Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The King's Will (No, I'm not abandoning Chrono Experiment Kain)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged

File: The Kings Will.drh (29 KB)
Downloaded 128 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The King's Will (0)  
But when I feel up to do another epic level set, I'll be making up rooms in The King's Will. In this reality, you are a young knight who has a father in service of the King. For many years you've trained to earn your blue-trimmed equipment and now you are ready to serve the King as your father does. The game begins when you are in a resting room awaiting your audience with King Elrich.

Notable features that will be made in this levelset: A castle that will grow based on NPCs that YOU can recruit. Take care who you kill and who you save, or who you talk to and choose to recruit, because some NPCs won't join if others do, and some obviously won't join if you kill them. I plan on giving the player a -lot- of recruitable characters. In the game, there are already 7 characters that will end up in the Fort even if there's only the first chapter done. (The end of the chapter is right after the player cleans the rock golem room.)

As your castle expands, more rooms are made available; if there is one room where there is no NPC at all, then you have missed recruiting someone or that character is permanently non-recruitable. I'm building the Fort right now and let me tell you, it's a very pretty sight so far. I can't wait to see what it's like when it will be done.

This levelset is inspired by Suikoden I and II, which were the best RPG games of the playstation 1 that were ever, and will ever be made.

QUICK EDIT: For those new to downloading it, please scroll down to get the latest version. I'm merely keeping all the versions in case... I don't know in case of what, but it's just in case.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-21-2010 11:36 PM]
05-15-2010 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: The King's Will (0)  
Interesting! Based on your description, Fang, I am very much looking forward to playing through this level set. I'll edit this post with comments when I finish.

EDIT:
-Elrich Guards are hostile. According to the story, it seems like they will be hostile at some point, but there is a script that lets them not be hostile until a certain point.
-GrandCastle has a capital C. Any reason?
-I will have to check this later, but wouldn't 'King's dogs' really be 'Kings' dogs'? Again, I'm still unsure about this. Yep. It's "King's dogs", alright. No change is necessary.
-It's pointless to try (if such a feature were in the level set), but the player cannot decline the apparent obligation to remove the rock golems and giant in Underroad: Quarce South. It wouldn't add much to put in a bit of speech following a hypothetical decline, but if the player is a bit of a rebel, the extra script commands could improve the immersion of the hold. Wait, is immersion the right word?

Other than that, I'm greatly enjoying this hold so far. Keep it up! :D

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 05-15-2010 02:46 AM]
05-15-2010 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
The fact that Elrich Guards are hostile is only because "they can be killed" and the game deems them as hostile; this doesn't mean they will be hostile but you could kill them if you wanted, much like recruitable characters that can be killed will appear as 'hostile'. And let's face it, for them, you're nothing special anyway, just a newbie who thinks he's all that because his father is the King's favorite knight captain. They have all the rights in the world to be hostile. You can't kill them and they can't harm you for the time you spend around them anyway.

As for the lack of a decline option, I didn't put one in because, well, can you not feel ready with all your buffed up gear? Also, if the player is a bit of a rebel, he wouldn't decline; since they're all rebels anyway. In fact, he'd decline if he wasn't one! But I might add an option to decline.

I know it's dumb but a lot of the choices are going to be dead-ends if you decline. Some will be important but most don't matter, much like at the beginning if you decline your entry in the King's service, he laughs and says you have a good sense of humor.

To address the GrandCastle issue, well, it is the name of the castle. Adrmant GrandCastle is the largest castle in the world, after all.

05-15-2010 at 03:28 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
In both your new holds the lines passes by so quickly so that I don't have time to read them.
05-15-2010 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
It's a common problem I've found as I made holds... I adjust the time they appear to my reading speed, but I can add a few seconds to each if necessary from then on. I'll change the scripts that already exist later, I hope it won't be a major inconvenience until then.

05-15-2010 at 02:27 PM
Fang

File: The Kings Will.drh (2.5 MB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Pretty big update here, even though not much content is added. What I've done these past two days was the entire Rebelliance Fort. A lot of scripts are missing, but the mainstream idea is there. You can visit it if you want, by heading to Rebelliance 1E where a script will open the entire building to you. Of course, that is only for simple amusement until I post the next update; the script will be gone by then. Make sure to save BEFORE going in the 1E room so you can restart from there when you will play for real.

As for story-wise, there's a little that has been added. I suggest doing the small storyline until you get to exit the Fort before exploring it, so you can properly experience the little cutscenes. The leveling system will make its grand return in this hold, with 99 levels to gain; you begin at level 0. The inventory screen is renamed "Status screen" as it show both your levels and the characters you have recruited so far, and which ones are permanently unavailable. If the sprite is blackened, then that character is gone forever until you reload before the event in which it was gone and make other choices.

