Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The Leylines Wiki
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon The Leylines Wiki (0)  
I've been wanting to write up a comprehensive strategy guide for Leylines for some time now, and with the newly released version, I couldn't think of a better time.

So, I've launched a wiki for it over at wikia; you can view the Leylines Wiki here. Of course, it's missing a lot of stuff, since I just started it, but I plan to add more content over time. You guys can edit stuff too; it IS a wiki after all. ;)

(Note to self: this thread has spell info)

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-01-2009 11:12 PM]
10-01-2009 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: The Leylines Wiki (0)  
Excellent idea, Danjen.

10-01-2009 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Danjen02 wrote:
You guys can edit stuff too; it IS a wiki after all.
I've already added to the terrain page. Also, I've got a fairly huge amount of info for the spells page, if you want it.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 10-02-2009 05:36 PM]
10-02-2009 at 05:07 PM
Danjen02
Hey Radiant, did you move/change/replace the Revelation spell? I never see it come up any more. Granted, it is pretty rediculous..

Also, does anyone know how to do named anchor tags in a wiki? You know, the HTML command <a name="here"></a> ... It lets a link jump to a certain point on the page, rather than the top. I know how to do it normally, but Wikis seem to be their own entity.

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-03-2009 06:11 AM]
10-03-2009 at 06:02 AM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
Hey Radiant, did you move/change/replace the Revelation spell?
No, it's still there under mind magic.

Also, does anyone know how to do named anchor tags in a wiki?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

10-03-2009 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
Wow, things seem to have happened while i've been away!(My internet died.)
Give me a while to catch up on things and I'll do my bit! :D

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-03-2009 at 09:56 AM
Danjen02
Radiant wrote:
No, it's still there under mind magic.
D'oh. I've been playing with moderate starting power instead of low starting power, so I always forget to check my spell list. It is indeed there. :lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet
Hm, looks like the way to do it is through headings. Okay, cool.

Wonkyth wrote:
Wow, things seem to have happened while i've been away!(My internet died.)
Give me a while to catch up on things and I'll do my bit! :D
Welcome back, Wonkyth!

10-03-2009 at 09:59 PM
Radiant
Could you please change the logo on the wiki with this one? http://crystalshard.net/img/leylinestitle.gif

Also, if you're into tables, then this page may be of use to you: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Sorting

10-04-2009 at 01:52 PM
Danjen02
Logo updated, and tables now sortable.

10-04-2009 at 08:01 PM
B.J.Earles
Well, I just made a major contribution to the Wiki. I hope I got all my facts straight. I did a general spell check and added to the movement cost, terrain list, and the mind spells.
10-06-2009 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Thanks for the updates, guys!

Just try to follow the style as closely as possible (ie, bulleted lists where other things have lists), and remember that the description column is for where the in game description goes, and the notes column is where comments and strategies go. :)

10-06-2009 at 05:02 PM
Danjen02
Just so you guys know, I'm in the process of updating the spell lists to have anchor tags. To make an anchor tag just edit the wikicode and insert the {{anchor|foo}} command. It will produce an anchor to that spot named foo. To link to that anchor, use the [[foo|text]] command. For the love of god, please don't do this.

Or just wait for a bit, and I should update it fully, it doesn't matter either way. :P

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-07-2009 07:33 AM]
10-07-2009 at 07:05 AM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
I haven't yet downloaded the new version of Leylines, so I suppose I could help out by just linking pages and the like...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-07-2009 at 07:16 AM
Danjen02
Yeah, I just realized I had a big problem with my anchoring template that butchers the code when you try to edit it again; I was able to undo the damage I did, but please don't do what I just described in the above post. :(

If you could figure out how to get anchor tags in a lot of places with as little typing as possible, that would be great!

10-07-2009 at 07:32 AM
Radiant
Wow, did you actually type over all the keyword abilities? Because that's a lot of work, and you could have just asked me for a data dump :)

Incidentally, I think it may be more helpful on a wiki if you describe what to use the ability for, or why it is useful, instead of quoting the in-game text.

