Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The Demons of Colour (New tileset....Try it!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: Demon2.zip (113.2 KB)
Downloaded 194 times.
License: Other
icon The Demons of Colour (+2)  
Post all comments here please! I'm using it in a new hold I'm making, and wanted some opinions.

Finished (For now anyway...give it a shot!)

Currently, this is in v2, but changes still need to be made. Give it a shot and point out what you find to look bad.

Installation is a bit further down in the topic.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-15-2004 at 02:40 AM GMT]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-02-2004 at 11:38 PM]

06-30-2004 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Beethro in Happyland! update. (+2)  
Hooray for updates! In this post, I'm just trying to explain my madness a bit:

This tileset is being used in a new hold I'm making called "Demons of Colour". The basic premace of the story is that Beethro comes into the dugeon seeing that all the colours in there are gone, meaning the dungeon is only black, white & grey to start off with. Each floor will focus on an enemy, which "holds" a colour. As you progress through the dungeon, colour returns. For example:If the first level was based on the Living Tar(Which is red right now), then the next level would have black, white, grey and red. It should be an interesting hold visually and in difficulty as well. And, if you want to download it but are curious first, here are the colours each monster is.

Roach - Dark Green
Roach Queen - yellow
Goblin - orange
Living Tar/Tar Mother - Red
Snakes - Blue
Wraithwings - Purple
Brains - Light Blue
Spiders - Permanant Camoflage(Basically, They have White and Red eyes only.
Eyes - Teal Pupils & Pink Eyes

That's just right now...more to come. By the way, I'm hoping to make this an entire graphical upgrade. Any comments, questions or ideas are greatly appreciated!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-14-2004 at 10:10 PM GMT]

06-30-2004 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: The Demons of Colour (0)  
That actually sounds quite cool. I assume we will still be able to distinguish between different kinds of doors somehow? Or will there be only yellow doors on the first one, then introduce green etc?

I'm really looking forward to this one :)

"Oook!"
06-30-2004 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yup - sounds like a fun concept, I'm looking forward to seeing it in action...

06-30-2004 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Well, today is your lucky day!

After realizing most people would want to see it, I made a test hold using a B&W "Cavern" theme. Backup your GeneralTiles.bmp and Style1Tiles.bmp, then extrat all files to your DROD/Data/Bitmaps folder, and import the hold named "Graphics Test Hold". Hope you enjoy!

krammer said:
That actually sounds quite cool. I assume we will still be able to distinguish between different kinds of doors somehow? Or will there be only yellow doors on the first one, then introduce green etc?

I'm really looking forward to this one
Unfortunatly, doors are a part of GeneralTiles.bmp and doesn't change from style to style, so they will be different shades of grey(One black, one white, one light grey, one dark grey). Or I may just say "To heck with it!" and leave them in colour.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 06-30-2004 at 06:32 PM GMT]

06-30-2004 at 07:28 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Okay...I realized that making holds isn't my specialty. What I am looking for is someone talented in making holds to design a normal, fairly challenging hold based on the tileset/story I wrote about. I will be doing all the graphics, so don't worry about that. However, this is completly optional as I will probably make one anyway if no one wants to do this. If you are interested, either PM me on the forum or shoot one of to me at gamer_extreme_101 at hotmail.com. I look forward to seeing people interested in this (I hope, anyways)

EDIT: I'd just like to point out that I am NOT asking people to help because I am lazy or anything, but just because I know that a lot more people (DiMono, ClaytonW, agaricus5, eytanz, Watcher, etc.) can make holds 100x better than I can. I don't want to end up wasting what I think to be good graphics/idea on a bad hold. With the right people making it, I think that this hold could be a prequel/sequel to KDD, and would be a fresh new hold that would tide us over till JtRH. Remember, there doesn't need to be certain themes on each level: just make a good hold and I'll fit the graphics to each level. Who knows? This may turn out into a kind-of "expansion" for DROD?!?

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-01-2004 at 02:23 AM GMT: Added Footnote]

07-01-2004 at 03:18 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Demons of Colour (+1)  
Well, I'm not really able to do anything like these these days - between work and other prior commitments I have little free time. But I wish you luck - this definitely sounds like something that would be interesting to play.

And, by the way, don't underestimate your room development skills - the only real secret to making a good hold is avoiding the temptation to rush it. If you take the time to polish your rooms, and playtest them to avoid bugs and unintended solutions, you'll end up with a good hold. And don't worry if you don't feel you have enough good ideas - I find that ideas come as you work. What I find very helpful was to build a basic layout for a level, and then fill in the rooms one at a time - that's how I built both holds that I've done so far, and that's how I'm working on the hold I'm doing now (which is several months away, given the obvious constraints).

07-01-2004 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'd have to agree, taking your time is pretty vital. Also, you should make sure that you're not throwing monsters at the player for the sake of throwing monsters at them. If your point can be made with ten monsters, why use five hundred?

If you scrounge around in the Architecture forum, and examine the holds sitting there, I'm sure you'll find a couple ideas you will realize you can build on, and from that will come the basis for a few rooms. Then you can change up room layout, and suddenly you have an entire level. My most recent hold "Tar Caves" was born 100% from suddenly finding an efficient way to clear horizontal tar 5 squares wide, so really it can come from anything.

