Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Lars Like You've Never Heard Him. (Unless you are JJ.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Lars Like You've Never Heard Him. (+1)  
A cool guy named "JJ" converted Lars Kristian Aasbrenn's music for Webfoot DROD to MP3s and gave them to me a while back. I then converted them to OGG. You might have preferred the MP3 format, but there are software patent restrictions on its use, and... well, I don't want to use it. OGG files will play through WinAmp and many other media players.

Here is something important I have to ask: Don't distribute LKA's music without getting his permission first. Don't put these files on your website, in your game, in your file-sharing directory, or other public places. Lars only gave me permission to share these files with DROD players. The first time I hear of Lars' songs being available outside of DROD.net, I'll have to take them down.

Enjoy the music! I am not sure if it is possible to play the OGG format in DROD by editing drod.ini. You can try it.

-Erik

06-02-2004 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Lars Like You've Never Heard Him. (+1)  
These URLs may not work right away. Try back later if they don't. Each one is about 4 megabytes to download. Large, yes, but they sound most excellent. :)

Title theme
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6
Level 7
Level 8
Level 9
Win level
Win game

At time of posting, the first URL works and level 1 halfway there.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 06-02-2004 at 09:19 PM GMT: Oops. Fixed URLs.]

06-02-2004 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Lars Like You've Never Heard Him. (0)  
Wow, thanks Erik.

One problem though. There are random pauses in the actual music. Its not my computer either, because it doesn't do it for all the songs. For example, in the song for level two, you hear random popping noises throughout the song. This happens in about all the songs past level two, but it doesn't happen to the songs before that.

Hopefully, this was just a glitch of converting from MP3 to Ogg, and it is fixable.

[Edited by Zmann on 06-02-2004 at 11:42 PM GMT]
06-03-2004 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
With MP3, you will have an inherent loss in sound quality as the encoder removes some of the sound data to enable compression of the file. Since to convert it to OGG, you lose even more sound data, an MP3 to OGG conversion will never sound as good as the original recording. This particular problem has its roots in both encoders, so without the original wave file, this problem is, in effect, permanent.

Oh, and you've got the sound files mixed up, Erik. Although the third song, lev-3-awe/gus was supposed to be for level 3, it was actually used in level 2 in Webfoot DROD. In a similar fashion, piece 2 was used in level 3, piece 4 in level 5, piece 5 in 8, piece 6 in 7, piece 7 in 4 and piece 8 in 6.

With regards to the third piece, I really like it, although it's in a form that I've never heard before. However, the last 45 seconds of it or so, in my opinion the best bit, and the part which inspired me to compose my own DROD music, I still think sounds better on mine. :)

Thanks Erik!

06-03-2004 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
agaricus5 wrote:
With MP3, you will have an inherent loss in sound quality as the encoder removes some of the sound data to enable compression of the file. Since to convert it to OGG, you lose even more sound data, an MP3 to OGG conversion will never sound as good as the original recording. This particular problem has its roots in both encoders, so without the original wave file, this problem is, in effect, permanent.

Yes, but the first few songs sound fine. The level 2 song has pops in the deteriorate that much?

[Edited by Zmann on 06-03-2004 at 01:16 AM GMT]
06-03-2004 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I used two different MP3/OGG converter apps. Apparently, one of them doesn't work so well. No time to fix the songs right now, but I'll do it later.

-Erik

06-03-2004 at 02:37 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I seem to recall having the old XXXX-AWE.mid files from my Webfoot copy, which I can play in winamp. Should I upload them somewhere, as the sound in them is all nice and perfect?

06-03-2004 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
The problem is that the sound of them will be very different for you than it is for us. MIDI files contain no stream data, only sequencer data, so it relies on the sounds in your sound card and its quality to create the music you hear. As an example...

Wait 20 minutes. I'll go and upload an extract of my version of one of the songs so you can hear the difference due to having a much different sound card.

06-03-2004 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
DiMono wrote:
I seem to recall having the old XXXX-AWE.mid files from my Webfoot copy, which I can play in winamp. Should I upload them somewhere, as the sound in them is all nice and perfect?

Yes, please. Downloading a total of around 50MB on my 33.6 modem is not something I want to do. Lower quality is an insignificant issue in comparison.

[Edited by Mikko on 06-03-2004 at 11:22 AM GMT]
06-03-2004 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: Lev3-awe Segment.ogg (620.3 KB)
Downloaded 118 times.
License: Other
Oops. Technical problems.

20 minutes turned into 2 hours. :)

Listen to this and compare the difference that a MIDI file can make if played on a different computer with a different sound card.

Extract from Lev3-awe, 4:44 to 5:21.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 06-03-2004 at 12:11 PM GMT]

06-03-2004 at 01:10 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
That's fine. Everybody note that the same rules apply to these mid files as well the earlier files I posted. Do not publicly distribute outside of the forum without getting permission from Lars first. Distributing them with DROD is different--I already have permission for that.

-Erik

06-03-2004 at 05:08 PM
aasbrenn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Hi guys,
Just want to say thanks for still putting up with my music. You are all crazy drods!

Lars Kristian Aasbrenn
:D

[Edited by aasbrenn on 07-21-2004 at 09:18 AM GMT]
07-21-2004 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
aasbrenn wrote:
Hi guys,
Just want to say thanks for still putting up with my music. You are all crazy drods!

Lars Kristian Aasbrenn
:D

[Edited by aasbrenn on 07-21-2004 at 09:18 AM GMT]
I'd say quite the opposite. Rather than "putting up" with the music, it's more like being very impressed and inspired by it.

Well, at least that's what I think.

07-21-2004 at 11:23 AM
ErikH2000
aasbrenn wrote:
Hi guys,
Buddy! Since you're stopping by, there's something else you should really see. People wrote lyrics for some of your songs!

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewpage.php?TopicID=3121

-Erik

07-21-2004 at 03:56 PM
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
DiMono wrote:

Are you going to upload them? I would really enjoy takeing a look at the diffierences between the awe and sb16 midis.
08-04-2004 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Oh, right, I completely forgot about that. If you go to this link right here you'll find them all zipped up. Please do not distribute the files to anyone, for any reason, or I'll be forced to remove the zip file and it won't be there for download any more.

08-05-2004 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Rank Points: 61

File: level8.ogg (2.1 MB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Other
Ug...some of those are really bad.

Anyway, i thought i'd just help out by making a crystal-clear version of level8. This is alot better than what eric gave.

Agaricus5: My Turtle Beach Catalina pwns your card!
03-27-2005 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
SbCl3 wrote:
Anyway, i thought i'd just help out by making a crystal-clear version of level8. This is alot better than what eric gave.

It probably does, but I don't like your version much either (although it is a little better). Some of the instruments are a bit twangy, and I can't hear the tune (the most important part) or the chords very well in some of the parts.

03-27-2005 at 12:50 PM
SbCl3
Rank Points: 61
agaricus5 wrote:
SbCl3 wrote:

It probably does, but I don't like your version much either (although it is a little better). Some of the instruments are a bit twangy, and I can't hear the tune (the most important part) or the chords very well in some of the parts.

odd...it plays perfect on here. I recorded exactly what I heard from the game to wave format and then to ogg. When i recorded I heard no loss of sound.
03-27-2005 at 02:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Lars Like You've Never Heard Him. (Unless you are JJ.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com