10-07-2009 at 01:41 PM
Danjen02
Well, I figured the desciption columns would be used for ingame text (if someone wanted to reference something while not playing the game, for instance), while the notes column would be used for what you've described. I plan on formatting the keywords into a table, although if I do it with headers, I could use the table of contents for it.

And yes, I did type them all out, but this was quite a few months back when I said I would work on a guide for thet game; I'm just glad I didn't delete the file after all this time. :lol

Actually, if you have a list of abilities that only appear at certain times, and never on a unit naturally, that would help out a lot. (hungry, hidden, revenent, etc)

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-07-2009 08:07 PM]
10-07-2009 at 07:41 PM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
Well, I figured the desciption columns would be used for ingame text (if someone wanted to reference something while not playing the game, for instance), while the notes column would be used for what you've described. I plan on formatting the keywords into a table, although if I do it with headers, I could use the table of contents for it.
Set it up however you want; just let me know, and I'll follow along.

And yes, I did type them all out, but this was quite a few months back when I said I would work on a guide for thet game; I'm just glad I didn't delete the file after all this time. :lol
Easy for you to say; at the time I originally asked about spell info, I'd been keeping a handwritten list (writer's cramp!).

10-08-2009 at 05:03 AM
B.J.Earles
I just updated the majority of the Energy spells list. I plan on getting around to the Chaos, Body, and Mind lists as well. Of course, any help is welcome :) .
10-08-2009 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Celtic Minstrel
Rank Points: 12
You could probably do anchors using the HTML <a> tag, though it's possible Wikia disables it. Generally you use headings for anchors, but they must be on a line of their own.

If you link to the page in question and explain what you want, I'll see if I can figure something out.
10-10-2009 at 11:44 PM
Danjen02
It seems to work correctly now, using the {{anchor|foo}} template. Strange. :S

10-14-2009 at 06:55 AM
Radiant
Hm, turns out it's not possible to edit wikia in my browser.

Some notes on terrain,
* Dependent units may also travel with or near a supplier unit.
* Cities cannot be built on glaciers, but can be built on snowy hills.
* Yes, icebergs move.
* Snowy hills can be created by casting winter's chill on a regular hill.
* Floral clock behavior is not dependent on how close a city is to the edge of the map.

Some notes on spells,
* Being under the effect of goblin's curse reduces your score.
* The research and casting cost of Abjuration actually depends on map size, not on what disciplines you use.
* Black plague also causes unrest if the plagued unit is in a city.
* The new description of Eagle's Flight accounts for kraken and sharks.
* Flying doesn't cancel land-based movement skills nor does it cancel roads; it's just that they don't stack and the unit will pick whatever movement mode is faster (which in most but not all cases is going to be flight)
* The main point of Simulacrum is that it lets you use enemy units. For instance, if you play S'Sirthe and want to build roads.
* Earthquake kills a random amount of population averaging to 2000.
* Vampirism retains all enchantments already on the target unit.
* Wizard Eye is a summoned unit; there is no limit to how many you can use.
* Worker's Zeal: it's not the case that only one enchantment can be cast on a city; WZ doesn't stack with itself, but does stack with e.g. Gaea's Bounty.
*Ancestral Learning: rule of thumb is that anything with an upkeep in mana doesn't gain experience, nor do settlers.
*Discordance: blocked by mind shield
*Aurasight: the unit will detect everything except Goblin Sneaks :)
*Call the Void: I'm not sure what your note means, you can cancel your own enchantments at any time. If not, that would be a bug.
*Misery: the obvious combo is with goblins, who don't have cities in the first place.
*Toxic Touch: this spell no longer exists.

10-14-2009 at 02:19 PM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
* Yes, icebergs move.
I thought so.

