Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : XML speech files never work
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
IP: Logged
icon XML speech files never work (-1)  
First, if you go to the RPG Architecture board and go to minimike's new hold (you'll know which one it is if it's just called Hold), you'll see I decided to proofread it.

Thing is, DROD RPG XML files are EXTREMELY picky about what the header data is. If the LAST FRIGGING UPDATED number is changed, DROD RPG won't accept the XML file, and just spits out a 'file corrupted' error. That isn't a bug, that's just some retard move that makes me start to hate DROD RPG for being so damned stiff.
So what happens when you get DROD RPG's needs met? NOTHING. That's right, not a single bit is changed in the hold, even though the game says it imported successfully. WHAT. THE. HELL.
Why do you allow us to export XML files if we can't do ANYTHING useful with it? :nugget

07-09-2009 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: XML speech files never work (0)  
IIRC, they're made so you can proofread easily, without switching between rooms and stuff and maybe missing dialogue.
07-09-2009 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Monkey
Monkey wrote:
... not a single bit is changed in the hold, even though the game says [the XML file] imported successfully.

[Last edited by Monkey at 07-09-2009 02:43 PM]
07-09-2009 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
My post was in reply to your last sentence. I don't think importing XML files ever worked correctly, by the way.
07-09-2009 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: XML speech files never work (+1)  
Even if I haven't tried the XML functions in RPG, the "problems" that you are describing here don't sound like bugs to me.

I think the problem is that you don't understand what the XML are supposed to be used for. That's fine with me, but this sound like "work as designed".

Not a bug.

[Last edited by Tim at 07-09-2009 04:44 PM]
07-09-2009 at 04:43 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Monkey, yes, you should only be changing the texts in the XML file, not the global ID values. FYI -- I use the XML import functionality whenever I build a localized foreign language version of DROD, which has been limited to official Russian builds, so far. This works fine for me in regular DROD, but I haven't tried it specifically in the RPG and it is possible that there is some kind of bug. However, in order to address your problem, I would need to know exactly what you are changing in the XML file and what you would expect to occur when you import the changed file. Maybe I can help you accomplish what you're attempting.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-10-2009 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey

File: ggemsXml.zip (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Public Domain

File: ggemsXml.zip (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
Well, here's the starting XML file, the proofed (if that's the word for it after this many changes, so maybe 'uber-edited' :P), and the file that came after I piped the output of 'diff ggems.xml ggemsProofed.xml' to a text file. I'm expecting the text in the hold to be replaced with the text in the new XML file, but obviously that isn't happening. :(

And yes, I am as boring with sandbox hold names as the XML files would apply. :fun

Edit: Whups, missed a part in the uber-edited XML file.

Also, for the record, most of my RAGE will probably get vented to the DoomRL forums, since that's all I play nowadays (I was never on the MAngband main servers yesterday killing the swamp dragon fly for an easy 9 levels :P)

[Last edited by Monkey at 08-11-2009 03:30 AM]
08-11-2009 at 03:22 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I think one issue is, many people, including myself, would like to use XML files to replace the existing text in a hold. This would be so helpful with proofreading, for example.

But replacing the existing text is not what it was ever meant to do.
08-11-2009 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I'd hazard a guess that you can't replace the original "eng" text with this, but only add additional languages...

Does it work if you change "eng" to, say, "foo" and set "Language=foo" in your drod.ini?

08-11-2009 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Err...
D:

Okay, feature request. Allow localization files to replace text, regardless of language. :|

08-12-2009 at 03:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : XML speech files never work
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com