Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Internet Meme Fight ((I am the meme-iest))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged
icon Internet Meme Fight (0)  
I got the idea following the following conversation in the chat:

Click here to view the secret text

So anyway, here's how it works:

Alice comes up with a meme and makes reference to it.
Bob sees the meme, posts a message that makes it clear he has understood it, and additionally contains a reference to another meme.
The process repeats for the lifetime of the thread.

Note, however, that the meme spotted need not be the intended meme, it just has to make sense. Nor are you limited to one meme. However, please do contain at least one intended reference, so as to prevent a complete and total standstill.

The game starts with this post. The chatlog does not contain the meme.

08-01-2009 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Internet Meme Fight (0)  
In the above chatlog, pretty much everything before the part where I say "IT IS THE NINETIES" can be skipped. The entire thing is pretty irreverant.

Anyhow, the above contains references to YouTube reviewers, and two games reviewed by one of the previous ones.

I will not start, so as to preserve the shoddy illusion that I have a life. :)

08-01-2009 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
You mad?
08-02-2009 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Nay, for THIS. IS. SPARTAAAA.

08-02-2009 at 09:53 PM
Bobpie
Sillyman wrote:
Nay, for THIS. IS. SPARTAAAA.
Speaking of Movies, I watched MGS4 the other day, best damn movie I ever saw. Well, not as good as Up.
08-03-2009 at 01:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
It's amazing how people have an emotional need to assume that everything they play that is interactive needs to be purely a film or a video game and are unable to enjoy the experience as a whole. Good Lord, there must be at least 69105 games with cutscenes.

08-03-2009 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bobpie
Most important: Gameplay
Important: Music
Nice to have: Story
Vainity: Graphics

Is it so wrong that what I expect from video games is the same thing I started playing them for? And for the record, I did like Indigo Prophecy somewhat, the story was pretty engauging, that is, it was for me, right up until the zombie sex.

08-03-2009 at 04:12 PM
Snacko
There's nothing wrong with that, there is however a problem with attempting to force a narrow, arbitrary set of principles on a medium that encompasses so much more than when you started. Do you hate every movie ever made because it doesn't have any gameplay? Why should the fact that it's on a PS3 and consists mostly of tense interactive sequences change anything?

Plus, by your logic 90% of all jRPGs are absolutely terrible.

08-03-2009 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bobpie
Snacko wrote:
tense interactive sequences
They are called Quick-time Events
Snacko wrote:
Or as your interpretation of my logic.
08-03-2009 at 06:21 PM
Snacko
There are no Quick Time Events in MGS4. You continue to make it more and more clear that you have never played the game, especially since there are about an hour of cutscenes not counting the briefings in the first two acts.

08-04-2009 at 12:00 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Snacko wrote:
I'd say that that's a rather low estimate. :P
08-04-2009 at 02:37 AM
Sillyman
Was there any reason for me to put this thread into Forum Games?

To hopefully un-derail what I (potentially mistakenly) believe is a derailment of thread:

Failure to follow rules ITT.

08-04-2009 at 06:20 AM
Snacko
NiroZ wrote:
Snacko wrote:

Probably, but I'm also counting games like Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy XII and Ys.

Anyway, let's just continue from my first post:

Snacko wrote:
It's amazing how people have an emotional need to assume that everything they play that is interactive needs to be purely a film or a video game and are unable to enjoy the experience as a whole. Good Lord, there must be at least 69105 games with cutscenes.

08-04-2009 at 09:47 AM
Snacko
NiroZ wrote:
Snacko wrote:

Probably, but I'm also counting games like Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy XII and Ys.

Anyway, let's just continue from my first post:

Snacko wrote:

08-04-2009 at 09:47 AM
Bobpie
I honestly thought you were talking about Heavy Rain.
also
Snacko wrote:
especially since there are about an hour of cutscenes not counting the briefings in the first two acts.
Are you talking about the entire game?

[Last edited by Bobpie at 08-04-2009 12:49 PM]
08-04-2009 at 12:45 PM
Snacko
No, the first two acts are made to be sandbox experiences to introduce the player to the mechanics (on easier difficulty levels) and to offer the bulk of the gameplay (on harder levels). Throughout these two acts the total running time of the cutscenes is about one to three hours, while the latter half is about 50% cutscenes. It's a shift from the more immersive, interactive sequences to the later objective of tying up the loose ends and cementing the themes (the meaning of life, the irrelevance of the concept of "genetic destiny", the ever overpowering role of government in people's lives).

The final three acts last about 20 hours, and I'd say there are about eight hours of cutscenes as they generally do a pretty good job of keeping things interactive (such as the one Quick-Time-Event in the game, the microwave sequence which has a nasty habit of overtaxing the system if the disk is at all scratched, where you frantically try to get Snake to the other side as he is literally being cooked alive and you see what's going on with all the other characters as the 11th hour draws ever closer to its end), but the pacing is undeniably uneven.

After my second playthrough, I generally skip the longer cutscenes later in the game (with the exception of the epic 45 minute one at the end of Act 3, and of course the MGS1 heliport level sequence) and have started to really explore the first two acts, which is where the game really opens up. It turns out that you can manipulate the militia to unlock a ton of secrets such as disguises, secret weapons and even alternate areas. In fact, there are no less than 5 distinctive paths through Act 2. You can also do things like exploit the sewer system Hitman style, pick off Liquid's PMCs in order to help the rebels (if they are victorious they will always give you unique items, blow open alternate pathways or may even follow you in order to repay the favor by carving a path for you and killing soldiers who are in your way), can climb up on just about any rooftop, enter any building and even use mortars. Act 3 is very linear, but all of MGS4's massive London map is ripe for exploration, and there is quite a bit to find.

And things did go downhill after the zombie sex, but the zombie sex itself was fine.

08-04-2009 at 02:27 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Sillyman wrote:
Was there any reason for me to put this thread into Forum Games?
[non-rule-based]Wait, what? I assumed that the entire previous discussion just contained internet memes I'd never heard of. Since the same was true of, er, everything before the apparent derailment, other than "this is Sparta".[/non-rule-based]
08-04-2009 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Your face is Sparta (and that's how I like it).

08-04-2009 at 06:21 PM
Sillyman
That's what she said... ¡This cheese is burning me!

08-04-2009 at 08:42 PM
zxcvboy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
icon Re: Internet Meme Fight (-1)  
Hey, Weegee, it is OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or it is the bagel???????? That's Mama Luigi to you! :D

03-27-2011 at 07:04 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
03-27-2011 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Internet Meme Fight ((I am the meme-iest))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com