Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Webfoot music: Corrupted midi file? (I'm having a problem with the level 3 music.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezmar
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Webfoot music: Corrupted midi file? (0)  
I downloaded the good old Original music for DROD, I played it back when it was just a demo, on the Win 95 smash 100 games package. Anyway, I imported the files, and everything works great... Except for the Level three music. (and all the other levels with that design, I just associate it with level three.) It's all fine, except for one particular problem: the piano seems to be a half step higher than it's supposed to, and this obviously clashes horribly. It's pretty weird, I downloaded it again, but it's still there. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and, barring that, if anyone would know why this was happening and how I could fix it. Again, there's no problem with anything else, it's just the piano that's a half-step sharp.
06-03-2010 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Webfoot music: Corrupted midi file? (0)  
All I could suggest is attaching the file so others can check it
06-07-2010 at 01:24 AM
Ezmar

File: lev3-s16.mi_ (54.5 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Other
Oh, yeah, I guess I should have done that, still learning the ropes here. But my brother downloaded it as well, and the same thing happens with his, as well. It seems to be something wrong with the file available for download, I'm surprised no one else has had this problem. It Might have something to do with the config file, but that was supplied as well, so all evidence points to internal trouble, though I won't rule out the possibility of me doing something screwy.
06-07-2010 at 09:02 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Well, for starters, that's not a .mid , it's a .mi_
I vaguely remember hearing something about that last time this came up, but it might've been "that's normal" so I dunno. Are the others .mid or .mi_ ?

06-07-2010 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezmar
Yeah, the others are exactly the same. It WAS the Midi download, as opposed to the .ogg download, because for whatever reason that one didn't have a configuration file or whatever, but I don't think it's "normal" in the sense that there's nothing wrong with it; The piano's definitely off, different from how I remember it. Although It could just be a problem that just Is for everyone, and maybe no one's fixed it, or people just don't care. In any case, I'd like to See if I can do anything. It's not destroying my sanity or anything, it would just be nice to have it working right.
06-08-2010 at 02:04 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just wanted to say that the midi files are not properties of Caravel Games, but Webfoot.

Please do not encourage other people to post copyrighted files that might get them banned.

======

As for the original problem, if you want to listen to the music as it was played on your old computer, you have to play it on your old computer.

The thing is, midi files are much smaller than mp3 files because the midi file doesn't include the piano sounds. How the midi file sounds depends on the midi player. Some midi players uses piano sounds from the operating system, other players make up their own, and older computers uses the piano sounds from the sound card.

So, it's "normal" that midi files play differently on every computer.

06-08-2010 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezmar
All right. Sorry about any unintentional copyright issues I may have created, and I'm glad to know for sure that I can't do anything about it. Thanks!
06-08-2010 at 03:49 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
And apologies for suggesting to upload it... Guess I just wanted to check it wasn't corrupted ie 0 bytes long or something, or at least that it worked for me.
06-08-2010 at 07:52 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
icon Re: Webfoot music: Corrupted midi file? (+2)  
I know this thread is a few years old, but since I have recently taken an interest in how MIDI works, I figured out what the problem is. MIDI files each have 16 channels with channel 10 reserved for drum kits (with different notes corresponding to various kinds of percussion sounds). All the other channels default to a grand piano sound unless program changes tell them to play other instruments. For some reason, in the s16 version of lev2, the drum kit tracks were placed in a channel that wasn't meant to be used instead of in channel 10, so instead it plays piano notes. While this should be fixable with a MIDI sequencer, distributing such a fix would likely require permission from Webfoot and/or LKA.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 03-20-2018 07:38 AM]
03-22-2013 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
melvin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
You could use xdelta and upload only the patch.
You're not distributing any of their stuff in that case and the patch is 100% useless if you do not have the original files in the first place. This way some more people could enjoy the music.

- Melvin.

[Last edited by melvin at 07-17-2013 11:15 AM]
07-17-2013 at 10:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
(I'm not sure what that is so this may be a pointless post) but that particular file has been encoded so that you can only play it in DROD, so you can't edit it anyway.

The only way to solve this would then be to get Lars or whoever did it in the first place to correct the original files and then encode them again.

Can't you use the OGGs available for download?
07-17-2013 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Unfortunately the OGGs don't work in AE.

-Noah

My stuff:

01-02-2014 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Webfoot music: Corrupted midi file? (I'm having a problem with the level 3 music.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com