Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (contest concluded) (How do you rate 'Straight Jacket Delver' (ClaytonW) ?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How do you rate 'Straight Jacket Delver' (ClaytonW) ?
1 - Worst PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%
6 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%
7 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%
8 PollPollPoll 4 40.00%
9 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%
10 - Best PollPollPoll 2 20.00%

How do you rate 'Deadly Rooms of Death' (RoboBob3000) ?
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
6 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
7 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
8 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%
9 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
10 - Best PollPollPoll 3 30.00%

How do you rate 'I am the Smitemaster' (Agaricus5) ?
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
6 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%
7 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
8 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
9 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
10 - Best PollPollPoll 3 30.00%

How do you rate 'Monster Ballad' (ZMann) ?
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
6 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
7 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
8 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
9 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%

How do you rate 'Dungeon Danger' (gamer_extreme_101) ?
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
6 PollPollPoll 3 30.00%
7 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
8 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
9 PollPollPoll 1 10.00%

How do you rate 'DROD Jambouree' (game_extreme_101) ?
2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
6 PollPollPoll 3 30.00%
7 PollPollPoll 2 20.00%
8 PollPollPoll 3 30.00%
9 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Total Votes 14 100%
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (contest concluded) (0)  
7/4/04 - Contest is over. Read post near end about final results.

Okay, let's do this thing!

Before beginning your vote, listen to all of the songs. If you have troubles with a song, (for example you can't find a music file or get it to play on your system, or you don't understand how the lyrics are supposed to synch with the music) please post about it here and we will try to resolve the problem before you vote.

All the songs in the poll are found in the Songs of the Eighth topic.

Many authors have posted recordings that include themselves singing. We just did this for fun! So for contest voting, don't judge songs by the vocal or audio engineering talents that authors do or do not demonstrate. To be fair, you should only judge lyrics supplied by the authors and how well they work with the music.

Authors of songs must rate their own songs as "10". It's a simple way to handle self-voting in a fair way.

I was a little worried this contest would be a dud, but thanks to all the people participating, I think it turned out really well. I'm grateful!

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 06-25-2004 at 08:52 PM GMT: Extra "self-voting" rule.]

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 07-04-2004 at 10:15 PM GMT]

06-25-2004 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (read instructions first!) (0)  
Are song authors supposed to vote? How is this working?
06-25-2004 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (read instructions first!) (+1)  
I just voted my own as "10" just like in the I Ching competition. I think that's what Erik said to do in the rules.

06-25-2004 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Zmann wrote:
Are song authors supposed to vote? How is this working?
I forgot to say that song authors are obliged to rate their own creations a "10". Nobody should lose on account of being modest.

-Erik

06-25-2004 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Hmm... I just found out the hard way that you can't score one thing at a time. When I gave myself my 10, I didn't fill out the others thinking I could come back to them later. Turns out that isn't the case. So that's why I have one more vote than everybody else.

06-25-2004 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (read instructions first!) (+2)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Hmm... I just found out the hard way that you can't score one thing at a time. When I gave myself my 10, I didn't fill out the others thinking I could come back to them later. Turns out that isn't the case. So that's why I have one more vote than everybody else.
I've removed your vote. You should be able to re-vote.

06-26-2004 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Um, Erik? What will happen in the event of a tie for any of the places?

EDIT: P.S - You spelt my user name wrong on the second entry.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 06-26-2004 at 07:04 PM GMT]

06-26-2004 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
These songs (well, lyrics) are great :thumbsup

I wanted to enter this competition, but the deadline kinda slipped my mind... :P

Click here to view the secret text

06-26-2004 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
Before beginning your vote, listen to all of the songs. If you have troubles with a song, (for example you can't find a music file or get it to play on your system, or you don't understand how the lyrics are supposed to synch with the music) please post about it here and we will try to resolve the problem before you vote.

Certainly. If you cannot read the music for my song, or cannot work out how the lyrics fit to the song, since not all the notes are obvious, ask me, and I'll find some way to arrange the music to make it understandable.

06-26-2004 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Actually, I do have a query myself about "Deadly Rooms Of Death" by RoboBob3000.

In the Choruses, such as this one:

(1:59)
Deadly Rooms of Death
Deadly Rooms of Death
Guaranteed you’ll get
Lots more blood for less
Grab your washcloths, yes
It’s a gruesome mess
Deadly Rooms of Death
Deadly Rooms of Death

Are the "Deadly Rooms Of Death" lyric lines synchronised to the part playing fast notes in the background? I guess this because if not, there isn't enough time to fit in all the lyrics to the tune that is apparent.

