Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Lines
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged

File: Lines.hold (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 117 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Lines (+2)  
Remember the sixth level of Dugan's? This is sort of like that.

You should finish in Thorce West, if you are solving everything in the intended fashion.

Well, enjoy. A second level is somewhat in the works.

[Last edited by Ravon at 09-27-2009 06:46 PM]
09-14-2009 at 10:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dr. Murphy
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Lines (+1)  
This is a very cool hold! :thumbsup

I have only been able to do the first two lanes from the bottom, but they were well done. Comments:

Click here to view the secret text

Has anyone managed to conquer the top line so far?
09-14-2009 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Heh! I guess you are perfetctly awere that the scroll that says Impossible! Lies, and that you just put it there to appeal to the players ego?
09-14-2009 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
It is possible to beat it way earlier in septence west in fact although this is a very good Idea

09-14-2009 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
The best I can do is 7W. I kind of like this concept, can't wait to see more!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-14-2009 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
New version attached to first post.

A couple things that are supposed to be true that I would appreciate if you told me if they are false (secreted for minor spoilers):

Now it should actually take until Thorce West to finish.

[Last edited by Ravon at 09-15-2009 05:00 AM]
09-15-2009 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Your only error is that the wraithwings can done in one go through still and I did it in the room before thorce.

Edit:I could have done it faster if I understood how to do the fourth lane earlier on

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-15-2009 02:42 PM]
09-15-2009 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
blorx1 wrote:
Your only error is that the wraithwings can done in one go through still and I did it in the room before thorce.

Thank you lots, and I believe I've fixed it. Hold on the first post.
09-15-2009 at 05:47 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Sorry, managed to pass the wraithwing section before the interlude.
You could use blue doors to entirely block off one of the pressure plates from the wraithwings - that would solve the problem, but make it a bit more obvious what you have to do.

Also, since you can reach the interlude early, you can reach the 2nd from the top line with your sword in any direction you want. That must be how people have been solving it early.

Very clever hold though.

[Last edited by Jacob at 09-15-2009 02:06 PM]
09-15-2009 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I am fairly certain that you cannot do the wraithwings before the interlude if blue gates are surrounding the wraithwing that should be on the northern pressure plate thus the others have no where to go

09-15-2009 at 02:41 PM
Blondbeard
You can still do the wraithwings before the interlude. I comleted the hold in 7W.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-15-2009 04:47 PM]
09-15-2009 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Thank you lots, everyone. These wraithwings are really kicking my butt. Am I correct that solutions before the interlude involve catching the three of them near the rightmost pressure plate and maneuvering after crossing the timed door?

I have changed the blue doors to create a small shelf below the rightmost plate. If the solution I mentioned above is the solution used, this should solve it. It is still possible to wiggle the wraithwings around the blue door, but not to keep them stuck behind the pressure plate and pull them down later. The timer should prevent the player from sticking each wraithwing where it belongs and then exiting (the intended solution).

Does this work? If not, would lowering the shelf one square fix it? Do I need to take a completely different approach to making this impossible on the first attempt?

New hold on the first post.
09-16-2009 at 01:36 AM
blorx1
This is fixed, it is certainly a good idea It's probably hard to make but a second level is a great idea. It probably requires you to go to thorce west this hold deserves a :thumbsup

09-16-2009 at 01:47 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118

File: Lines 4W.demo (746 bytes)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Lines (+2)  
The wraithwing section is not fixed, and lowering the shelf one square would not fix it either. You really are going to need to figure out a new approach to block it.
09-16-2009 at 02:33 AM
Ravon
All right. This time I fixed it.
09-16-2009 at 03:29 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've played through this one too. It's a very cool idea for a hold.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-19-2009 08:02 AM]
09-19-2009 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
icon Re: Lines (0)  
I managed to solve the hold in 12W, but the multiple runthroughs seems to work now.
09-19-2009 at 03:50 PM
Ravon
Thanks CSR! I'm glad you liked it. My thoughts about your thoughts follow.

09-19-2009 at 07:05 PM
Jacob
I can now only finish in 13w. Cool hold.
Should be easy to enforce non sword turning in the bottom row. Just tie the existing mechanism to the door you need to exit through.
Like the idea of a secret if you finish early.
Maybe provide golems to replace the open blue doors??

pp.s. a second level would be great to see. I might see if I could come up with one of my own too.

[Last edited by Jacob at 09-19-2009 08:07 PM]
09-19-2009 at 08:05 PM
Ravon
New version up at the top. I made a couple changes, most notable of which is the addition of secret rooms. I'm feeling pretty good about this version of this level.

NB: I'm aware that the third line can be completed on the first pass. It is my intention that it will be more difficult before the interlude.
09-26-2009 at 08:06 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I've played through the new version. Finished the "required" forks in 12W this time. I do like the idea of adding in secret rooms. :)

What are you planning to put in the secret rooms? It would be nice if these rooms were solvable but not trivially so. Having some highscorable rooms in the hold will allow it to move to players' Conquered Holds' lists after publication.
09-27-2009 at 04:31 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Hmm, I can't seem to find the solution to Fourth line now. Anyone could drop a hint or two please?

Edit2: Ok, actually, I have just got it. Nifty and devilish :).

Edit3: AAAaaand, done! So, the results:

Now I will be waiting for you to fill the secret rooms. Great work so far!

[Last edited by skell at 09-27-2009 09:35 AM]
09-27-2009 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
skell wrote:
Edit3: AAAaaand, done! So, the results:
Fantastic! I like your method to reach the first secret room quite a bit. That secret room has been moved to Twice North. This is especially nice because it is now possible to reach all secret rooms in one pass. The secret rooms are still empty, but I am playing with an idea that could be fun.

Also, it is now impossible to turn your sword and complete the first line.

Update on the first post.
09-27-2009 at 06:45 PM
Jacob
I hope work on this hold continues.

You may be interested to learn that I've done 4/5 lines of my level, which I would be happy to contribute to this hold.

10-02-2009 at 12:50 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I've played the latest microiteration of this hold.

I like that I can now complete everything in one pass. And I like the added efficiency challenge in reaching the first secret room. :)

If Jacob's level is added, I think it would be nice to test/debug it as a separate hold before it gets incorporated in this hold.
10-02-2009 at 06:54 AM
Ravon
I'd be glad to include your level, Jacob. I have started work on a new level of my own, and it is coming along but slowly. It would be a lot of fun to have a few different variations on the constant room theme, and not only lines, but for now lines are good. I suppose I could set up a beta board if that seems helpful, but I like the public architecture process.
10-03-2009 at 01:13 AM
Jacob
OK, here's mine.

More to be done with the top line probably.

[Edit: newer version further down in thread.]

[Last edited by Jacob at 10-04-2009 09:21 PM]
10-03-2009 at 12:29 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
I've played Jacob's level, which seems a teeny bit trickier than Ravon's level. Also very nice.

10-03-2009 at 10:14 PM
Ravon
I liked Jacob's level. Especially the aumtlich/mirror line and the top line, though I agree that perhaps the secret should be handled differently. I had one turn extra with which to reach the secret room, was this intentional? The briar line was nice, but perhaps something else could be added? The second pass felt like little more than, well, a pass.

It was fun seeing another person's version of this. Thanks, Jacob.
10-04-2009 at 08:29 AM
Jacob
OK, here's a new version. [edit: newer one later]
1st line's meant to take two passes - does this fix it? [edit: No]
The 4th and 5th lines are now a little bit more interesting/challenging.

[Last edited by Jacob at 10-08-2009 10:37 PM]
10-04-2009 at 09:20 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Lines
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com