Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vista complains about ST2 after installation (I think it's just cranky)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Vista complains about ST2 after installation (0)  
Forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to think to back when I was on here, but I can't remember if this was a common issue...

This came up immediately after installation, right after I closed the install wizard.
I'm honestly not sure what to make of it. It might have installed incorrectly? Well, I wanted to look at the software before making a guess whether or not it's working, so I just closed it without choosing anything (In hindsight I should've clicked the blue information icon at the bottom; maybe it would identify the troublesome setting for me.)
I'm running it on a brand new widescreen Vista laptop. This is the first time I've ever actually used Vista, so I'm not familiar with this error. ST2 ran fine on every XP machine. :?
Also, ST1 did not give this error when I installed it. :huh

I took a quick check through editor, playtesting, "campaign", all that jazz. No crashes yet, but I barely grazed the surface.

Also, my monitor's brings up an annoying pop-up about me not using an "optimal resolution" when I play in Fullscreen mode.
I wasn't aware that at some point between 2002 and present day, it became a sin to use any resolution under 1366x786. :rolleyes
I'll work that problem out on my own.
Edit: It just occurred to me, that, unlike CRT display, LCD display has rigid pixel position and size and isn't made for varying resolution. So I guess the laptop should complain about the size...

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 09-21-2009 05:53 AM]
09-21-2009 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Vista complains about ST2 after installation (0)  
I've never seen this one before. Then again, obviously ST2 can't conform to Vista standards, considering it predates Vista. I wouldn't worry about it, myself - does the game run normally?

(note to self: update Linux port)

09-21-2009 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Unfortunately, I've been having to use Vista for quite a while.

Basically, You'll see that message whenever the computer gets bored.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't mean anything, but it seems to show up at the oddest of moments, like just after you've uninstalled a program.

Unless the game is crashing, ignore it. ;)

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-21-2009 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
wonkyth wrote:
Unfortunately, I've been having to use Vista for quite a while.

Basically, You'll see that message whenever the computer gets bored.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't mean anything, but it seems to show up at the oddest of moments, like just after you've uninstalled a program.
A cousin of mine described Vista to me this way: They removed everything good from Longhorn, and what was left over they made paranoid and incompatible with a lot of older software.

You might want to try running ST2 in compatibility mode; that can sometimes help. By the way, which version of Vista are you using?

Click here to view the secret text

09-21-2009 at 03:07 PM
hatkirby
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
This is a bit offtopic but, there's a Linux port?!!?!!? Really? The downloads page mentions that SubTerra has been known to work in WINE (it hasn't worked that well for me in WINE) but a port would be great.

09-21-2009 at 07:32 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
Vista is ... quite the OS.

Did you remember to give your computer it's weekly blood sacrifice? :unsure

09-21-2009 at 09:43 PM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
War is the only state of a Vista user.
Which reminds me, I need to go head-hunt some nasty windows registry entries...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-22-2009 at 06:42 AM
Radiant
hatkirby wrote:
This is a bit offtopic but, there's a Linux port?!!?!!? Really? The downloads page mentions that SubTerra has been known to work in WINE (it hasn't worked that well for me in WINE) but a port would be great.

Yes. There was one years ago, but I've finally gotten myself a Linux machine again that allowed me to recompile it. This was surprisingly easy; after all these years the code still passed Make with only a few little tweaks.

Check http://crystalshard.net/subdown.htm for the once-again Linux port, and please tell me if it works for you.

[Last edited by Radiant at 09-26-2009 11:48 AM]
09-26-2009 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hatkirby
Rank Points: 10
Radiant wrote:
hatkirby wrote:

Yes. There was one years ago, but I've finally gotten myself a Linux machine again that allowed me to recompile it. This was surprisingly easy; after all these years the code still passed Make with only a few little tweaks.

Check http://crystalshard.net/subdown.htm for the once-again Linux port, and please tell me if it works for you.
You have reached the level of supreme awesomeness, not only for making SubTerra but also for porting it to Linux :D

I tried it and it seems to be working rather well. I only have a few complaints. First, the music is very quiet and if I turn the volume up so I can actually hear it, the speakers emit an annoying clicking sound. Second, the cursor doesn't seem to actually be bound to the mouse, as it moves around awkwardly and is rarely where I want it to be. (I managed to fix that problem by turning up the game speed, but it's still a bit of an inconvienence) Thirdly, (and this may not be your fault), but I can't exit levels because Ubuntu catches F10 and brings up a menu. I'm trying to find if there's a way to disable that keyboard shortcut, but if there were a way for SubTerra to override it, that would be nice. And lastly, the sound effects are much louder than the music, which makes it hard to find a balance.

Thank you for releasing the Linux port, though! Anyway to minimize the time I have to use Windows Vista.... Just a side question, but can I move my player data from Windows to Linux? Does it just involve copying over the Data folder?

09-26-2009 at 05:31 PM
Radiant
You can probably fiddle with your TiMidity settings to resolve the volume issue?

I think you should be able to copy your player directory, I haven't tested that yet. The important file is data/YOURPLAYERNAME/player.cfg, the rest is just demos. Can you try that?

09-26-2009 at 07:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vista complains about ST2 after installation (I think it's just cranky)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com