Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Last Level Stairs Bug Revealed!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Last Level Stairs Bug Revealed! (0)  
So I figured out what causes the stairs on the last level of your hold to target the same level they're on. It's caused by changing hold editing permissions for a hold, while it's not the hold you're currently playing. So if you're playing through, say, one of my holds, and you decide to change editing permissions on one of your holds, the stairs on the last level will be retargetted. I can only assume this holds true for any stairs that point ot end of hold.

06-30-2004 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: Last Level Stairs Bug Revealed! (0)  
So that's what it is. It's driving me crazy. About every good hold I finish, the exit doesn' work :(
07-01-2004 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
DiMono wrote:
So I figured out what causes the stairs on the last level of your hold to target the same level they're on. It's caused by changing hold editing permissions for a hold, while it's not the hold you're currently playing. So if you're playing through, say, one of my holds, and you decide to change editing permissions on one of your holds, the stairs on the last level will be retargetted. I can only assume this holds true for any stairs that point ot end of hold.
I'd love to get down to the bottom of this mystery. I can't reproduce this behavior, though. It might be some situation that's even more specific than you're describing, but it seems unlikely to me (when you change a hold's editing permissions the code doesn't even go near changing staircase destinations). If this behavior is reproducable in your installation, could you please post your zipped .dats, with step-by-step instructions on how to start with a correct hold and break a staircase destination.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-02-2004 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I zipped my dats and stuck them up in part of my website. You can grab them here unless something really strange happens, like the earth suddenly crashing in to the sun.

07-03-2004 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
Question: Are we able to switch that stair back to where it should go?
07-03-2004 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
dividendD wrote:
Question: Are we able to switch that stair back to where it should go?
Sure, that should work. Sometimes, a staircase needs to be deleted and then replaced to remove all the bad data successfully, so I'd recommend fixing corrupted stairs by deleting them and placing a new one. Incidentally, we'll release a patch sometime soon that ought to have this stair corruption fixed. Once it's released, then users will only have to fix up any remaining bad stairs and it shouldn't happen any more after that.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-03-2004 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I'm making a quick new hold in 1.6.6.6.4.17, and the hold is still in "Only You" editing since I'm too lazy to change it. It seems like whenever I point the stairs on my level to end hold, since the next level isn't there yet, and then I add the next level, the previous level's stairs have been redirected back to their level. It all seems so simple all of a sudden. Could this really be it?

09-19-2004 at 05:44 AM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Still not simple, but I think that it is! It seems to be on mine, unless I did something differently..
09-19-2004 at 04:04 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Copying stairs or rooms with stairs and moving them (especially between levels) caused me a few problems in the past with odd stair destinations. I don't think DROD still does this now in the latest patch, but stairs are still reset to "End Hold" on copying (which, I believe, is intended, correct?). Bad stairs, however, leave a one-square left-over of themselves when deleted (which is where the bad association is), so you can identify them.

09-20-2004 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Yeah, this also deletes all of your scrolls. Annoyingly. I think.
10-13-2004 at 10:47 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Yesterday I finished "The Fool's Errand", I took the stairs and a screen with :"You conquered The Fool's Errand ..."

But today I was playing it again and now the stairs took me back to the begining of the level.

I hope it's usefull information

02-21-2005 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
robin wrote:
Yesterday I finished "The Fool's Errand", I took the stairs and a screen with :"You conquered The Fool's Errand ..."

But today I was playing it again and now the stairs took me back to the begining of the level.

So...did you do anything else in DROD in-between these two times playing The Fool's Errand? Did you start the hold over or did you play a restored game? Are any other holds you have displaying this bug?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-21-2005 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: Last Level Stairs Bug Revealed! (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
robin wrote:

So...did you do anything else in DROD in-between these two times playing The Fool's Errand? Did you start the hold over or did you play a restored game? Are any other holds you have displaying this bug?

Game on,

* I started it from the restore screen, with button "hold start"
and then "restore".
* what I also did: I started a new dungeon in the build
section. I only have one room with nothing in it (yet).
* I tested also "dance of death" this one doesn't finish
anymore to (also goes back to the begining)
* I tested all other dugeons that I have finished and none of them finishes either, except for "king dugan's dungeon"
I even deleted my new dungeon and it still doesn't work

If I can help with something, just ask me

PS my dad mostly doesn't notice he's on the same level. so most dungeons he plays, are 2 or 3 "levels" longer then the one I play :lol

[Edited by robin at Local Time:02-22-2005 at 10:59 PM]

02-22-2005 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Last Level Stairs Bug Revealed!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com