Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I just found the source of my DROD crushes (Ollydbg saves me again)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
IP: Logged
icon I just found the source of my DROD crushes (+4)  
My DROD has crashed at startup for a long time and recently I finally found the source of the problem. Debugger showed that the crash occured when enumerating graphical modes somewhere in SDL. I have to wait a long time until I have enough brevity to dig deeper in the problem.

It turned out that the crash occured at the last (138th!) graphical mode. I found some C snippet in the internet that prints all graphical modes to the console. When I compiled and ran it I couldn't believe my eyes. The last graphical mode was 3840x2400x64. I have absolutely no idea where you can find a screen with 64-bit color (and even how color is coded in this mode) but aparently my video driver supports it. Moreover, Nvidia settings applets does offer such mode. How to fix this though? You can find a thousand of instructions explaining how to add a new graphical mode but there is no single instruction that explains how to remove one. So, in case that anyone would face the same problem I write it here.

How to remove 64-bit color graphical mode
Go to the registry key (I used regedit) HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{some guid}\0000
Find the NV_Modes key.
I have it ended up like "3840x2400x8,16,32,64=1F;" So I removed ",64", rebooted the computer and this graphical mode was gone!

DROD (and other SDL applications) starts without any crushes now. Since this is not a DROD bug, I'm posting this here instead of Bugs forum.
01-07-2011 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I just found the source of my DROD crushes (Ollydbg saves me again)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com