Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Battleships Free-For-All
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged
icon Battleships Free-For-All (+11)  
Battleships Free-For-All

Quite a while ago I had an idea for a contest based on the game Battleships. Unforutnately it never got going, but I am trying again now. The basic idea is that many people play a game simultaneously on a larger grid. Here is how this game will be played:

- I will not play, instead I am the moderator.
- Everyone will have their ships on a 15x15 grid. Opposing ships may touch but will never overlap.
- All the ships are three-tile length ships. I already have a grid with 30 of these ships spread out at random. Which ones a player will get is decided at random.
- The number each player gets will be determined as follows: 5 players=5 ships; 6-7 players=4 ships; 8-10 players=3 ships; 11-15 players=2 ships.
- Five players is the minimum. If more than 15 people sign up then I will draw a larger grid; a 20x20 grid for up to 25 people or a 25x25 grid for up to 40 people.
- At the beginning of the game I will send each player a PM stating where their ships are located on the grid.
- Each round will take two stages:
- Stage 1: Each player sends me a PM specifying coordinates of the squares they want to attack, 3 squares per player per round. The number of shots may increase as players are eliminated.
- Stage 2: I will post a composite list or image of all the shots and whether the shots were hits or misses. I will then announce the beginning of the next round.
- A player will be active as long as he has at least one ship still afloat. As soon as all of a players ships are sunk he is eliminated.

If you want to play just post in this thread saying so. If you have questions, please ask. I am setting an entry deadline ending on Tuesday, August 31.

Edit Sept 1: Signup is now closed, round 1 has started.

Edit Oct 6: TripleM has won the game!

[Last edited by brian_s at 10-06-2010 09:44 PM]
08-19-2010 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All (+1)  
08-19-2010 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I'll play. While strategy for two-player battleship (one opponent) is pretty simple, multiplayer should be an interesting experiment.

08-19-2010 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All (+3)  
Sounds fun.
08-19-2010 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I'll play.
08-19-2010 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
I'll also play.

08-19-2010 at 09:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Count me in :)
08-20-2010 at 08:51 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Yes, I'm in!
08-25-2010 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s
Signup is now closed. We have seven confirmed players:
Jatopian, Chaco, TripleM, Someone Else, Timo006, Syntax, coppro

All players should be recieving a PM from me with the coordiantes of their ships. This also begins round 1. The format for submitting your shots will be a letter A-O (column) followed by a number 1-15 (row).
09-01-2010 at 01:51 PM
brian_s
We are still waiting on one player. If I do not hear from him by the end of the day tomorrow, I will use a missed deadline rule:
Any player who does not have his shots PM'ed to me in time will have his shots chosen at random. I will not check if the coordinates were used previously nor will I check if the shots cause damage to the player's own ships.
09-04-2010 at 05:58 PM
brian_s

File: Round 1 Results.jpg (42.1 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
I am tracking the progress of this contest in an Excel spreadsheet. Attached is a cropped screenshot of the hit/miss results worksheet.

This also begins round 2. Same as before, three shots PMed to me.
09-06-2010 at 03:52 PM
TripleM
Possible suggestion: what do you think of the possibility of labelling each hit with whose ship it is? Might add a little more strategy in the sense of trying to knock people out.
09-06-2010 at 11:27 PM
brian_s
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All (0)  
I like the idea, but by the time I first read your suggestion five people had already submitted their shots. So for this round I will leave things as they are but beginning in round 3 hit ships will be labeled on the results grid.
09-07-2010 at 08:43 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I had to re-read the idea multiple times before I understood it:

This means that confirmed hits will be labelled on the results screen as to whose ship each hit belongs to, right? We'll know who the ships' owners are, not the shots' owners, right?

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-07-2010 10:05 PM]
09-07-2010 at 10:04 PM
brian_s
Yes, the ships' owners will be displayed for the ship segments which have been hit.
09-07-2010 at 10:43 PM
brian_s
Again, we are waiting on one person. I am setting another deadline ending tomorrow. I will have round 2 results/round 3 start on Friday.
09-09-2010 at 12:14 AM
brian_s

File: Round 2 Results.jpg (37.8 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Round 2 results are attached. As stated before, the red numbers represent the players' ships, not the player who made the shots.