The file size has gone from little to enormous. That's because of the music. I'm sorry about that.

05-16-2010 at 07:59 PM
12th Archivist
HAH! I loved the music. Did you make it yourself, Fang? Very appropriate!

Nice updates as well. Looking forward to more content, as always.

05-16-2010 at 09:15 PM
Fang
I didn't make them, sadly. I wish I could make music that great. The themes are taken from Suikoden I and II original soundtrack (which means I won't be able to publish this hold outside of Architecture). The one for the Fort theme is Beautiful Golden City from I and the other is Tactics from II.

05-16-2010 at 09:20 PM
Fang

File: The Kings Will.drh (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 43 times.
And before I head to sleep (1:15 AM) I can manage a -second- update today! This one offers storyline up until Carol guides you through Grassy Lowlands 1N. Good night everyone and have a fun time.

EDIT: Also introducing the leveling system this time. Level 0-9 take 50 REP each, then 10-19 take 100, 20-39 take 200, 40-59 take 300, 60-79 take 400, 80-100 take 500 for a total of 30,000 REP points. Past that you gain no more levels. Depending if you chose to be a Knight or a Warrior, you will gain different stats.

[Last edited by Fang at 05-17-2010 06:17 AM]
05-17-2010 at 06:15 AM
Blondbeard
Never ending cutscene in the map-room. Nice music, by the way :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-17-2010 06:40 AM]
05-17-2010 at 06:40 AM
Fang

File: The Kings Will.drh (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 50 times.
When does the never-ending cutscene happen? It works fine on my side, did you begin anew from Rebelliance Fort: Entrance?

That's something I forgot to say. The Fort's rooms probably will be updated so each time you want to experience the full content up to the current end, you have to restart at the Entrance. It might get annoying, but remember it's still an unfinished hold and things can and will probably change. As you may or may not know (the "you" applies to whoever reads this post) rooms the player has already visited don't update unless you warp back to a previous save. I will make an autosave for when you first enter the Entrance.

Also, if you haven't done so already, download the Sandstone style (a quick search will get you to the thread, I forgot the link) so the Status Screen can look better. Will be needed for future levels, at which point I'll probably fetch the link since it will be needed.

One last thing: I will reupload the hold here, because I forgot to take out a variable NPC that I used for testing. Very sorry.

[Last edited by Fang at 05-17-2010 03:33 PM]
05-17-2010 at 03:24 PM
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Why does the autosave as you're leaving the Rebelliance Fort say Inventory + Sword get even though there's no sword?
05-20-2010 at 05:59 PM
Fang
Oh that's right... I aimed to give the sword to the player at that point but I figured a sword would appear too soon after I made the script, so when I deleted stuff, I forgot to change it. Thank you, I'll fix it in the next release.

I'm taking a while for said release because I found myself a part-time job to pay my rent for university in one year, so I have less free time, and the next release is going to be pretty big. I plan to make the entire ninja section done, which includes a side-section of alchemists and mages for the important characters, and about 6 optional characters too. It's a pretty big update. If you want an estimate in %, it's about 20% done. This weekend not much will happen, so I'll probably make it to 40%-50%.

[Last edited by Fang at 05-21-2010 01:29 PM]
05-21-2010 at 01:28 PM
deftriver
Glad to hear, about that, I'm across the temporary bridges, and looking forward to more.
05-21-2010 at 05:40 PM
Blondbeard
Nice work! I really apreciate the interactive feeling in tho hold. And this time the cutscene in the map-room worked just fine. But the aprentice sword doesen't seem to be working. In the Grassy Lowlands the hero keeps the sword sheated, even though there are enemies to use it on.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-22-2010 10:51 AM]
05-22-2010 at 10:50 AM
deftriver
Blondbeard wrote:
Nice work! I really apreciate the interactive feeling in tho hold. And this time the cutscene in the map-room worked just fine. But the aprentice sword doesen't seem to be working. In the Grassy Lowlands the hero keeps the sword sheated, even though there are enemies to use it on.

I noticed that about the sword, I just figured it was because the sword was for training.
05-23-2010 at 04:00 AM
Fang
I forgot to fix the Equipment Disable / Enable switch between the two zones. It's done now, so next update will fix it; not that there's anything to really use the sword on before the next part (that is relevant to the storyline, I mean).

