Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Failed to Start DROD - RPG Bug (I cannot seem to load Tendry's Tale.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Charlie Eppes
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon Failed to Start DROD - RPG Bug (0)  
I have just purchaced and installed Tendry's Tale (Version 1.1, Build 54), and every time I start it I get the message:

"Failed to Start DROD

Couldn't access DROD data. If you are running DROD from a networked location, this could be a cause of the problem. It's also possible that another application is trying to access DROD data at the same time; you may wish to retry running DROD after other applications have been closed."

I am not connected to any network and I tried closing everything except "explorer" through Ctrl-Alt-Delete and it still didn't work. Also, I am running Windows 98.

I have searched the forum for other entries and an identical problem entry came up for the "Caravel DROD: Architect's Edition Build 16," but other than that there is nothing.

What do I need to do to get Tendry's Tale running?

05-30-2009 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Failed to Start DROD - RPG Bug (0)  
Charlie Eppes wrote:
What do I need to do to get Tendry's Tale running?
Make sure that the "DataPath.txt" file in the folder you installed the game to contains references to the Data subdirectory of the same folder. That's what usually causes this error.

np: David Sylvian - Jean The Birdman (Everything And Nothing (Disc 2))

05-30-2009 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Charlie Eppes
Briareos wrote:

Make sure that the "DataPath.txt" file in the folder you installed the game to contains references to the Data subdirectory of the same folder. That's what usually causes this error.

I checked and it contains the correct reference as follows:
C : \ P R O G R A M F I L E S \ D R O D R P G - T E N D R Y ' S T A L E \ D a t a ; C : \ P R O G R A M F I L E S \ D R O D R P G - T E N D R Y ' S T A L E \ D a t a ;

I have tried removing the duplicate entry, with and without the semi-colon, and starting it up again, with no success, and it just goes back to the same text as before. (Don't worry I copied and restored the original back in its place.) What now?

05-30-2009 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Charlie Eppes wrote:
I have tried removing the duplicate entry, with and without the semi-colon, and starting it up again, with no success, and it just goes back to the same text as before.
Nope, the second entry is okay - it's always been like this.

One thing you can try is deleting the DataPath.txt file then going up a directory in Explorer and running drod.exe directly; that should re-create the DataPath.txt file and is usually the most fail-safe way of running the game.

If that doesn't work I'm afraid we'll have to wait until Mike (mrimer) pops in...

(It might be that the game simply doesn't work on Windows 98 - at least I doubt any of the developers tested it on an OS that's been unsupported by Microsoft for almost 3 years now...)

np: Alias & Tarsier - Picking The Same Lock (Brookland & Oaklyn)

05-30-2009 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Charlie Eppes
Briareos wrote:
It might be that the game simply doesn't work on Windows 98 - at least I doubt any of the developers tested it on an OS that's been unsupported by Microsoft for almost 3 years now...

:? I was afraid you were going to say that. I just tried that method and it failed. I knew that this computer was probably too old now, but since the demo download says "Setup for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista" I assumed that it should work.

Since my brother has my laptop for a few weeks, I guess I will have to wait :~( (That is if there is no simple solution from Mr. Rimer.)

Thanks anyway for all your help.

05-31-2009 at 12:28 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Failed to Start DROD - RPG Bug (I cannot seem to load Tendry's Tale.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com