Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Who killed Mr. Forum? (Get a CLUE)
<<2345
Page 6 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Re: Who killed Mr. Forum? (+5)  
No one has officially said so, but I believe it's my turn. So instead of waiting for the starting gun -- which might get me in the back -- I'll just jump right in with:
Maurog with a mod point complaint in Contests, the cad.

04-22-2010 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Who killed Mr. Forum? (0)  
Noma has achieved victory.

Yes, Maurog killed Mr. Forum in the contests board with a mod complaint. A very messy affair.

Thanks all for playing!

04-22-2010 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
zex20913 wrote:
Noma has achieved victory.

Yes, Maurog killed Mr. Forum in the contests board with a mod complaint. A very messy affair.

Hooray for noma!

And boo for Maurog! Why would you do such a thing?

Josh

04-22-2010 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Well colour me surprised. I was 100% sure of the how, but only about 80% sure of the who, and the where was really just a lucky guess; I had eliminated five of the boards, but that still left 4 possible options. I only picked Contests because that was my most recent post. Hmm, or maybe a little Sherlock rubbed off on me.

Book'em Zex-O.
04-22-2010 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
noma wrote:
Well colour me surprised. I was 100% sure of the how, but only about 80% sure of the who, and the where was really just a lucky guess; I had eliminated five of the boards, but that still left 4 possible options. I only picked Contests because that was my most recent post. Hmm, or maybe a little Sherlock rubbed off on me.

Book'em Zex-O.

I had it narrowed down to one of three remaining locations (four at the time of my guess), and knew the who and the how 100%.

The fact that Maurog guessed Maurog with a Mod Point Complaint on Forum Games and had the guess go all the way around to him was a big clue, and when this was shortly followed up by DanielFishman with Maurog with a Mod Point Complaint on General that went past Maurog, at that point I was down to eliminating boards.

Good job, noma. Watch out for those little Sherlocks, though!

Josh

04-22-2010 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Anyone up for another round?
05-03-2010 at 06:47 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Now that we've got the kinks worked out, the game should go smoother. I'll play again.
05-03-2010 at 12:10 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'm willing to play again, but not with Zex (or anybody who doesn't put the fun first) as GM (and assuming that nobody objects to my participation). Perhaps noma should GM since he won the last round (congratulations, btw).

Also, I would suggest choosing a replacement candidate location for Forum Games (so as to avoid the particular problem we had in the last round) and/or amending the post rule to allow for a legitimate post within the last X hours before the guess (as opposed to requiring the last post before the guess to be in the guessed forum).

(Actually, I would suggest getting rid of that rule altogether since it has little to no interesting effect on the game other than to be a pain in the butt, but other people's opinions may vary on this point).

[Last edited by stigant at 05-03-2010 07:34 PM]
05-03-2010 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
stigant wrote:Perhaps noma should GM since he won the last round
She would be happy to.
05-03-2010 at 07:54 PM
stigant
She would be happy to.
My sincere apologies.

05-03-2010 at 08:25 PM
noma
:) No worries. And though I'm a bit reluctant to open up the worm can again, I do want to say that I think you're being a bit hard on zex. I've run things like this and it can be hard to balance rules/fairness/fun. You're so caught up in doing the fair thing, you can overlook the right thing. Or is it the other way round? *shrug* And we all sometimes phrase things poorly or have our words taken in ways we never meant them to be taken. Just my 2 cents.
05-03-2010 at 09:17 PM
B.J.Earles
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
stigant wrote:Actually, I would suggest getting rid of that rule altogether since it has little to no interesting effect on the game other than to be a pain in the butt, but other people's opinions may vary on this point

You mean get rid of the rule that says you have to post on a board in order to guess it as a location? I would like that as it would allow me to participate in the game. As it is, I would not really be able to guess half the locations simply because I don't play DROD (yet).
05-03-2010 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
I don't know. I kinda like having to post before a guess. It was the whole point of the game. But I like the idea of a revision that it doesn't have to be your latest post, but only within X number of hours. Maybe in the last 24 hours before your guess post? I do agree Forum Games should be replaced. It became a kind of "freebie" guess anyway.
05-04-2010 at 01:06 AM
coppro
noma wrote:
I don't know. I kinda like having to post before a guess. It was the whole point of the game. But I like the idea of a revision that it doesn't have to be your latest post, but only within X number of hours. Maybe in the last 24 hours before your guess post? I do agree Forum Games should be replaced. It became a kind of "freebie" guess anyway.
I agree with these rules changes. Let's get the next game started. We could put Development in instead of Forum Games.
05-10-2010 at 03:33 AM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
I'm still here. For those who weren't in the first round: I played 'Keeper of the Envelope' (KotE), a position which keeps an eye on the GM and fills gaps in his/her absence.

I still support 'since h(is/er) last guess', rather than a specific time limit. I don't really think that's too wide of a window, especially considering how fast it went last time.

We only have three players so far, though, assuming Stigant and B.J.Earles are still around. We need six.

