Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Unreal Development Kit released - for free! (for non-commercial use, that is)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Unreal Development Kit released - for free! (+2)  
In case anyone wants to do another DROD 3D (or has some other great idea for a game):

Epic has announced the release of the Unreal Development Kit today! The UDK is a free for non-commercial use Unreal Engine 3 runtime that allows you to create your own games using UE3 without the enormous expense of an Unreal Engine 3 license!

With UDK, you will also be able to create commercial games to sell on digital distribution platforms like Steam. The licensing details for this have yet to be released, however it seems likely you will be able to start selling your game without spending a dime out of your own pocket.
[continued...]
Holy **** - that's not the last generation 3D engine like id software uses to do it, that's the current gen engine right then and there. :)

(Okay, so maybe it's not the source for the engine but just the engine + SDK, but still...)

[Last edited by Briareos at 11-05-2009 08:04 PM]
11-05-2009 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Unreal Development Kit released - for free! (0)  
What language do you use? C++ or UnrealScript?

11-08-2009 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
vittro wrote:
What language do you use? C++ or UnrealScript?
As far as I've seen - UnrealScript only; they obviously still won't give you the engine's sourcecode to tinker with without you paying the usual near-million-dollar fee... ;)

It's basically UT3 with all additions that were added to UE (like the awesome Lightmass lighting stuff that first appeared ca. Mirror's Edge) since it's release minus all the UT3 game content.

(Not that that's a bad thing - all UTs got modded to each imagineable extreme, but this time round you don't even need to buy the base game for those mods and can even sell the result, so what's not to like? :))

np: Public Image Ltd - Home Is Where The Heart Is (Flowers Of Romance)

11-08-2009 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
WAHOOO!
More from Unreal!
:D
EDIT: Great, just realised it is a 500+ MB download and I have exceeded my 12 GB download limit :(

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 11-08-2009 09:13 PM]
11-08-2009 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DairmossX
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
i tried downloading this a while back, but it ended up corrupting on me. still have no clue how to properly use it, but being able to make holds with it would be increadibly fun and entertaining.
12-06-2009 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Unreal Development Kit released - for free! (for non-commercial use, that is)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com