Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : The Number of Ways To Do Level 15: Once South, Twice West
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon The Number of Ways To Do Level 15: Once South, Twice West (0)  
If you have a recorded demo of this room or you can remember how to complete this room, and it differs from the ones below, then please submit the sequence of moves you used to collapse all of the trapdoors.

However, before posting, here are a few things to watch out for:

1. Start the sequence only after stepping on the first trapdoor and end it once you step off the last one.
2. When you get to an orb, please indicate that and which orb it is, so when we try it out, we can check with it that it is correct, or find out if we made a wrong move. For example:
4 NW, 4NE, 1E, Orb 1
3. It's not necessary to submit turning moves; just indicate that you have reached an Orb.
4. Don't submit moves that bump into walls or pits, or are unnecessary if they don't do anything.

Finally, I can't be bothered to post my sequence yet so I'll do it later!

Happy solving!

[Edited by agaricus5 on 04-26-2003 at 10:48 AM]

04-26-2003 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: The Number of Ways To Do Level 15: Once South, Twice West (0)  
Heres my solution. Not using secret because of the forum. If you want me to change that let me know.

3N 2W NE W N 2NE N NW 2N 3NE N NW N 2E ORB1
4SW S 2SE 4SW ORB2
E 2SE 2NE 2N 2NW 3NE ORB3
W 2NW W SW 2S SW ORB4
E 3S 2SE S SE S E NE ORB5
W N NW 2N NE E ORB6
NW N 5NW ORB7
E N E S E 3N

04-27-2003 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
I notice that the beginning and ending moves, where you are just clearing away unneeded trapdoors, could be done in a few different ways even if the solution to the puzzle was essentially the same. And you could decide to enter the orbs diagonally and exit them laterally, or vice versa, giving different series of moves where the essence of the solution was the same.
In fact, it looks like Scott and I's solutions are pretty much the same, the aforementioned variances taken into account. I bet this could be a question on a final exam in a stats course... one which I would probably flunk.

Anyway... I despise combinitorics so much that I must love them deep down.

I did this:

2N NW W N E SE N NE N NW 2N NW N 3NE N NW NE E ORB1
4SW S 2SE 3S 2SW W NW ORB2
E NE 2N 4NE ORB3
W 2NW W SW 2S SW ORB4
E 4S 4SW S E NE ORB5
W 4N NE ORB6
W 2N 5NW ORB7
E N E S E N E NW N

(edited to fix a typo... I had typed 5NE in the path to orb #7, corrected it to 5NW)

[Edited by bdcribbs on 04-27-2003 at 07:24 AM]
04-27-2003 at 08:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
I actually mapped out this stage to do it, because it's a pain, and just from my one route, I can vary it at least 20 different ways, what would challenge me is to calculate the maximum total ways... but I'm far too rusty on my permutation mathematics...

03-05-2004 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Wow, back from the dead.

I'm not at a computer with DROD on it right now, so I don't have a demo handy to watch, but I always start by zig-zagging across the trapdoors, so that's another method that can be used for it.

03-05-2004 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : The Number of Ways To Do Level 15: Once South, Twice West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com