Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Introduce Yourself" sticky post (Read topic for more info....)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon "Introduce Yourself" sticky post (+1)  
I noticed a lot of people have been making themselves topics on introducing yourself, so why don't we just have a board for that? Many places have it, and I think it would be a bit more welcoming for anyone who joins the forum.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 06-25-2004 at 01:18 AM GMT]

06-24-2004 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: "Introduce Yourself" board (0)  
I don't think we really need a board... we already have a thread like that in the anything board.
06-24-2004 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Are you sure? I searched there for 5 minutes and found nothing...but if there is, could we have it sticked to the top so people could find it easier?

06-24-2004 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: "Introduce Yourself" board (+1)  
It's actually in the General forum: the Questionnaire thread.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-24-2004 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Which, one has to admit, is not the most obvious name for an introduction thread, and it is buried quite deep. I think that a stickied thread would probably be a good idea - better than a forum, which is a bit excessive.

06-24-2004 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
And besides, the last time someone used it was the end of March, meaning either people are confused by the name or don't look at topics past the first name. And I do realize, in afterthought, that a whole forum would be a big waste of time.

So, if anyone with power sees this, can you sticky the thread and possibly change the name to something a bit more obvious?

EDIT: I just looked in the General forum and saw the SERIOUS sticky, so I'm thinking it would be better to post it on the Anything board if you people would be so kind :)

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 06-24-2004 at 09:50 PM GMT]

06-24-2004 at 10:45 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: "Introduce Yourself" board (+1)  
Actually, a thread that entices "lurkers" that are here on the forums, but are too shy to post, to introduce themselves, would be a great idea. I saw this on the Dexterity and KoL forums, and it worked quite well there.

Perhaps the thread could be started by Erik or one of the Moderators, so it would be like a(n) (in)formal greeting from the forum staff. No offence to anyone, but in my opinion, as a person who once did this myself, I think threads started by regular posters may not appear as "prestigious" as a moderator's post, and so may not be as desirable to post in.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-24-2004 at 09:59 PM GMT]

06-24-2004 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
EDIT: I just looked in the General forum and saw the SERIOUS sticky, so I'm thinking it would be better to post it on the Anything board if you people would be so kind :)

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 06-24-2004 at 09:50 PM GMT]

I think the general forum is actually the right place for it - it's on-topic to introduce yourself, I think, and the "anything" forum is for off-topic posts. I don't think the moderation thread is incompatible with a newcomer thread in any way, personally.

06-24-2004 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
agaricus5 wrote:
Perhaps the thread could be started by Erik or one of the Moderators, so it would be like a(n) (in)formal greeting from the forum staff. No offence to anyone, but in my opinion, as a person who once did this myself, I think threads started by regular posters may not appear as "prestigious" as a moderator's post, and so may not be as desirable to post in.

No, I fully see where you are coming from. It'll help that "Newbie syndrome" where people are afraid to post because they don't feel welcome. Thanks a lot agaricus!!!

06-24-2004 at 11:03 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: "Introduce Yourself" sticky post (+1)  
Okay, there is an "Introduce Yourself" post on the "Anything" board now. http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3055 By the way, anybody can go there and post about what kind of Arnold they are--not just new users. I think we really need to know. :fun

Thanks to Schik, right after you register for the first time, you will automatically be taken to this post. So it serves as a mini-orientation and hopefully prods the new user to be more involved on the forum.

-Erik

06-25-2004 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Introduce Yourself" sticky post (Read topic for more info....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com