Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
IP: Logged
icon Random Useless Facts (+1)  
What is an octothorpe?

Click here to view the secret text

P.S. If you're going to add something, PLEASE make sure it's true.

[Edited by Pinnacle on 06-16-2004 at 04:56 PM GMT: added P.S.]

[Edited by Pinnacle on 06-16-2004 at 05:12 PM GMT: Added something]

06-16-2004 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (0)  
True or False

Lion attacks are the most common animal attack in Africa.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 06-16-2004 at 05:09 PM GMT]

06-16-2004 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Really? I'd assume it'd be mosquitos or something.

06-16-2004 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Animal...not insect, unless you really want to get technical. :?

06-16-2004 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Insects are animals, but let's not get too pedantic.
My random (fairly) useless fact:
A quarter of the 2^25 Lights Out configurations on a 5 * 5 grid are solvable, and those which are solvable each have four solutions.

06-16-2004 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
The capital of Brunei is Bandar Seri Begawan.

Mosquitoes always stay on your skin at least a minute before biting you.

SO2 + H20 = H2SO4

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
06-16-2004 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (+1)  
Where did that extra oxygen atom come from?

06-16-2004 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
That's what I learned in school. I don't know. It's the chemical equation for acid rain.

06-16-2004 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
SO3 + H2O -> H2SO4

06-16-2004 at 08:38 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
If n is a factor of 4294967295 (2 ^ 32 - 1), it is possible to construct a regular n-gon using only a ruler and a compass. No other odd numbers are known for which this is possible.

[Edited by Watcher on 06-16-2004 at 09:58 PM GMT: Wrong term used]

06-16-2004 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
SO2 + H20 = H2SO4
Which was corrected...

masonjason wrote:
SO3 + H2O -> H2SO4

However, there is an intermediate step you forgot.

2SO2 + O2 <-> 2SO3

It's an important reaction in the formation of acid rain and in the Contact Process to form sulphuric acid industrially.

In the Contact Process, sulphur trioxide is dissolved in concentrated sulphuric acid to form oleum.

SO3 + H2SO4 -> H2S2O7

Oleum is then dissolved in water to make more sulphuric acid.

H2S2O7 + H2O -> 2H2SO4

06-16-2004 at 09:19 PM
eytanz
agaricus5 wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
SO2 + H20 = H2SO4
Which was corrected...

masonjason wrote:
SO3 + H2O -> H2SO4

However, there is an intermediate step you forgot.

2SO2 + O2 <-> 2SO3

So, strictly speaking, isn't it really (from a point of view of what it takes to make acid rain):

2SO2 + O2 + 2H20 = 2H2SO4?

Just curious, I'm about as ignorant about chemistry as it gets...

Eytan

06-16-2004 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Watcher wrote:
If n is a divisor of 4294967295 (2 ^ 32 - 1), it is possible to construct a regular n-gon using only a ruler and a compass. No other odd numbers are known for which this is possible.

What about 3? (or 5 or 15 or 17)
06-16-2004 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Mikko wrote:
What about 3? (or 5 or 15 or 17)

My bad. The correct term is "factor". In Danish, the term is "divisor", so I just used that one without thinking about it.

06-16-2004 at 10:58 PM
eytanz
I think the point is that if n is a factor of 15, it is possible to construct a regular n-gon using only a ruler and a compass.

I'm pretty sure 15 is an odd number...

06-16-2004 at 11:31 PM
Watcher
eytanz wrote:
I think the point is that if n is a factor of 15, it is possible to construct a regular n-gon using only a ruler and a compass.

I'm pretty sure 15 is an odd number...

Bloody ambiguous sentences. I meant that the factors of 2 ^ 32 - 1 are precisely those odd numbers for which it is possible to construct a regular n-gon with ruler and compass. The second sentence referred to the property of an n-gon being constructible. I thought the repeat of "possible" made that clear, but I guess not.

06-16-2004 at 11:59 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
If 2^p - 1 is prime, then the factors of n = (2^p - 1) * 2^(p-1) will add to 2n. This is called a Perfect Number.

i.e. p=5
2^5 - 1 = 31
2^(5-1)=16
31*16=496
factors are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 31, 62, 124, 248, 496
---

The math-savvy can go here for an in-depth explanation of why this works.

06-17-2004 at 05:10 AM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
Now you've opened a can of worms, Hawk.

eytanz wrote:

So, strictly speaking, isn't it really (from a point of view of what it takes to make acid rain):

2SO2 + O2 + 2H2O = 2H2SO4?

Eytan
Well, yes. But also

SO2 + H2O = H2SO3.

Both H2SO3 and H2SO4 are strong acids. In the air, SO2 and SO3 exist alongside each other.

