Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Lvl8 3S 3E is the reason I'm deleting DROD
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
ParadoxGreg
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 5
IP: Logged
icon Lvl8 3S 3E is the reason I'm deleting DROD (-6)  
I'm not seeking a hint.

If DROD is capable of creating a room like this one -- where you either leave the room at the right time or you can't leave it at all -- it doesn't belong on my hard drive. I'm deleting DROD now. Good riddance.

That message in the corner didn't make it better. It made it worse. It made me feel strongly inhibited against going through the door in the upper right. That was my mistake.

And I'm glad I made that mistake. Otherwise, I might still be playing DROD.

Greg
07-04-2004 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Lvl8 3S 3E is the reason I'm deleting DROD (+1)  
Um, ok. Nobody forces you to play DROD, you know - if you don't want to, by all means, don't.

I'm sort of baffled by the purpose of your post - do you expect someone to apologize and return you the money you paid for DROD? Oh, wait a minute, that's can't be it, DROD is free. Or maybe you expect someone to be so shocked as to immediately fix this for the next version?

And I don't really get what you mean "you either leave the room at the right time or you can't leave it at all". There are two possible traps in this room - A - if you leave it from the upper right exit with tar babies alive, you won't be able to return. B - if you leave it from the left exit without first going to the upper right exit, you won't be able to return. Neither of these depend on any particular timing. And neither of these mean you have to start the entire game from scratch, or anything like that - you just need to restore the saved game and replay this one room.

And, as you would know if you asked about it rather than shocking us all with your dramatic announcement, you would have discovered that this is the *only* room where you can get stuck like this, out of 350 rooms in the entire dungeon. Which is why there's a warning scroll.

It's hardly DROD's proudest moment - it's basically an old design problem that was caught too late to do anything about it - but I just don't see why it's such a horrid crime that it demanded such a hurt reaction from you. So yeah, DROD isn't 100% perfect. Did anyone ever promise you it will be?

Note - I have no idea if Greg is even reading these forums. This post is more to express my bafflement at his tone (not that he deleted DROD; that's a perfectly sensible thing to do if you don't like it), and to clarify to new players who may bump into this thread that this room isn't the start of a disturbing trend in later DROD levels but rather a room with a unique problem.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-04-2004 at 05:36 AM GMT]

07-04-2004 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Lvl8 3S 3E is the reason I'm deleting DROD (0)  
Ooh, harsh words. The way I see it, the fact that DROD can play host to rooms like that just says something about its flexability in puzzle creation. If you want frustrating rooms, you should see some of the 1,000,000,000+ move rooms that a few players created just for fun.

If you have to redo some of those nasty tar rooms because of that one room (I sure did, hated it too), I suggest that you just buckle down and try it again. There aren't any rooms like that one after that point, and if you can get through the dreaded level 8, you'll find a plethora of greater levels to come after it. You haven't even hit the goblins yet! Goblins are awesome!

</mytwocents>

07-04-2004 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ParadoxGreg wrote:
I'm not seeking a hint.

If DROD is capable of creating a room like this one -- where you either leave the room at the right time or you can't leave it at all -- it doesn't belong on my hard drive. I'm deleting DROD now. Good riddance.
Well, the problem is not as bad as you may think. DROD has a restore function that allows you to restore to that room and replay it. Understandably, if you have completed all the other rooms in the level, you will lose the progress you made in rooms that you completed after 3S 3E, which probably is the cause for your frustration.

However, it isn't as bad as you may think. In the Webfoot version, if you had not made a savefile for previous rooms in level 8, you had to re-do most of the earlier levels as well as 8, which was what happened to me when I played it for the first time.

And I'm glad I made that mistake. Otherwise, I might still be playing DROD.

Greg
To get to level 8 and suddenly give up due to a few lost rooms of data is probably even more a mistake than having started because it means that you lose all the effort you ever put into DROD to begin with, rather than just a few rooms that you can re-do.

I would advise against judging the game on merely a single room which is buggy. This is because the room is certainly not representative of the rest of the hold, and that this is the only room out of 347 that has this problem in it, as Eytan said. However, if you are so frustrated that you may not want to play for a long while, don't delete the game; you may one day change your mind and get a longing to play DROD again.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-05-2004 at 12:07 AM GMT]

07-04-2004 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
If you don't want to keep playing then we don't need to hear about it. Your post was meant for no reason other than to inflame we the people, and I suggest some kind forum moderator make a trip here to lock the thread before more people start giving up the game.

[Edited by DiMono on 07-05-2004 at 01:33 PM GMT]

07-05-2004 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Please don't respond to old threads (more than two weeks) unless you think they are still relevant. This one clearly isn't, as the person who started it never visited the forums again, so he'll never read your answer.

08-20-2004 at 07:03 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Lvl8 3S 3E is the reason I'm deleting DROD
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com