Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Best way to install/setup/playthrough KDD, JtRH and TCB?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Vertelemming
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon Best way to install/setup/playthrough KDD, JtRH and TCB? (0)  
Been a while since I played DROD and I'm trying to get back into it, but I'm a little stumped by a few details of getting everything setup "properly". I have JtRH and TCB as purchased games, and KDD 2.0 as a .hold file, and I'm not sure of the best way to put all three together; it's apparently possible to play the JtRH .hold file in TCB, but I'm not sure how, and my searching seems to indicate that there's problems with the music if you do (which may or may not be out of date information). Being completely unable to figure all this out myself, is anyone able to give me a quick rundown on the best way to play through the various DROD games at the current time?
06-13-2010 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Best way to install/setup/playthrough KDD, JtRH and TCB? (+4)  
First of all, if you don't have an old player file that you want to continue with, you want to:

1) Run JtRH and create a new player.
2) Click the Export button on the Change Player screen and save a .player file.
3) Run TCB and import that .player file instead of creating a different new player.

That puts you in a situation where you can transfer holds and saved games and stuff from JtRH to TCB and the game will still treat them as yours -- there's an internal player ID that would be different if you just create a new player in each game.

If you do have an old player file, import it into both games now.

Once that's sorted, onto the holds:

The KDD 2.0 hold can be imported into either the JtRH or TCB engines. It'll end up with different styles/music in each engine, but it mostly comes down to personal preference. If you want the experience you would have had from buying KDD 2.0 as a full game, play it in the JtRH engine.

The JtRH hold can also be played in either engine, but with a catch. It can be played in your copy of the JtRH engine right now, of course. Or if you purchase a CaravelNet membership then a revised version of the hold will be available for download in the TCB engine, which uses the additional styles and lighting effects in the new engine (and has the TCB engine music instead of the JtRH engine music). Again, mostly personal preference (and if you weren't otherwise interested in CaravelNet, whether you think it's worth $12 for some pretty lighting...).

The TCB hold, of course, needs to be played in the TCB game.

Personally, I'd vote for playing both KDD and JtRH in the JtRH engine. It just feels right somehow. :)

Note that at any point, you can do another full export from the JtRH Change Player screen and import that file into TCB, and TCB will merge your progress. So if you start playing a hold in the JtRH engine, you can carry your game straight into the same hold in the TCB engine. That doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense when you're doing the initial playthrough, but it means you can end up with all your saves and demos in once place (the TCB engine) at the end. Note that the import only brings in saves for a hold if it's already installed in the TCB engine at the time of import (but you can install more holds and re-import the player file as often as you need to).

As a final side-thought, there's at least one user-made hold ("The Fool's Errand") which is best experienced in the JtRH engine, not TCB. There might be others but I'm not aware of them. Again, you can do the initial playthrough in the JtRH engine and then transfer your progress to the TCB engine for completeness.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 06-13-2010 03:08 PM]
06-13-2010 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Vertelemming
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Best way to install/setup/playthrough KDD, JtRH and TCB? (0)  
That is exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you. :D

Rooted Hold, here I come...
06-14-2010 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Best way to install/setup/playthrough KDD, JtRH and TCB?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com