Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Player Tiles and Monster Tiles
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Player Tiles and Monster Tiles (+1)  
This idea has probably been mentioned before, but I wanted to reiterate it because I don't believe it is possible in TCB scripting.

Player Tiles are blue dots that can be put on tiles (on a layer much like checkpoints, though both checkpoints and these tiles can be placed on a single tile) that prohibit many elements from standing on these tiles. Only certain elements that can stand on Player Tiles. If any of these elements stand on a Player Tile, they essentially get invulnerability (as monsters cannot move onto Player Tiles) until they move off the tile. When they move off the Player Tile, the tile is considered disabled and disappears and becomes unusable (which means both neutral elements and hostile elements can stand on the tile). Player Tiles do not have permanent status, meaning exiting and reentering a room returns Player Tiles to their original, active state. Here is a list of moving elements that can stand on Player Tiles:
• The player. Obviously.
• Clones. Clones can be placed on these tiles, provided they could be placed on that tile if there wasn't a Player Tile there.
• Mimics. Mimics follow the same placement rules as clones. Mimics will move on and disable Player Tiles like the actual player.
• Decoys. Decoys follow the same placement rules as mimics. If they are killed (by a mimic, clone, or the player, as elements on a Player Tile are immune to neutral or hostile weapons as well as bodies), the Player Tile is disabled.
• Stalwarts. Stalwarts that stand on Player Tiles are given immunity, just like the previous allowed elements. Stalwarts that stand on Player Tiles will disable the Player Tile when they move off of it. For this reason, stalwarts pathfind around Player Tiles to the best of their ability, even ignoring the battlefield advantage they could gain. Nevertheless, stalwarts will move onto Player Tiles if not doing so would mean they would die.
• Slayers. Slayers do not care about Player Tiles and will not change their wisp pathfinding in any way. Slayers that stand on Player Tiles do not get any immunity whatsoever (even neutral elements such as briar and explosions will kill the slayer, though they won't kill anything else admitted on Player Tiles) but will disable the Player Tile if they move off. Because they can stand on Player Tiles, they can kill anything admitted to the Player Tiles with both their hook and body.
Allowed elements on Player Tiles, aside from slayers, are immune to explosions, briar, aumtlich freezing, and enemy swords. Elements on Player Tiles can still be roasted by hot tiles. Also, keep in mind that the room can still end with the death of a Critical Hero even if the Player is standing on a Player Tile.

Monster Tiles do the same thing as Player Tiles but for the opposite population. These tiles are red and give complete immunity to everything not on the list detailed below. If any admitted elements move off of the Monster Tile, the Tile is considered disabled and will fade and become unusable until the room is reentered.
• The player. If the player tries to move onto a Monster Tile, it is as if they tried to bump into a wall. A turn passes, but the player doesn't go anywhere.
• Mimics. Mimics cannot be placed on Monster Tiles and will act like they have run into a wall if they are forced onto a Monster Tile.
• Decoys. Decoys cannot be placed on Monster Tiles.
• Stalwarts. Stalwarts will pathfind around Monster Tiles as if they were pathfinding around a wall.
• Slayers. Slayers can stand on Monster Tiles, though like Player Tiles, they get no immunity and disable the Tile after they move off of it.
• Explosions. Technically not an element, but Monster Tiles will prevent explosions from killing the creature standing on the Tile (slayers excepted).
• Briar. Like Player Tiles, Monster Tiles prevent briar growth on themselves, slayers excepted.
Elements standing on Monster Tiles are immune to the player's sword/body, mimic sword, decoy sword, and stalwart sword. Slayers still can kill elements standing on Monster Tiles.

Just to clarify, aumtlich beams pass over both Player Tiles and Monster Tiles, tarstuff does not grow over either tile but babies can be produced on Monster Tiles if they normally would have been produced, and characters can move over both types of Tile unless they Turn Into Monster, in which case they then follow the described rules.

I realize this post may be somewhat unclear. Please ask for clarification if needed.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
09-17-2010 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: Player Tiles and Monster Tiles (0)  
Can't you already simulate these elements with existing elements to some extent? Player tile areas can be made by creating a closed room with entrance made from creative door/pressure plate or pit/platform combinations, whereas monster tiles can be created using open yellow gates and strategically placed force arrows. Now, these aren't perfect copies of what you describe, but you can tailor the rest of the room to account for these shortcomings.

In my opinion, player and monster tiles are redundant from the architects' perspective.

09-28-2010 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Player Tiles and Monster Tiles (+1)  
eb0ny wrote:
Can't you already simulate these elements with existing elements to some extent? Player tile areas can be made by creating a closed room with entrance made from creative door/pressure plate or pit/platform combinations, whereas monster tiles can be created using open yellow gates and strategically placed force arrows. Now, these aren't perfect copies of what you describe, but you can tailor the rest of the room to account for these shortcomings.

In my opinion, player and monster tiles are redundant from the architects' perspective.
Closed rooms are very different from open tiles in a puzzle. But you can get close to monster tiles by using tokens that must never be activated. If you can script a flying sworded player role (not sure if you can) potions would serve as player tiles.

But that is a bit messy and I think player and monster tiles would be more logical from the players perspective. I have sometimes seen the use for these elements when building. But if they are to be brought in to DROD they should be as simple and logical as possible. I still hold my belief that messy new elements with too many different (non obvious) interactions with other elements is not what DROD needs.

Explosions, briar, gazes, and enemy swords should not be stopped by these new tiles. At least that's what I think would be best.

Edit: And Hi All! :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-28-2010 10:54 PM]
09-28-2010 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: Player Tiles and Monster Tiles (0)  
If it helps you to build better puzzles, then more power to you. It just seems to me that these elements don't add that much to the game.

Then again, I can only speak from a player's perspective.

09-29-2010 at 02:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Player Tiles and Monster Tiles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com