(Perhaps) useless facts about acid rain: All rain is acidic due to dissolved carbon dioxide, as
CO2 + H2O = H2CO3,
carbonic acid. Therefore, acid rain is defined to be limited to rain with a pH less than 5.6. Acid rain mobilises heavy metals which would otherwise not dissolve in water. Nitrogen compounds, the infamous NOx family, are also a cause of acid rain.
Fill in the blank:

--leroy

06-17-2004 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
leroy00 wrote:
Now you've opened a can of worms, Hawk.

eytanz wrote:

2SO2 + O2 + 2H2O = 2H2SO4?

Eytan
Well, yes. But also

SO2 + H2O = H2SO3.

Both H2SO3 and H2SO4 are strong acids. In the air, SO2 and SO3 exist alongside each other.

Cool. I didn't know about that. What do you call 2O = H2SO3 then?

(Perhaps) useless facts about acid rain: All rain is acidic due to dissolved carbon dioxide, as
CO2 + H2O = H2CO3,
carbonic acid. Therefore, acid rain is defined to be limited to rain with a pH less than 5.6. Acid rain mobilises heavy metals which would otherwise not dissolve in water.
It also dissolves limestone in a way that allows it to cause water hardness and be deposited somewhere else if heated. Normally, acids added to carbonates form salts, water and carbon dioxide:

2HCl + CaCO3 -> H2O + CO2 + CaCl2.

However, carbonic acid, itself containing a CO3 2- ion, instead reacts with the carbonate to form hydrogencarbonate:

H2CO3 + CaCO3 -> Ca(HCO3)2.

Hydrogencarbonate can then be decomposed by heating to leave carbonate on surfaces, which is what we call "limescale":

Ca(HCO3)2 -> H2O + CO2 + CaCO3

Nitrogen compounds, the infamous NOx family, are also a cause of acid rain.
Fill in the blank:

--leroy

Huh? I thought nitrogen has a valency of 3 or 5, not 4, so the NO3 ion has a 1- charge (You can also get NO2 ions with 1- charges as well, due to the difference in oxidation state).

I'm sure nitric acid has a formula of HNO3, not H2NO3

06-17-2004 at 02:53 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Some random, useless facts about words:

"TYPEWRITER" can be typed using only the top row of letters on a standard keyboard.

"STEWARDESSES" can be typed using only the left hand

Longest word in the english language:
PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS (45 letters)
= a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.

If chemical terms are allowed, this is the longest word:
ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE (1185 letters)
= Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain.
This word has appeared in the American Chemical Society's Chemical Abstracts and is thus considered by some to be the longest real word.

Although some say SMILES is the longest word because there is a MILE between the first and last letters...

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-17-2004 at 08:40 PM
agaricus5
Nillo wrote:
If chemical terms are allowed, this is the longest word:
ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE (1185 letters)
= Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain.
This word has appeared in the American Chemical Society's Chemical Abstracts and is thus considered by some to be the longest real word.
Actually, I'd think that to be completely wrong. What you have written is actually just the names of the amino acid components of some protein stuck together in a semi-chemical format. Since many proteins can be hundreds to thousands of amino acids long, written in this way, they would contain several thousand letters.

However, I have no idea if this is actually an accepted way of writing the full name of a protein or not, so I guess this is not really true.

Plus, each amino acid has a much longer chemical definition, so if each amino acid was translated into its chemical counterpart, it would be much longer. For example, glycine, the shortest amino acid found in nature, has a structure like this:

H   H   O
     \\  |  //
      N-C-C
     /  |  \\
    H   H   O-H

CH2NH2COOH (I think)

Its proper name is 2-aminoethanoic acid, which is much longer than its special name.

06-17-2004 at 09:42 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
"Strengths" is the longest one syllable word in the English language.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-17-2004 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Except, of course, for "Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!"

06-17-2004 at 10:53 PM
The_Red_Hawk
mrimer wrote:
"Strengths" is the longest one syllable word in the English language.

Also the longest one with only one vowel.

06-17-2004 at 11:50 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I think the title of longest word with only one vowel belongs to "psychorhythms", but only if you're not counting the y.

06-18-2004 at 02:45 AM
RoboBob3000
That last fact was found from this interesting site, which also makes this claim:

"DORD is a non-existent word entered into the second edition of Webster's New International Dictionary by mistake."

If only it had been DROD.

06-18-2004 at 02:58 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
No piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times.

The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is "uncopyrightable".

Bat's only turn left when they exit a cave.

Peanut Butter is the main ingredient of dynomight.
06-18-2004 at 04:23 AM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Stuwy wrote:
No piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times.

That's of course if you do it with just your hands. You can fold it more than 7 times if you use a vise or pliers.
06-18-2004 at 04:41 AM
RoboBob3000
I can fold a piece of paper with my hands 7 times. Just not in half every time.

06-18-2004 at 04:43 AM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Yes... I think he means this:

You cannot fold a square piece of paper in half more than seven times only using your hands.

I've heard this before, but I don't know how true it is.

If a really strong man (or woman) tried to do it, I'm sure he/she could... I dunno.

[Edited by Zmann on 06-18-2004 at 03:52 AM GMT]
06-18-2004 at 04:49 AM
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com