Also, I noticed you can cast Seismic Reorganizer on icebergs in the beta, resulting in some interesting effects. Is this still true?
* Floral clock behavior is not dependent on how close a city is to the edge of the map.
Odd. In the beta, the Floral Clock changed deserts into either jungle or tundra, depending on the city's location. I haven't played as Theria in the latest version.
*Call the Void: I'm not sure what your note means, you can cancel your own enchantments at any time. If not, that would be a bug.
That's news to me, and I was the one who wrote that. No matter what version of Leylines I'm playing, I have yet to be able to dispel my own casting of Call the Void. (Due to bad experiences with Call the Void in the beta, I've been loath to use it in the newest version.)
*Misery: the obvious combo is with goblins, who don't have cities in the first place.
Then I'll have to try that; I have yet to play as goblins. In the meantime, Jolina Lightbringer and buildings that increase happiness, due to their nature, do in fact lessen Misery's effect on your cities over time.
*Toxic Touch: this spell no longer exists.
There goes one of my favorite Chaos spells. I guess I'll have to change my strategy, because I really used & abused this one; it's a great way to counter plague & poison (especially plague). Maybe there should be a note that it no longer exists, just in case someone with an older version of Leylines runs across the wiki.

10-14-2009 at 03:06 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Also, I noticed you can cast Seismic Reorganizer on icebergs in the beta, resulting in some interesting effects.
I think I'll have to remove that.

Odd. In the beta, the Floral Clock changed deserts into either jungle or tundra, depending on the city's location.
No, actually it depends on how much mana, gold, or work is produced in the city. Terrain is created that is most favorable to what you're producing.

I have yet to be able to dispel my own casting of Call the Void.
I'll double-check, but you should be able to dispel that (and all the other global enchantments you cast) in the Mirror screen. edit: Yes, you can do that.

There goes one of my favorite Chaos spells.
It does? Oh, sorry. Some people suggested a spell that grants Eagle Eye, and this was the obvious candidate for replacement.

[Last edited by Radiant at 10-14-2009 03:44 PM]
10-14-2009 at 03:27 PM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
Also, I noticed you can cast Seismic Reorganizer on icebergs in the beta, resulting in some interesting effects.
But it does make for an odd-looking map, especially when you transpose an iceberg so it's landlocked (the same is true for the archipelago tile, BTW); or a forest in the middle of an ocean and put a city on it. I'll have to post a screenshot or two of this; it gives the map a rather oddball appearance.
Odd. In the beta, the Floral Clock changed deserts into either jungle or tundra, depending on the city's location.
No, actually it depends on how much mana, gold, or work is produced in the city. Terrain is created that is most favorable to what you're producing.
As I said: Odd. My favorite race is Theria, so I've done enough playing around with the Floral Clock to understand how it works. In my playing style, once I've fully built up a city, I change its production exclusively to either gold or mana. In the case of the latter in the beta, I have seen deserts changed to tundra only within a certain distance to the top & bottom edges of the screen, and deserts changed to jungle only in the middle portions. Either that, or I'm not paying attention properly.
I have yet to be able to dispel my own casting of Call the Void.
I'll double-check, but you should be able to dispel that (and all the other global enchantments you cast) in the Mirror screen. edit: Yes, you can do that.
I'll have to take your word on that. I haven't tried Chaos magic in the latest versions; and in the beta, I couldn't seem to dispel it at all unless someone else cast it and I used Major Cancellation.

I don't use Call the Void that much anymore; I find it more a nuisance after a while, although it is a good way to starve out a stubborn opponent at the edge of the map.
There goes one of my favorite Chaos spells.
It does? Oh, sorry. Some people suggested a spell that grants Eagle Eye, and this was the obvious candidate for replacement.
I agree that an Eagle Eye spell would be rather useful; if it wouldn't upset the game's balance too much, you could always have both.

10-14-2009 at 04:28 PM
Danjen02
Every sphere has a 7/7/6 distribution of spells for each rank; if you wanted both, you'd have to remove another chaos spell (or give everything another spell, too).

Also, most of the wiki has been updated to reflect what you said a few posts up, Radiant.