Round 3 begins now, same rules but this time I am setting a deadline immediately. The deadline is 8pm Sunday evening(Central time). This means you have approximately 2 1/2 days to send in your submission.

[Last edited by brian_s at 09-10-2010 01:35 PM : Forgot attachment]
09-10-2010 at 01:35 PM
brian_s
I got responses from only four people. I won't be able to give a results sheet until tomorrow afternoon, so I will extend the deadline to tomorrow. The extended deadline ends at Monday 3PM.
09-13-2010 at 01:55 AM
brian_s

File: Round 3 Results.jpg (40.2 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All - Round 4 (+1)  
Round 3 is closed, results attached.

Round 4 begins now and the deadline is this Thursday 8PM (Central time).
09-13-2010 at 09:57 PM
brian_s

File: Round 4 Results.jpg (44.9 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
Round 4 is closed, results attached.

Round 5 begins now and the deadline is this Sunday at 8PM (Central time).
09-17-2010 at 02:08 AM
brian_s

File: Round 5 Results.jpg (46.9 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
Round 5 is closed, results attached. I added an extra column to the results tallying the amount of damage each player has taken.

Round 6 begins now and the deadline is this Wednesday 8PM (Central time).

09-20-2010 at 02:07 AM
brian_s

File: Round 6 Results.jpg (54.7 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All - Round 7 (+1)  
Round 6 is closed, results attached. Note that two players were knocked out this round: Chaco and Someone Else.

With fewer active players, the number of shots per round is being increased to 4 (but if I employ the missed deadline rule, the player will not get the extra shot that round).

For the remaining five players, round 7 begins now and the deadline is this Saturday at 8PM (Central time).
09-23-2010 at 01:58 AM
brian_s

File: Round 7 Results.jpg (49.9 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
Round 6 is closed, results attached.

Round 7 begins now and the deadline is this Tuesday at 8PM (Central time).

[Last edited by brian_s at 09-26-2010 02:44 AM]
09-26-2010 at 02:44 AM
brian_s

File: Round 8 Results.jpg (49.4 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
Round 8 is closed, results attached.

Round 9 begins now and the deadline is this Friday at 8PM (Central time).

This may be the last round, based on how many or how few duplicate shots there are. Choose your shot order carefully because in this round I will track everybody's first shots and see if anyone is eliminated on the first volley. If so, that person is eliminated right then and will not get their second shot off. I will repeat this process for the second, third, and fourth shots. (In effect, you are making four one-shot rounds rather than one four-shot round.)

[Last edited by brian_s at 09-29-2010 03:13 AM]
09-29-2010 at 03:06 AM
brian_s

File: Round 9 Results.jpg (49.4 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
Round 9 is closed, results attached. Coppro became the third player eliminated in this round, he was sunk after each persons second shots were made.

Round 10 begins now and the deadline is this Monday at 8PM (Central time). This round uses the same shot rule as round 9.
10-02-2010 at 01:59 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Drat - I missed a few rounds. Lucky I'm still in!
This could be the final one I feel though...
10-04-2010 at 01:20 PM
brian_s

File: Round 10 Results.jpg (46.3 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All - Final Round (+1)  
Round 10 is closed, results attached. Syntax is the fourth person eliminated, he was sunk in the opening volley of shots. The three remaining players are all heavily damaged, so this will be the final round. Same rules as before and the deadline is this Thursday, but if all the submission come in early, I will report the winner early. Good luck Jatopian, TripleM, and Timo006!
10-05-2010 at 01:56 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Doesn't it cancel out if you wish all of us good luck?

10-05-2010 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Final Results.jpg (46 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All (+2)  
The battle is over . . . TripleM is the winner! :hooray

After each players' first shots, both of Timo006's remaining ships were sunk. Then TripleM finished off Jatopian with his second shot.
10-06-2010 at 09:42 PM
TripleM
icon Re: Battleships Free-For-All (+3)  
Woot! When I saw I was behind going into the last round I realised I probably had the best chance; the two other players were always going to target each other so I just alternately aimed at each opponent's ship and hoped I got lucky.

No strategy involved whatsoever though. I wonder how the game could be improved so some strategy really is involved.

[Last edited by TripleM at 10-06-2010 11:00 PM]
10-06-2010 at 11:00 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Battleships Free-For-All
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No