05-23-2010 at 04:22 AM
Blondbeard
Perhaps not, but it would be kind of dumb not to use it in order to pick up keys, potions and gems.
05-23-2010 at 12:07 PM
Fang

File: The Kings Will.drh (4.2 MB)
Downloaded 43 times.
And an update. Everything should work fine until you hit the current end room at Eighth Fastness 2N3W. Do not explore 3N3W or 1N3N if you don't want to restart from your last save in the next update. The Fastness is very, very big, so this is part one. I'll probably divide the entire castle in three parts.

And to think this castle is about one eighth of the entire game, without counting all of the subzones in between. Sheesh. I originally planned to make it much smaller but once again, I just had to make it bigger than the Imperial Tower in Gurenocalypse.

Edit: Also, there's a part where you lose all your keys, since obviously, when you're in a prison, you don't get to keep what you own.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-05-2010 07:49 PM]
06-05-2010 at 06:32 PM
deftriver
There's a never ending cut scene in the subcellar
06-05-2010 at 11:40 PM
Fang
What room is that in?

06-06-2010 at 10:34 PM
12th Archivist
Fang wrote:
What room is that in?
The first room the player enters in the level. The entrance.

I haven't checked the scripting, but I believe it is because there is no "Cut Scene: 0" command after the ninja leaves the room.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-06-2010 11:41 PM]
06-06-2010 at 11:41 PM
Fang

Downloaded 45 times.
I see now. I was pretty sure I had fixed it, but here's an updated version. As before, don't explore the aforementioned rooms if you don't want to have to reload. Although a few more rooms have stuff in them, the current end point remains the same as what has been placed hasn't been tested by me.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-07-2010 12:52 AM]
06-07-2010 at 12:50 AM
deftriver
But it happens again in 1S2E after the second cut scene taking back the sword.
06-07-2010 at 11:07 PM
Fang

Downloaded 51 times.
I don't see these because somehow my version does the cutscene 0 even if there's none scripted, that or my computer acts weird and I don't get the stuck thing. I'll fix it in a bit, and attach it to this message.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-07-2010 11:46 PM]
06-07-2010 at 11:42 PM
deftriver
Works now, of course now I'm just wandering around the Eight Fastness, confused and loving it.
06-08-2010 at 04:32 AM
Fang

Downloaded 97 times.
Could you all post your stats after you have defeated the Eighth Legioneer guarding the blue key? I will begin testing on my own very soon and I'd need different stats than those I got by myself. Be sure to include if you took the Knight or Warrior path as they give different stats upon leveling up. After this, I'll be very close to releasing the next part of the Fastness, which will include the first major encounter along with the possibility to recruit some other characters.

Quick edit: I've attached the new version, but some things are still to be tweaked. Tell me about the current difficulty when you face the first image encounter. I've only tested it on my part but that's a bit cheap considering I've made the hold.

06-22-2010 at 07:47 PM
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
Well, I haven't recorded the stats for early battles, but here's my stats on defeating Taran Kahv (and grabbing the stuff):
HP 1760
ATK 52
DEF 14
GR 326
REP 416
Keys 6/2/3/0
Apprentice Sword, Wooden Shield, Subcellar Smallkey (what is that even for? Maybe I shouldn't have skipped all the dialogue.)
I'm assuming this is as far as the hold goes for now, since I can't go on to the room past the 3 blue doors.
I took the Warrior Path.
Also, how do I get the 4 ATK gems in Eighth Fastness: 3S? (Why is it called the Fastness?)
06-23-2010 at 05:39 AM
Fang
fastness
a. A secure or fortified place; a stronghold.
b. A remote, secret place.

(Online dictionary)

Basically I didn't want to call it "Stronghold" or "Fortress" or "Castle" because they're all named like that. I searched for synonyms and stumbled on Fastness.

The four attack gems will be available once the player gets the briar cutter, as will the npc that seems to be trapped inside the huge, 8-rooms square garden; note that those rooms are not complete yet and will feature a long puzzle to gain this NPC later on.

The endroom is indeed right before entering the brownfloor area. I call it like that because platforms on the map show up brown, and this floor was entirely made of platforms to have a 'new' type of floor.

Also, your stats seem way higher than what I have on my file, perhaps I just haven't been trying, but I will definitely adjust the difficulty on this part.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-23-2010 04:04 PM]
06-23-2010 at 04:03 PM
Connoraustin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
I restarted this hold to see whether there was any changes and I think that there were, the apprentice sword isn't given to you when you talk to Sark after recruiting the watchguards. Either that or I'm not doing it right. What's going on? :huh

06-28-2010 at 06:07 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The King's Will (No, I'm not abandoning Chrono Experiment Kain)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com