Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Status of Feature Requests
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Status of Feature Requests (+2)  
Vike91 made this list and updated it about a year ago. Within that topic, Tim remarked that "an automatically generated list would be nice." It was never an official request, nor did anyone mention how hard/easy it would be to implement. If it isn't that difficult to implement, I would like to officially request such a list and recommend that it should be stickied at the top of this board. Then, those us wondering about the status of a particular request (oh, I don't know, say, the ability to download any of my own demos even if they're not in the top 25, or perhaps, the ability to get coordinates during a demo playback) would have one post we could quickly check to find out its status (if any.) As well, I think lots of people would just be interested in the information. And, of course, it would certainly save Vike91 the time that it takes to update his list. The post should probably include a caveat to the effect of "this list is for general information only" and "please don't nag us."

04-01-2010 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979

File: FR status april 2010.ods (11.7 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Status of Feature Requests (+3)  
As a exercise I've tried to see how much work it is to update such a list.

This file took me some time, but certainly faster than anyone else.

So if an automatic version is too much work (which I currently believe it is), I don't mind being nagged every, say, 2 months.
noma wrote:
The post should probably include a caveat to the effect of "this list is for general information only" and "please don't nag us."

04-02-2010 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma

File: FR status april 2010.xls (25 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
icon Re: Status of Feature Requests (0)  
Thanks for the collation. Since I don't have Open Office, I uploaded the file to GoogleDocs and saved it down to Excel. (The converted file is attached.)

Does the Open Office version have links back to the topics? I think that's an important feature for this kind of list. I suppose people could check the doc and then perform a search on the board if they wanted to read the actual topic, but that's a bit of a hack.
04-02-2010 at 04:04 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516

File: FR status april 2010.xls (55.5 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
icon Re: Status of Feature Requests (+1)  
noma wrote:
Does the Open Office version have links back to the topics? I think that's an important feature for this kind of list. I suppose people could check the doc and then perform a search on the board if they wanted to read the actual topic, but that's a bit of a hack.
Well, I don't know how, but GoogleDocs managed to strip all the links out of the resulting file you have attached to your post - here's an XLS version converted directly with OpenOffice that actually retains them.

np: Squarepusher - Seb-1.05 (Solo Electric Bass 1)

04-02-2010 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Status of Feature Requests (+3)  
Well, I had something like this put together already, but just for people who can assign bugs.

I touched it up a bit for the rest of the masses... why not, it's just aggregating data that you all have access to anyways, right?

Try it out:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/bugstatus.php

04-02-2010 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
icon Re: Status of Feature Requests (+1)  
That is very very cool. Thank you.

There is a not-quite-a bug. It seems that to use the list generator more than once on the same computer requires the user to clear Caravel cookies (unless you're just using the "Back" button.)Is there a way to make clearing cookies unnecessary? Or, if not, then that instruction should be included in the post and on the generated list.

Other than that, I have three suggestions for revision for the mass market version:

1. I don't think the filter for names is necessary. Besides, it might encourage people to start bugging specific team members. Can it be left off? The (invisible) default would then just be "all", but actual names would not appear on the generated list.

2. All the boards don't need to be available. Unless anyone objects, I'd suggest just:
- Caravel Boards/The Site
- Caravel Boards/Development
- DROD Boards/Feature Requests
- DROD Boards/Bugs
- DROD RPG Boards/RPG Feature Requests
- DROD RPG Boards/RPG Bugs

3. Once this is sorted out, a locked post could be stickied at the top of each of those boards (or maybe just on the Site board) that would contain a brief description and the link.

Again, thanks for creating this. Any other suggestions or feedback?
04-03-2010 at 01:10 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Status of Feature Requests (+2)  
noma wrote:
There is a not-quite-a bug. It seems that to use the list generator more than once on the same computer requires the user to clear Caravel cookies
What are the symptoms you're seeing that lead you to believe this? I'm guessing you didn't notice that the "Filters" area is collapsed if there are any results to show from your previous filter. (i.e. click on "Filters" and you can change them)
1. I don't think the filter for names is necessary.
Well, this is the exact same thing that's still available to the developers. I *could* hide that area for non-developers... we'll see.
2. All the boards don't need to be available.
It shows all boards that have bug tracking turned on. Again, don't want to hide any boards from developers....
3. Once this is sorted out, a locked post could be stickied at the top of each of those boards (or maybe just on the Site board) that would contain a brief description and the link.
Ideally I'd add the ability to pass in parameters so each board could have a link that was already customized for that board. This was just a *really* quick and easy change to make it public.

[Last edited by Schik at 04-03-2010 01:17 AM : Clarification]
04-03-2010 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
Schik wrote:
noma wrote:
...It seems that to use the list generator more than once on the same computer requires the user to clear Caravel cookies
What are the symptoms you're seeing that lead you to believe this? I'm guessing you didn't notice that the "Filters" area is collapsed if there are any results to show from your previous filter.
Ah, that was it. Thanks. Though it's not intuitive, it can easily be explained.
04-03-2010 at 01:23 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
1. I don't think the filter for names is necessary.
Well, this is the exact same thing that's still available to the developers. I *could* hide that area for non-developers... we'll see.
Most of the time I've spent on that spreadsheet went into "sanitizing" that data. :(

By the way, I do find it strange that it remembers my settings even when I've logged off and go to that page again.

04-03-2010 at 01:28 AM
schep
Rank Points: 864
I was a bit confused to find the 'Filters' section collapsed and no data showing the first time I visited the new version (since I didn't have any boards selected). Hooray on the new ability to filter by board, though! I was wishing for that and never thought to ask.

While I don't especially mind that everyone can search for topics I've "claimed", I agree it would probably be better to force the user filter for non-devs to "all". It's easier to imagine evil uses than good uses for that.

Finally, I'd like to point out that this will make it easier for people who don't do programming to help out with the Bugs board, if they're so inclined. Do a search for 'Fixed' topics, check the changelog to see what version the fix was or will be included in, and try stuff out. Then post "Fix verified" (or not, or you found some possibly related issue, describe it). I do test my own fixes, of course, but there's an advantage in having somebody else test it, and in retesting it after it makes it into a beta patch or "stable" version.

04-03-2010 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Status of Feature Requests
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com