Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Very Bad Permanently Crashing Critical Bug
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
IP: Logged
icon Very Bad Permanently Crashing Critical Bug (0)  
When I quitted DROD, I used the "click the cross" method. But instead of the option window appearing, reading "Do you want to do something else other than playing DROD?" Nothing happened. I clicked again, and the option pane appeared, but with NO TEXT. Even the buttons were blank. I clicked on the ok button (I wasn't sure at the time :))

I restarted DROD, hoping it would correct itself (bad call). You get about 20 error chimes. It still had no text, but it was asking me to type a name as if I haven't played the game. If I type something, click enter, it crashes. It crashes whatever I do.

With a fresh copy of DROD installed, I've swapped in and out the dat files to see where the problem could lie (I've got copies of the corrupted ones). It's strange.

text.dat is corrupt showing no text.

player.dat is corrupt, shows no players even though it has a size.

drod1_6.dat is ugly; it's 12.5MB big but I think this was the original size before it went critically wrong. I'm not 100% sure since I've been reading a few other topics, and I don't think it could be that big. With a fresh player and text .dat files, I can't restore from any hold, holds don't appear anyways. Basically nothing. Even King Durgan's Dungeon. I can only crash out of DROD by going into the editor and create a new hold. :) I found that pretty amusing. If I import a hold it says "Hold sucessful imported" but it doesn't appear. Clicking 'Continue' I get "DROD unable to load game. ...".

I didn't think something as innocuous as exiting could cause something as damnable as this to happen. I was making a hold as well (was about to release it as well), even though I exported it at an early stage, it was on "only me" edit so I can't do jack with it. :~( I'm worried that I'm not that annoyed about that. I'm more annoyed that I was nearly completing other peoples holds!

So, how can I give anyone the drod1_6.dat? 12.5MB is pretty intensive stuff.

I'll post the player.dat and text.dat in the next post, and probably mention other bugs previous to this one (but probably not because this one is sick). I was making a list and trying to see if I could recreate them. I wasn't doing that before this happened! :P I actually opened DROD then decided not to play because I had to do something else. I guess this sort of thing happens when you refuse to play DROD. Pretty harsh. :)

If only I knew the use of the .da_ files...

*Smacks self*

Click here to view the secret text

06-19-2004 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage

File: Data.zip (109.6 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Very Bad Permanently Crashing Critical Bug (0)  
Ah, nearly forgot!

*attachments*

I've put the drod.err file in the zip.

06-19-2004 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I'll let Mike handle the questions, but if you send me your hold, I'll send it back as anyone edit.

mcs1016 at hotmail dot com

06-19-2004 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Wow, thanks Schik.

I was thinking about probably making a totally diffent hold. Doing it again seems depressing in a sort of way. I was gonna take it as a learning experience as it is my first hold.

Thanks again. Might actually try to finish it off.

06-19-2004 at 02:20 AM
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
Yellow_Mage wrote:
I restarted DROD, hoping it would correct itself (bad call). You get about 20 error chimes. It still had no text, but it was asking me to type a name as if I haven't played the game. If I type something, click enter, it crashes. It crashes whatever I do. With a fresh copy of DROD installed, I've swapped in and out the dat files to see where the problem could lie (I've got copies of the corrupted ones). It's strange.

text.dat is corrupt showing no text.

You have some serious data corruption. I think it's not that there is no text in the file, but rather that the text in the file itself has been seriously rearranged and duplicated, making the text that DROD is looking at read something else to what it is supposed to be.

player.dat is corrupt, shows no players even though it has a size.

Similar, the data for your player file has been duplicated and sent all over the place. Probably it's mainly caused by your player demo (My dat files had this problem when mine crashed).

If only I knew the use of the .da_ files...

Rename their endings to .dats. If you did not start DROD correctly afterwards, then you may have a chance of being able to use these backups of your data files. It's probably unlikely, though.

06-19-2004 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
I've tried that renaming the .da_; didn't work. That's why I shouldn't of restarted DROD hoping it would work normally again... I should of known they were backups.

You have some serious data corruption.

That's what I assumed because every .dat file was affected. It'd just how it happened I'm scratching my head about.

06-19-2004 at 12:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Very Bad Permanently Crashing Critical Bug
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com