05-10-2010 at 09:00 PM
B.J.Earles
I believe I mentioned this before; I will have a very hard time playing unless the 'you must post in the forum you are guessing' rule is changed. I simply don't have anything relevant to add to the General, Contests, Holds, DROD Architecture, RPG Architecture, DROD feature requests, and RPG feature requests boards. That limits me to guessing in Forum Games (or whatever replaces it) and Anything. I might be able to play that way, but I would be playing with a handicap.
05-17-2010 at 05:15 AM
noma
It will certainly be easier for more to play. And at least it will keep /this/ thread alive. ;-)
The (new) game:
[Copied and revised from zex20913's opening post]
Mr. Forum has been killed in one of nine boards! Who has killed him, and how?

The suspects are:

The six players:
stigant
Daniel Fishman
B.J. Earles
PMIT
coppro
brian_s

A Keeper of the Envelope (Penwielder) also wields the clue envelope.

How was Mr. Forum killed?

Was it with a snarky comment to a newcomer?
A mod point complaint?
A heavy trolling?
A mean private message?
A spam overload?
Or was it a bad hold that made it through the HA process?

Where was Mr. Forum killed?

General?
Contests?
Holds?
DROD architecture?
RPG architecture?
DROD feature requests?
RPG feature requests?
Forum games?
Anything?

The game is afoot!

The first seven people to respond that they want to play will have a role. Six will be players, and one will be the info-holder.

Each player will receive 3 pieces of information--they may be a player, a method of killing, or a board. If a player has information, then that information has nothing to do with the death of Mr. Forum.

Rules:

There will be an order to play, and it shall be cyclic. Instead of rolling a die, play will consist of guessing and refuting.

Guessing: On your turn, you guess a player, a method of killing, and a board where it occurred. You do not need to have made a prior post in any thread in order to make your guess valid.

Refuting: After a guess, the moderator or Keeper of the Envelope will post in this thread the name of the first player after the guesser who possesses information that can refute a guess. That player must PM the guesser that piece of information within 24 hours of their name being posted. If a player has the option of refuting with more than one piece, the refuting player may choose which piece of information with which to refute. Once they refute, they must post that they have done so in this thread. Alternatively, the guesser may also post that they have received the information.

A 24-hour clock will start once the refuter's name has been posted. If the clock expires, then either the moderator or the Keeper of the Envelope will step in to act as the refuter. If the option is available, we will show NEW information to the guessing player.

If refuting goes all the way to the guesser, they take the refuting role as well.

Once information has been refuted, then it is the next player's turn. The next player must guess within 24 hours of the notification that a guess has been refuted, or lose their turn. Play continues until one person has made a guess that can not be refuted--this will be the way that Mr. Forum was killed.

:End rules

If you have any questions, please do ask them.

Winner gets 5 mod points![End revised quote]

[Last edited by noma at 05-21-2010 03:02 AM]
05-17-2010 at 03:00 PM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
If we're not doing the having to post in the board thing, I'm in again.
05-17-2010 at 03:06 PM
stigant
I'm in.

05-17-2010 at 06:11 PM
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
If there are no objections, I'll keep my old job. Unless someone else really wants to try it, that is.

05-17-2010 at 08:57 PM
noma
So we have B.J. Earles, stigant, Daniel Fishman and perhaps coppro. Penwiedler has volunteered to be the KoE. Two more players and coppro's confirmation and the sleuthing can begin.

[Last edited by noma at 05-17-2010 09:13 PM]
05-17-2010 at 09:13 PM
DanielFishman
noma wrote:
So we have B.J. Earles, stigant, Daniel Fishman and perhaps coppro. Penwiedler has volunteered to be the KoE. Two more players and coppro's confirmation and the sleuthing can begin.
Are you yourself not playing, or do you have some other job?
05-17-2010 at 10:18 PM
noma
I'm the game moderator on this one. :)
05-17-2010 at 11:39 PM
PMIT
I'd like to join this one.

05-18-2010 at 03:17 AM
B.J.Earles
Noma posted:If they can not refute the information, they must post so in this thread. Then, the person who would play after them would take the refuting role.
I thought this was changed during the last game. Either the KotE or the moderator would post who the first person to refute was. It seemed to me that this sped up the game.

Oh, and I'm in, as you already guessed.

[Last edited by B.J.Earles at 05-18-2010 12:01 PM]
05-18-2010 at 12:00 PM
noma
You are correct. Ah, the dangers of cut & paste. Rules updated (bold text) above to reflect the changes we made along the way last time. If anyone sees any others, let me know.

Update: still waiting to hear if coppro's in and we still need one more player.
05-18-2010 at 01:23 PM
coppro
I'm in.
05-20-2010 at 04:09 AM
noma
I'm guessing that once this game is over, it will have taken longer to get started than it will take to play. :D

B.J. Earles, stigant, Daniel Fishman, PMIT and coppro are five of our six players. One more slot is available. And remember, you don't have to post in a thread to make a guess.
05-20-2010 at 04:37 AM
stigant
Suggestion: if we don't get another player in, say, 2 days, why don't we either play the game with 5 players (everybody gets more cards at the start) or just have 1 moderator.

05-20-2010 at 05:01 PM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I'll try playing this time.
05-21-2010 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<2345
Page 6 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Who killed Mr. Forum? (Get a CLUE)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com