Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : View topic as a site page.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon View topic as a site page. (0)  
I'm thinking how easy it could be to create and add pages to the site if we had a page sorta like viewnews.php--call it "viewpage.php". It has the same scroll formatting as viewnews.php, but shows just one topic specified by a TopicID in the querystring. There is an "x replies" link at the bottom taking you to the forum topic, just like the news page.

So once that is in place, I could for example do this: Write a "Songs of the Eighth" page topic that lists all the songs we got in the contest in one clearly-formatted post, and send e-mail to Mattycramp asking him to include a link to it under "Fun Stuff".

Since everybody here knows how to post messages on the forum, and quite a few people write entertaining stuff and know the formatting tricks, I think we'd end up with a lot of good content to put up on the site. Another way of looking at it--we generate scads of cool stuff on this forum, and some of it deserves permanent visibility (but not sticky status). Having a quick way to get it onto the site would prevent it from being lost and forgotten when it is no longer current.

We have a "viewtopic.php" page now, but it isn't designed to look good inside of the site frame, and the forum interface elements are distracting when you want to just browse content--not interact.

-Erik

07-05-2004 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
icon Re: View topic as a site page. (0)  
Sounds cool.

Oh, and,
and send e-mail to Mattycramp
Isn't it Mattcrampy?
07-13-2004 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: GooMonster.jpg (37.2 KB)
Downloaded 257 times.
License: Other
icon Re: View topic as a site page. (+1)  
sebhaque wrote:
Sounds cool.
Hey, Schik got this working by the way. Try http://www.drod.net/forum/viewpage.php?TopicID=3121 for an example. If anybody wanted to do an article, story, or other content, they could simply post it on the forum as a message, and it is ready to go on the site. Only the first message in a topic is shown on viewpage.

There is a neato trick for showing images inside the message: attach an image; right-click on the download attachment link and "Copy link location" or whatever it is on your browser; edit your message; put cursor where you want to insert image; click on the insert image button from the "UBB Code" line; past the link location into the dialog. Here I'll show you...

Isn't it Mattcrampy?
The man is too great to be known by merely one name.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 07-13-2004 at 07:40 PM GMT: Added image.]

07-13-2004 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
What is that?

It looks like some sort of over-grown grub squirting a yellow...err...substance.

Is it a glue-worm, by any chance?

07-13-2004 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HSE
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
It looks like some sort of over-grown grub
It's me. And I'd prefer it f you didn't call me silly names, thank you very much.
07-13-2004 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
sebhaque wrote:
It looks like some sort of over-grown grub
It's me. And I'd prefer it f you didn't call me silly names, thank you very much.

What?

Is that Erik's portrait of you (I thought it's his avatar) or are you just joking with me?

Plus, anyway, I was referring to the picture, not you.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-13-2004 at 10:13 PM GMT]

07-13-2004 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
It's a Goo Monster. I came up with it a long time ago as a new DROD element, but you won't see it in JtRH. The Goo Monster lays down goo wherever it goes. Beethro is forced to sheath his sword when stepping on goo squares, because goo quickly corrodes any metal.

-Erik

07-13-2004 at 11:24 PM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
It's a Goo Monster. I came up with it a long time ago as a new DROD element, but you won't see it in JtRH. The Goo Monster lays down goo wherever it goes. Beethro is forced to sheath his sword when stepping on goo squares, because goo quickly corrodes any metal.

-Erik
Is this because you didn't like the idea of having Beethro not having a sword when he steps on such squares?

I must say this though - your artistic talent (in several aspects of the word) is quite amazing, assuming, of course, that you drew it.

07-13-2004 at 11:56 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Is this because you didn't like the idea of having Beethro not having a sword when he steps on such squares?
No, not really. We just had a lot of other good ideas that happened to go in first. Maybe in some other release there will be a Goo Monster.
I must say this though - your artistic talent (in several aspects of the word) is quite amazing, assuming, of course, that you drew it.
Thanks! (yep, it was me) :)

-Erik

07-14-2004 at 12:31 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : View topic as a site page.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com