruns
Take your shield and wave your sword
March on to fight for those who died
In the treachery of Inauro

A drinking song by Haroow of Rasaruns

Rock Giant Lair:

"When is a rock not a rock?" Asked the 112 Archivist to the 113th Archivist.

"I don't know", he replied, waiting for the punchline.

"I don't know either, I was hoping you knew".

[Last edited by techant at 01-24-2011 11:34 AM]
01-24-2011 at 11:33 AM
Jacob
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Two days! I've gotta get my submission in!

Indeed! negative 690 weeks, 6 days to go!!

01-24-2011 at 08:32 PM
Jacob
Only a few hours left to get your entries in.

01-25-2011 at 06:10 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Getting my submission in just before the deadline.

The Rasarun Court

The Highest Court of Rasarus was originally a well-made facade of splendor and luxury. The opulent banquet halls and meeting rooms were a welcome sight for visitors, but were really just leftovers from hidden stashes of stolen furniture and looted utensils.

Now the court looked dismal and ruined - lights were broken, chairs and tables were askew, and piles of dirt were everywhere. Some of the walls had holes dug into them and looked ready to collapse.

The food pantry was probably the source of this whole mess - the lowest point of the installation and the best foothold for any infestation.

Heaval Hall

Gunthro looked over the balcony at the twisty passages below him. After paying off three separate men in three different towns and getting the same story, he was reasonably sure he would find his next mark here.

Heaval Hall was clearly a practice gauntlet for Rasarun warriors to storm Tuenan underground defenses. The traps and puzzles here would pare down unprepared armies into much smaller groups, and the ground was frequently sloped, narrow or unstable.

Gunthro had dealt with far worse and more deadly dangers before. Reaching the other side of a training course wouldn't be too bad.

Inauro Canyon

The Rasarun brigade was cornered, but they couldn't have picked a better corner to be in. This canyon was aligned with prevailing winds, so apparent temperatures were at record lows with nasty wind chills.

This location was obviously already on the books, since shacks and installations were already set up and provided good cover and refuge for the Rasaruns. From their point of view, they just needed to do three things while waiting for reinforcements: repel imminent Tuenan attacks, stay vigilant in guard duties, and drink soup.

Wraithwing Swamp

Junior smitemasters are regularly warned about the swarming habits of wraithwings, and for good reason - a horde of wraithwings is notoriously unpredictable and chaotic, and are one of the leading causes of death for many fresh smiters attempting their early jobs.

Since wraithwings, like roaches, are capable of surviving a long time in harsh temperatures and with little food intake, wraithwings are actually surprisingly sociable creatures with their own kind. Wraithwings often are only confident to make a kill if they see a stranger approaching from a different angle to share the kill with. One smitemaster once made four wraithwings flee from his steps because they were all in single file and couldn't help each other approach.

Akandian Tunnels

Due to the high incidence of monster attacks in the wild even on the surface, let alone underground, cave exploration in the Eighth is by necessity very similar to smitemaster work, except for one trade-off: no-one owns the land. As a result, travellers and organizations that wish to go underground or dig out dungeons often hire smiters to accompany their scouts and troops and provide both protection and experience with cave and dungeon features.

The advantages of clearing out monsters just because they were there were the lack of imposed deadlines and the lack of secondary objectives. The disadvantages, of course, were the lack of pay and the lack of organized structure in the form of rooms. Caves could just go on forever if you didn't pay attention.

Rock Giant Lair

Previously only the stuff of legends, rock giants have been reported in increasing numbers in golem-infested dungeons the world over. Chalkboards have been filled as to possible reasons for the swell in reports, and geobiologists have been crunching numbers as to the maximum size a golem could possibly reach and still function.

A common facet to the legends is that rock giants, being four to five times the volume of a rock golem, are also four to five times smarter since they're composed of four rock giant brains. This is obviously an absurd notion on the face of it; rocks don't have brains.

01-25-2011 at 10:04 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
I figure using the unhidetime marker is probably superfluous with only 50 minutes left to go. :) So here's what I was able to put together with the hour of free time I had.

Outer Walls

The Outer Walls of the Rasarun Court are nearly impregnable, being hewn from solid mountain rock rather than cobbled together stone by stone. From their vantage point above, Rasuran archers can make short work of uninvited guests from up to a thousand yards away.

Perhaps telling of the underhanded nature of Rasuran society, even the well-fortified Outer Walls have a secret entrance to bypass security. The Rasuran chieftain who ordered its construction no doubt did so to provide himself a means of escape from potential revolt, as well as a silent path back into the Court to exact revenge.

Skondusk Marshes

The Skondusk Marshes are warmer than most of Rasuras, but subject to continual flooding from the melting mountain snow above. Filled with dangerous razorgrass and tall trees covered in slippery moss, there is literally no safe place to stand without sinking into the brackish, skipper-infested water.

Few go to this fetid Rasuran morass, and for good reason: the only possible method of transport is by raft. However, this also makes it the perfect hideout if you don't want to be found...

Grotto Hideout

In a time of war, comfort takes second chair to tactics. Wet, cold, and dark, the uncomfortable hideout of the Tuenans on Rasarus is a testament to their indominable resolve against their Rasuran enemies.

While unpleasant to dwell within, the grotto's location makes it nearly impossible to stumble upon by chance. Still, it provides convenient access to Bractea in under a night's journey, and also lies adjacent to an area of the Smuggler's Maze through which Rasuran ships commonly pass on their journey South.