06-26-2004 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
I don't get entirely what you're asking, but that's ok because I probably wouldn't have been able to provide a clear answer anyway. I actually just posted myself singing it in the other thread, so hopefully that clears things up.

06-26-2004 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Um, Erik? What will happen in the event of a tie for any of the places?
We have as many runoff votes as needed.

-Erik

06-27-2004 at 01:28 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Darn, lost by a fraction again! Well done, Robo. :D
07-04-2004 at 09:40 PM
gamer_extreme_101
ClaytonW wrote:
Darn, lost by a fraction again! Well done, Robo. :D

Have winners been announced? How is it being figured out?

07-04-2004 at 09:57 PM
ClaytonW
I assume the votes will be averaged as they were in the I-Ching Contest. I averaged at 7.9 votes, and Robobob averages at 8.2 (if I recall, I added it earlier).
07-04-2004 at 10:54 PM
ErikH2000
Okay, final results are in...

Entry 'Deadly Rooms of Death (RoboBob3000)' - Average 8.2
Entry 'Straight Jacket Delver (Claythro)' - Average 7.9
Entry 'Dungeon Danger (gamer_extreme_101)' - Average 7.7
Entry 'I am the Smitemaster (agaricus5)' - Average 7.6
Entry 'DROD Jambouree (gamer_extreme_101)' - Average 7.6
Entry 'Monster Ballad (ZMann)' - Average 6.6

These are calculated by a bit of code our buddy Schik wrote up. The formula is for each entry to sum up the votes multiplied by their rating number and divide by total number of votes. For example, RoboBob3000's score is arrived at like so:

( (10 * 3) + (9 * 2) + (8 * 1) + (7 * 2) + (6 * 2) ) / 10 =
( 30 + 18 + 8 + 14 + 12 ) / 10 =
82 / 10 =

Phew! I get a bit nervous when I consider that my manual calc might not add up to Schik's, plunging the contest into utter chaos.

So let's go through this backwards...

I think ZMann knows that his song was well-appreciated, but probably got the lowest rating because I specifically asked voters to focus on lyrics. The cool thing about his song is how he assembled samples to achieve an overall silly effect, but the lyrics by themselves are quite simple.

I wasn't sure if Agaricus was going to enter, and was glad to see he rose to the task. I can't wait to get Lars reaction when he learns that people have written lyrics for his songs. He should be happily amused. Or maybe horrified. Musicians are kinda funny when it comes to their work. Hmm. I probably shoulda asked Lars about it upfront, but... well, it should be fine.

Gamer_extreme_101 is our third-place winner, just edging out Agaricus and... um... himself by a tiny, tiny margin. It is interesting how close these contests are. If one voter was in a slightly different mood and changed his vote by one notch, it would all go differently.

Clayton grabbed second place, and he's disguised his bitterness very well. You'll play the good sport for now, Clayton, but we all know you'll be back in some future test of superiority. And then we'll all be sorry. Oh yes.

RoboBob3000, our golden child of good fortune, accepts honors with a gentle nature. To him, all things come easily, so it is no surprise that he should meet yet another challenge with effortless grace. Do not be envious of his talent, which is a gift bestowed upon all of us.

So RoboBob3000 gets 100 rank points and should e-mail me (erikh at caravelgames dot net) about what item he would like from the DROD Store. ClaytonW gets 50 points. gamer_extreme_101 gets 25.

Separate from the above awards, the following people conquered stage fright and provided recordings of themselves singing. Listed in order of courage, these folks are: ClaytonW, Zmann, gamer_extreme_101, RoboBob3000. +13 to them for putting on the white sequined jacket.

Well done, everybody! I've seen no affair as glamorous as this since wednesday night karaoke at the Rickshaw.

-Erik

07-04-2004 at 11:14 PM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (contest concluded) (+1)  
*bows*

Thank you! Thank you! I'd like to thank... uh... the academy... and... um...

*bolts off stage*

Wow, I totally didn't expect to win this one. Thanks a ton, kind voters. Now, since I won the Speaking Grounds contest a couple weeks ago, I already own a beautiful mug, and I'm certainly not the type of person to obsessively plaster my entire living area with nothing but DROD merchandise. This marks the second time I've stolen the opportunity for free stuff from Clayton, once after being tied with him unpteen times in the Speaking Grounds vote, and now, where a single vote could have made a difference. I think he was even leading me right before the last votes came in.

