Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Metallic Roach (Concept?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Metallic Roach (+1)  
I had an idea for a metallic roach. A metallic roach moves like a normal roach, vertical preference included. However, it has many attributes that separate it from other roaches.

Metallic roaches have two states. Their "cold" state and their "hot" state. Elements react differently to metallic roaches depending on which state they're in.

In cold state, metallic roaches are essentially invulnerable. Like invulnerable-flagged characters, metallic roaches can be destroyed by dropping them into water or pit. However, unlike flagged characters, briar doesn't destroy metallic roaches. Rather, it simply grows around it (a space for a metallic roach is made). Metallic roaches are necessary to kill to conquer the room, so aside from platforms or bridges, how are they destroyed?

When a metallic roach walks onto a hot tile, they instantly change into a "hot" state. Hot state lasts for five turns before reverting into cold state. The timer is refreshed to five whenever a metallic roach returns to a hot tile.

In hot state, metallic roaches are vulnerable to briar, swords, hooks, and explosions (and remain vulnerable to dropping). However, the metal exoskeleton transfers the heat of hot tiles so well that the exoskeleton superheats. This means a metallic roach in hot state will destroy monsters (but not monsters like snakes, rock golems/giants, or tarstuff babies) it bumps into while moving to you, the player. It will also carve a path through briar, though it won't be able to clear any form of tarstuff. If a metallic roach in hot state bumps into a fegundo, the fegundo will explode, leaving ashes vulnerable to another metallic roach.

I was typing this quickly, so I may have missed a few things. Ask questions and please don't throw tomatoes at me.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 11-09-2010 10:58 PM]
11-09-2010 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Metallic Roach (+1)  
I think the reason why feature requests involving new monsters or elements are ignored is because every game element has to have a ton of puzzle potential by itself and/or even more when it reacts to other game elements. New requests usually have these absurd characteristics that make them only suitable in puzzles involving another element.

Here, because the metallic roach is normally invincible, given that it can kill you, by itself you'll be running circles around it. However, it does have great puzzle potential when mixed with other elements like hot tiles and briars and platforms. Just like Wonderquest, if this metallic roach had goblin movement while cold, you could still avoid death with it.

If this characteristic is added, it essentially becomes a goblin-serpent except that it's surroundings cannot kill it like serpents, so either make them unrequired monsters (which would annoy people running through conquered rooms) or give them another death condition. The best I can think of is that due to its cold state, keeping it in one place for say 30 turns will freeze it turning it into a usable mirror (its dead so you can clear the room).

But how about puzzles where you want to keep it in a box for later use? Well, after 30 turns, if it hasn't moved, it will try to move, disregarding your position unless each space it can move to is adjacent to your sword (so that kill condition can be kept).

So that's what I'd think would make this an appropriate feature request that could possibly be implemented. We don't have any variations of goblins anyway, so this sounds good. Like I already said, the ways you mentioned where it interacts with different elements, especially hot tiles, also makes this an interesting monster.

EDIT: 30 is a lot, I mean 5

EDIT 2: I just realized current DRoD elements don't have much puzzle potential by itself, so "by itself" will now refer to the floor tiles like doors and trapdoors and hot tiles, meaning the metallic roaches qualities that you have described is already ok, but it tends to be restrictive with that invincible characteristic.

[Last edited by vinheim at 11-09-2010 11:21 PM]
11-09-2010 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Metallic Roach (+1)  
Alternatively, whacking it with a sword or detonating an explosion on it while cold will cause it to get rattled for a turn or five so that you have a way to avoid dying but need to stay on your guard.

[Last edited by coppro at 11-11-2010 01:05 AM]
11-11-2010 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DairmossX
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Metallic Roach (0)  
it seems to me, although im thinking kinda funny right now, there are other ways you could implement this to be a little better. have it setup so that it alternates every 30 turns between being mobile, or being locked down. Mobile, it would have goblin movement, so significantly smarter than your standard roach. after the 30 turn mark, it "locks down" and basically becomes an immobile "mirrored" brick that cannot be killed (other than bombs and dropping off platforms). once its locked down, it can be moved around like a mirror (although cannot be broken like a mirror can) to use to temporarily block a passage way, or other useages for mirrors.

of course, since the roach is technically metal, it should be able to reflect the gaze of eyes/aumtlich, even if it isn't locked down.
02-10-2011 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Knaight
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
The basic concept of a Metal Roach could work, however the hot state is currently needlessly complicated. Lets say that it heats up if it starts a turn on a hot tile, and cools down if it starts a turn off a hot tile, and can be killed when hot.
04-18-2011 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
There's an obvious way to implement them -- orimites!!! Have them be killed by them. It sound like a great idea. Why a roach, though? If you're gonna make a big metal thing, why not make it something new? I'd like to see metal beetles.

04-18-2011 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Well, you are technically right - they're a different infraorder (something that I didn't know was a classification until right now) but a cockroach is basically a beetle for all intents and purposes.
04-18-2011 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Cool

04-18-2011 at 07:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Metallic Roach (Concept?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com