Daskeros Tower

This stronghold of the Tuenans boldly stands some twenty stories tall in the center of the city of Daskeros in Southern Tueno. The tower is visible for miles around, as if a challenge for anyone foolish enough to dare assault the city. The shadow of the tower is used as a clock, with markings on the streets of Daskeros which count down the hours.

From the top of the tower, one can just barely make out the Overlooked Sea to the Northwest and the Rasalban Ocean to the South. The Tuenans keep a sentry posted here at all times, for obvious reasons.

Wraithwing Swamp

While wraithwings use vision to detect potential prey, their pack tactics rely entirely on scent. Humans often mistake the odd scent of wraithwing pheromone for swamp gas or dungeon mold, since these are their natural habitats.

This theory was confirmed by the demise of an unwitting smitemaster who uncorked a bottle of swampy wraithwing stew while flanked by what he assumed were a couple of harmless wraithwings. The creatures descended instantly upon him from both sides and tore him to bits.

Akandian Tunnels

It's not clear whether the Akandian Tunnels were created by some natural event in the mountains, or by the monsters who dwell there now. What is clear is that the tunnels are anything but safe for casual travellers. Evil eyes roam the underground mountain crevasses in large packs called oculua, eating just about anything foolish enough to wander into their territory.

The Akandian Tunnels seem almost purposefully sculpted to maximize the hiding places for eyes, so only the most wary delver will stand a chance against the covert predators.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 01-26-2011 06:55 AM : Removed the extra blank line at the end. Yeah, I'm that much of a neat freak.]
01-25-2011 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I didn't want to miss an opportunity to submit an entry to a writing contest, so here is mine:

Outer Walls
Gunthro Budkin approached the Rasarun Court's heavily guarded exterior, having heard about their feud with the Tuenans, and being the smitemaster he was, he was inkling to check it out. Having not been officially summoned, Gunthro found what he was looking for--a secret entrance off to the side, a common feature of dungeons and fortresses. Proceeding with caution, Gunthro entered.

Skondusk Marshes
"It's quite moist here. Good thing delver attire is designed withstand it," Gunthro remarked as he entered the marsh.

Grotto Hideout
"One common tactic used within the art of war is to establish strongholds further and further into enemy territory. It often helps if these bases are well hidden so the enemy has a tougher time bringing them down." -Overheard in a Mellenfral University lecture series on War and Peace.

"Well it took me a while, but I think I finally found the Tuenan base the Rasaruns told me about," Gunthro proclaimed once he discovered what had to be the hideout.

Daskeran Caves
"Gee, more water down here. Oh well, at least I don't have to take a raft the whole way," Gunthro declared with relief as he descended into the cave and saw the river flowing through it.

Wraithwing Swamp
"The bat-like creature called the wraithwing is unique for many reasons. It is one of the few monsters capable of flight, and they prefer to attack only when in numbers. They are also known to inhabit multiple environments, from plains to swamps." -From an essay written for a class on Monster Studies at Mellenfral University

Akandian Tunnels
"Well so far, I have been fortunate enough not to encounter anyone with the Zealot's Plague. I had better be careful in these tunnels in case anyone with the plague might be down here." -Gunthro Budkin

-Noah

My stuff:

01-25-2011 at 11:55 PM
Jacob
Thanks to all the entrants.

Poll is here

01-26-2011 at 01:06 AM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (+7)  
Shoot. Too late. I'll just place this here anyway and you do what you must with it.

Heaval Hall
Who the heck would ever want to build their home over a threatening chasm? Who would build their home on crumbling ground with new holes constantly emerging in their floor, inviting the possibility of one pummeting some untold distance to their death below? Oh, that's right. A warrior who takes tremendous pride in sending his opponents pummeting untold distances to their deaths below.

Skondusk Marshes
When sailin' through the gale'n blue
Oh, way on down the Skondusk
When the prevailin' mood is a sailin' mood
Oh, way on down the Skondusk
Get yer pail in tune, we'll be bailin' soon
Oh down on down the Skondusk

-Traditional

Daskeros Tower
Blueprints originally called for the Daskeros Tower to be built directly upwards for five stories, then westward for five stories, then upward, then westward, upward, eastward, upward, westward, upward, upward. When it collapsed during construction, the workers rebuilt the rubble exactly where it lied and instead surrounded it with a formidable moat. One story tall, the Daskeros Tower is unquestionably the longest building in all of Tueno.

Slithia's Nest
A fine example of the ingenuity of evolution, the Lengual Serpents of Akandia have lulled many an intrepid explorer to their end with their predatory lisp. Do not grow complacent when you hear their "Hitthh!" As soon as they've convinced you not to take them seriously, you'll probably already be dead.

The Rasarun Court
"Given this court's prior assessment of his character, Mr. Slodbagh's entirely accidental devourment by the infestation of roaches native to this building hereby retroactively constitutes a fair and just punishment."

-Excerpt from the court's landmark opinion in Rasarus v. Slodbagh.

Wraithwing Swamp
"Due to the danger inherent in observing adult wraithwings, little is known of their mating habits. Do they actually lay their eggs beneath the bubbling waters of the swamp or do they just move them there for safekeeping later? Regardless of how it occurs, it has to be agreed that the mass simultaneous birth of thousands of baby wraithwings, emerging at the surface and flapping the muck off their wings as they rise into the sky, has to be one of the most remarkable things anyone has ever seen."

-Excerpt from "Beautiful Akandia"

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 01-26-2011 01:46 AM]
01-26-2011 at 01:43 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The "Next Big Project" Crowd-sourcing Contest (Our Official Contest for January 2011)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com