Just have faith in yourself, and remember that the Architecture forum is your friend... are your friends... you know what I mean.

07-01-2004 at 04:09 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Thanks for the confidence! Last night, I scoured the arcitecture forum & the holds and downloaded almost every hold. I then went a playing spree and got some good ideas from it. My new thought are that it will be a fairly deep hold, but will take some time. My ultimate goal is to have it out before JtRH, but we'll see about that. Besides, I'm out of school and have till August 19 of free days to spend. Wish me luck!

Oh yes, and just for a quick idea, a little spoiler I included:
Click here to view the secret text

07-01-2004 at 04:11 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Well, today is your lucky day!

After realizing most people would want to see it, I made a test hold using a B&W "Cavern" theme. Backup your GeneralTiles.bmp and Style1Tiles.bmp, then extrat all files to your DROD/Data/Bitmaps folder, and import the hold named "Graphics Test Hold". Hope you enjoy!
Unfortunatly, doors are a part of GeneralTiles.bmp and doesn't change from style to style, so they will be different shades of grey(One black, one white, one light grey, one dark grey). Or I may just say "To heck with it!" and leave them in colour.
Actually, this can be remedied by altering the the style images and corresponding .tim files accordingly. GeneralTiles.bmp contains tiles that are the same in all room styles. So...if you want any of those to be different across room styles, just move those image tiles out of GeneralTiles.bmp and move them into each Style*Tiles.bmp. Then, move the matching tile #s in the GeneralTiles.tim to each style*tiles.tim.

The .tim format is as follows:

There is a sequence of numbers that refer to each tile in the .bmp, in that order (left-to-right, top-to-bottom), so DROD knows what tile is used for what. The #s can all be typed on one line, but usually are separated into distinct lines for readability (note that carriage returns don't affect the positional semantics). For example,

1-2,7,15,!1,3

signifies that, from the top-left corner of the image, are tiles #1, #2, #17, #15, one blank tile (skipped space), and #3. If you rearrange the tiles in an image, the numbers that match these tiles must be reordered in the corresponding .tim in the same fashion. Moving sprites from GeneralTiles to all the Style*Tiles will work if you transfer their respective #s across the .tims as well.

Now you can have the general tiles appear as different colors in different rooms!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-01-2004 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Thanks for all the info Mike - I owe you one!

One last question for you - how big is each object in pixels?

07-02-2004 at 03:05 AM
DiMono
14x14 pixels

07-02-2004 at 03:58 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, I made a major update, changing a couple of things....Okay, everything except roaches are changed. I had noticed that I had repeated a couple of colours in the origional, so now every character has a different colour.

In other news, I decided to "cheap out" by using only 1 real tileset and just adding colours on as I go. Jeez I'm lazy, but it'll still look good, I promise!

07-14-2004 at 05:17 PM
DiMono
It had better, or we'll take your fingers!

You might want to remove the attachment from the top of the thread though, or move the new attachment up there, so people don't accidentally download the wrong files.

07-14-2004 at 08:58 PM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
It had better, or we'll take your fingers!

You might want to remove the attachment from the top of the thread though, or move the new attachment up there, so people don't accidentally download the wrong files.

Meh. They both work. But just to make you happy, I'm doing it.

07-14-2004 at 10:47 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Guess what? I finished it! Hooray!

Of course, installing it will be a pain, I guarantee you. Currently, I have 2 installs of DROD up and running; one with the default tilesets, one with mine. Now, I'm not telling everyone to go make another install just to check my tilesets out, all I'm asking is to just try it once. The easiest way would be to head over to the DROD/Data, copy the "Bitmaps" folder to another place, unpack the zip file in the origional "Bitmaps", and try it out. Just explore it in the editor a bit and tell me what you think should be changed.

When you revert back to the origional, just copy the "Bitmaps" folder you backed up to it's origional position, and overwrite all files when asked.

07-15-2004 at 03:37 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
While using these tilesets, I somehow managed to screw up my backups, so I've lost the original tilesets. Could someone attach a zip of the original stylextiles.tim and .bmp files? Thanks in advance.

And good job on them, gamer. They're very well-made, from what I've seen so far. :thumbsup

07-26-2004 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Here you be:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3228

The first download link (Doom's) has just the StylexTiles, but mine has every Bitmap in the folder.

07-26-2004 at 11:15 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Thanks. I thought someone had posted the files before, but I couldn't find them.

07-27-2004 at 11:44 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Unless I'm very much mistaken, they're also available on the site under "Extras Download".

Matt

08-03-2004 at 12:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Mattcrampy wrote:
Unless I'm very much mistaken, they're also available on the site under "Extras Download".
He asked about that before you were kind enough to post them on the website, Matt. :)

08-04-2004 at 12:13 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Update: Whole GeneralBitmaps file has been changed. I made the colours a heckuva lot different, and I think they look a lot better. However, I want to change the Style tiles as well to incorperate an "Outdoor" feel.

12-02-2004 at 11:42 PM
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
Hi Gamer.

You probably know this already, but just to be sure, there is a little flaw in the red tar, in one of the innercorner.

Birkoff.

[Edited by Birkoff at Local Time:12-03-2004 at 01:16 PM]

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
12-03-2004 at 01:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The Demons of Colour (New tileset....Try it!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com