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 10-14-2009 07:45 PM]
10-14-2009 at 07:36 PM
The Mystic

File: landlocked ocean tiles.zip (911.2 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
Danjen02 wrote:
Every sphere has a 7/7/6 distribution of spells for each rank; if you wanted both, you'd have to remove another chaos spell (or give everything another spell, too).
Hence the reason I wrote "if it wouldn't upset the game's balance too much" in my post above, because I thought having an extra spell might throw things off kilter.
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
In the meantime, here's a zip with two screenshots from the beta; one has a landlocked iceberg, and the other has a landlocked archipelago. I'd post a screenshot showing a city in the middle of an ocean, but the game crashed about two turns before I could get a settler unit there.

Seismic Reorganizer is a great spell to change the terrain around cities to better suit your needs, or when you accidentally click "Found city," and don't want to get rid of it.

Also, I just now thought of something; Seismic Reorganizer would work very well with the Floral Clock. Too bad I didn't think of this earlier, because I just started a new game as Theria, and I selected all three levels of Mind spells.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 10-15-2009 02:07 PM]
10-15-2009 at 02:06 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
Also, most of the wiki has been updated to reflect what you said a few posts up, Radiant.
Thanks!

Also, I've registered as user CrystalShard (user Radiant was not allowed for some reason) and have done a few tweaks.

The Mystic wrote:
In the meantime, here's a zip with two screenshots from the beta; one has a landlocked iceberg, and the other has a landlocked archipelago.
Thanks. In the next version I'll disallow SR to move icebergs or archipelagos; it's intended to not work on water anyway, and these two are an oversight.

I'd post a screenshot showing a city in the middle of an ocean,
Can you tell me how you did that?

10-15-2009 at 11:49 PM
Danjen02
Radiant was likely not available because the Wikia sites are all linked; someone else must have gotten it first.

But it does make for an odd-looking map, especially when you transpose an iceberg so it's landlocked (the same is true for the archipelago tile, BTW); or a forest in the middle of an ocean and put a city on it. I'll have to post a screenshot or two of this; it gives the map a rather oddball appearance.
My interpretation of what he said above with a city in the ocean was simply placing it on a tile in the middle of the ocean. However, there's always the chance of a bug allowing otherwise.

10-16-2009 at 03:51 AM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
In the meantime, here's a zip with two screenshots from the beta; one has a landlocked iceberg, and the other has a landlocked archipelago.
Thanks. In the next version I'll disallow SR to move icebergs or archipelagos; it's intended to not work on water anyway, and these two are an oversight.
No problem; I'm sort of well versed in the art of debugging.

I actually found another possible bug with water-based tiles: Units with the Teleport ability can teleport to icebergs. Since icebergs can move, this could lead to a unit drowning if it doesn't move with the iceberg.
I'd post a screenshot showing a city in the middle of an ocean,
Can you tell me how you did that?
In the screenshot with the landlocked iceberg, there's a forest tile and foothills tile that ended up in the middle of the ocean thanks to the Seismic Reorganizer spell; I planned to use SR to switch these two tiles (which I did on the following turn) and found a city on the forest. The Adventurer near the bottom right corner of the screenshot had been slated to found that city, but the game crashed (and kept on crashing) about four turns later. Had the game not crashed, I would've posted another screenshot showing the city in the middle of the ocean.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 10-18-2009 01:21 AM]
10-18-2009 at 01:08 AM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
I actually found another possible bug with water-based tiles: Units with the Teleport ability can teleport to icebergs. Since icebergs can move, this could lead to a unit drowning if it doesn't move with the iceberg.
The units do actually move with the iceberg.

The Adventurer near the bottom right corner of the screenshot had been slated to found that city, but the game crashed (and kept on crashing) about four turns later. Had the game not crashed, I would've posted another screenshot showing the city in the middle of the ocean.
Do you still have a saved game of that?

The city-in-the-ocean is not an issue as I'll disable SR'ing icebergs; the crash, however, is something I should look into.

10-18-2009 at 10:53 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The Leylines Wiki
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com