Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Playing more than one game?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrshabi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon Playing more than one game? (0)  
My Son wants to play DROD Too so can I restore the game back to level 1 for him and still continue with level 11 for me?
Anyone know?
04-27-2003 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Playing more than one game? (0)  
Open the DROD data directory.
( c:\\Program Files\\DROD\\Data\\ )
There find the file named "drod1_5.dat".
It stores your progress in the game.
Make a backup copy of it someplace safe.

As far as resetting to level one... I guess
you have to reinstall DROD.

Then when you want to play, make a backup
copy of your son's drod1_5.dat, and put
yours back in place.

When you are done, put your son's
drod1_5.dat back or else he'll get your
game... (be sure so update your backup copy
of the .dat file!).

So... that's sort of a pain, isn't it.
And sort of dangerous, be careful to keep
track of the two different .dat files so you
don't loose your game!

04-27-2003 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
needhelp7211
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
It is so simple. You are still play the level 11 and whenever your son want to play level 1, he can restore the level one (the game will start wherever he leave after playing.

04-27-2003 at 02:56 AM
bdcribbs
I'm not sure if that would work. The person who hadn't made it that far would have to remember which room they left off in every time... and also, when they resumed their game, it wouldn't be in the state they left it, it would be in the state of the original player.
You can often do the rooms in a different order... so, say I've only beaten one room on a level, and I quit... then I go to restore, but the person playing that level the first time didn't solve the same room first... so you see the problem.

Not to mention he would miss out on having his own victory demo's... and for me, I'd be too tempted cheat by to looking at the demo's of mrshabi's.
04-27-2003 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
It does work, bdcribbs. You just have to swap over the two .dat files every time you start and end playing and then you won't have a problem.

But I believe there will be a facility for multiple games available in the next release anyway.

"Oook!"
04-27-2003 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
ummm, right, that's what I said. (It was the restore option I meant wouldn't work out).

Anyway, an easier way, if you've got the disk space, is to reinstall DROD and simply tell it to install in a different directory.

(Then edit your start menu appropriately).

This is what I ended up doing today. I beat the game yesterday btw, neat-o.
04-29-2003 at 06:02 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
That's what I meant too... the restore screen reads straight from the .dat file (I think), so it looks at what rooms you have completed and only lets you restore those. Same with demos. In effect it's like having two copies of the game in one directory. You couldn't look at the other player's because they are locked in his .dat file and unless you swap them back the program won't notice they are there because the file is under a different name.

"Oook!"
04-29-2003 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shanka108
Rank Points: 31
i don't get it. I have caravel installed on my laptop and my desktop. I mostly play with the desktop so I try and update that dat file on the laptop, but the laptop never advances to where I am on the desktop. I have tried copying the dat file to the laptop and even tried copying the whole drod folder and still end up 3 levels behind on the laptop...can't synchronize the two computers. I am running windows '98 1st edition on the desktop and xp home on the laptop...maybe that is why.
Any techies out there have the answer:huh?
thanks

[Edited by shanka108 on 08-22-2003 at 08:24 PM GMT: spelling]

08-22-2003 at 09:18 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, one solution is to wait a few weeks. I know, it's harsh, but the Architect's Edition release has player import/export, which makes things easy.

But it shouldn't be the operating system that's the problem. Short of poking around on there for you, the only thing I can suggest is deleting the DROD folder on the laptop first, then copying over your desktop folder to fill the void. If that doesn't work, DROD would be reading from a different data file, in which case you have to find it.

Matt

08-23-2003 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
shanka108
Rank Points: 31
I tried deleting entire folder and replacing with the desktop folder to no avail...strange

I finally looked at properties of the dat file and changed the file attribute from read-only to archive and it worked fine:huh
I am not a computer wiz and don't know much about file attributes, but that worked to update the laptop to the same level as my desktop.

thanks

08-23-2003 at 11:22 AM
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
Rather than deleting the .dat file try renaming the extension to .tad or something. Then copy your other .dat file to the other computer.

08-24-2003 at 02:30 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Why doesn't someone say get another copy of DROD so both of them can use different ones?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-06-2003 at 12:17 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
The copies would use the same file to get the data from. Two different copies would have the same thing.

09-06-2003 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
icon Re: Re: Playing more than one game? (0)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Why doesn't someone say get another copy of DROD so both of them can use different ones?

I said exactly that in this thread, scroll up a bit...
bdcribbs wrote:
Anyway, an easier way, if you've got the disk space, is to reinstall DROD and simply tell it to install in a different directory.

zex20913 wrote:
The copies would use the same file to get the data from. Two different copies would have the same thing.

Two installations side by side will use seperate dat files.
AE will only upgrade the most recent one of them, you've got to do install-upgrade1-export1-reinstall-upgrade2-import1... but very few people are in that situation.
09-06-2003 at 07:52 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Playing more than one game?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com