To make a long story short, I'd like to pass down my freebie to Clayton, if I could be allowed to do such a thing. He definately deserves something. I'm keeping the rank points though. Sweet, sweet rank points...

Congratulations to everybody else, too! I had a great time listening to these songs!

07-04-2004 at 11:31 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (contest concluded) (0)  
Wow. My first contest I entered in, and I can't believe I got 3rd, and it was with the song I didn't spend a lot of time on!

Honestly, I thought my last on would do better, but I guess not. Congratulations to Robobob3000 and ClaytonW. Both of you're songs rocked and worthy of the top. And Agaricus5 & Zmann, you both did an awesome job on your tunes.

Thanks again all who voted for me! This really means a lot!!! :)

Edit: After re-reading the announcement, I realized that I must have the longest screen name in the forum. I'm sure it was annoying to print a copule of times, eh Erik?

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-05-2004 at 12:22 AM GMT]

07-05-2004 at 12:06 AM
Zmann
Yay, I'm a winner. I get 13 rank points! Rake them in baby! $_$

erm... yeah.

Nice job with the songs everyone. I enjoyed them all, and I had fun making mine too. Congrats to all that entered.
07-05-2004 at 01:10 AM
ClaytonW
RoboBob3000 wrote:
This marks the second time I've stolen the opportunity for free stuff from Clayton, once after being tied with him unpteen times in the Speaking Grounds vote...

I didn't participate in that contest. You've got me confused with someone else.

To make a long story short, I'd like to pass down my freebie to Clayton, if I could be allowed to do such a thing. He definately deserves something.

No no, Keep it, you won it fairly. (Well, I really don't know if you won it fairly, but I think its safe to assume you're a decent individual. :)) Besides, I tried to pass along my reward when I won the Master Map of the Eighth contest, but I was talked out of doing so. (Gee, we're all so very modest here.) So you keep your reward. I'll just sit and watch my rank points increase. Nice job, again.

...I'm certainly not the type of person to obsessively plaster my entire living area with nothing but DROD merchandise...

...I'm almost offended by that. :lol T-shirt, Cap, Complete DROD Costume, Certificate for DROD:AE, Most Devoted Fan Medal, all here in my little bedroom.
07-05-2004 at 05:33 PM
ErikH2000
RoboBob, maybe just hold onto your free item "store credit". I'm willing to let you use it for a free copy of JtRH when it is released.

-Erik

07-05-2004 at 08:29 PM
Zmann
About JtRH, do you have an estimated price yet, or did you already say that and I just missed it?
07-05-2004 at 11:49 PM
ErikH2000
I've gone out of my way not to say one fracking thing about that, but I can tell you now that it will definitely cost less than a breadbox. Unless you bought one of those cheapo particle board jobs from a Tiajuana flea market. And I mean like a Sturdicraft knock-off.

(Jest be patient, fella. Sticker price undecided. :) )

-Erik

07-06-2004 at 12:22 AM
RoboBob3000
ClaytonW wrote:
I didn't participate in that contest. You've got me confused with someone else.
Oops. I knew I'd go and screw up like that. That's what I get for not checking up on the facts. It was Eytan. Eytan, Clayton... you can see how I'd get mixed up.

ErikH2000 wrote:
RoboBob, maybe just hold onto your free item "store credit". I'm willing to let you use it for a free copy of JtRH when it is released.

Oh sweet! I take back any aformentioned modesty and jump all over that JtRH promise! Thanks so much!

Does this unofficially make me the first official pre-order?

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 07-05-2004 at 11:53 PM GMT]

07-06-2004 at 12:52 AM
ErikH2000
I did forget about the 5 rank points for participation. All awarded now. Gamer Extreme, you x2 for two songs.

-Erik

07-07-2004 at 01:06 AM
gamer_extreme_101
ErikH2000 wrote:
I did forget about the 5 rank points for participation. All awarded now. Gamer Extreme, you x2 for two songs.

-Erik

Thanks Erik!!

07-07-2004 at 02:09 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote for Songs of the Eighth. (contest concluded) (How do you rate 'Straight Jacket Delver' (ClaytonW) ?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com