Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : No-monster hold voting poll (Vote for the hold you think is the best.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Vote for the hold you think is the best.
"Preconquered" by lopsidation PollPollPoll 5 83.33%
"Pizza Ground" by skell PollPollPoll 1 16.67%
Total Votes 11 100%
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon No-monster hold voting poll (+1)  
Even though we have only two entries, I promised an SMS after all, so gotta do.

Entry 1

Entry 2
05-06-2009 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
icon Re: No-monster hold voting poll (0)  
When the poll does finally expire: can the winner choose any SMS or just the ones that you have?

05-31-2009 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
lopsidation wrote:
When the poll does finally expire: can the winner choose any SMS or just the ones that you have?
Unless you manage to make Mike or some other admin give you another SMS then you can only have one of thouse i listed in original thread

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 06-02-2009 04:27 AM]
06-02-2009 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
I won! Thanks to everyone who voted for me, and thanks to 13th Slayer for hosting the contest.
For the prize, I'll chose DDDD.

06-06-2009 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: No-monster hold voting poll (+1)  
Just to make sure 13th Slayer knows the rules, you cannot just give lopsidation a copy of one of your SmSes. That is copyright infringement.

Unless Mike donated a license for 1 of the SmS issues, you can't hand out any prize yourself.

If you meant to transfer your license of 1 of the SmSes to lopsidation, that means you must delete every copy of the SmS in question and also remove it out of all your DROD installations. Then, Mike would need to remove it from your Caravel account, and associate it with lopsidations's. You will need approval from Mike, before any such transfer can be done.

But all of this doesn't apply here, because our records show you don't have any SmS issues associated with your account, which means that, unless you have another account with the SmSes associated with them, you have pirated them. Now I don't want to make any false assumptions, so if you can provide proof of purchase through our support email (support@caravelgames.com), then everything will be all right.

If you can't, I'm afraid there's some action which needs to be taken. I'll leave that up to Mike though, as he's the person in charge.
06-06-2009 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
VIPCOOL wrote:
So I think he is allowed. (although I don't know why an SMS would be given to such a small unofficial contest)
The DDDD CD would be alright, as it is a donation from Mike. However, it does say 'one of the SMS's of slayer13's', and as 13th slayer doesn't officially own any SmS issues, this doesn't apply.

EDIT: I still think lopsidation deserves a prize though, as it was promised to the winner of the contest. If Mike's OK with that, I vote for giving him his (much deserved) prize anyway.

13th Slayer wrote:
About prizes... i have TONS of SMSes :
Click here to view the secret text
, but don't know whether i can give them away, even trough PMs. Also have all DRODs, too. (all DRODRPGs as well :D)
Officially, there is no record of 13th slayer owning any of the products he lists there, including any of the DROD games. We would need purchase receipts from him to verify the purchases.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 06-06-2009 07:34 PM]
06-06-2009 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
13th Slayer
slimm tom wrote:
Just to make sure 13th Slayer knows the rules, you cannot just give lopsidation a copy of one of your SmSes. That is copyright infringement.
Well, we seem to be lucky here anyway, because Mike provided a winner with a DDDD cd, and that is what our winner picked, yay. So, there is no longer need to do that, right?
06-06-2009 at 08:24 PM
slimm tom
VIPCOOL wrote:
Umm, I think you should either verify your SMS purchases with the support staff at caravel games, admit you are pirating, or admit you were lying in that quote just to boast to people.
That's what I think too.
06-06-2009 at 08:42 PM
13th Slayer
If i admit any of what you said, will lopsidation STILL have his DDDD cd? Because, um... it would not be nice to leave a winner without promised prise. Also, WHY couldn't you tell all that stuff to me BEFORE poll expired?
slimm tom wrote:
If you meant to transfer your license of 1 of the SmSes to lopsidation, that means you must delete every copy of the SmS in question and also remove it out of all your DROD installations.
Seriously, though... do you think anyone, even those who got the SMS'es legally, follows these rules?
slimm tom wrote:
If you can't, I'm afraid there's some action which needs to be taken. I'll leave that up to Mike though, as he's the person in charge.
Like what?

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 06-07-2009 04:37 AM]
06-07-2009 at 04:24 AM
slimm tom
13th Slayer wrote:
If i admit any of what you said, will lopsidation STILL have his DDDD cd? Because, um... it would not be nice to leave a winner without promised prise. Also, WHY couldn't you tell all that stuff to me BEFORE poll expired?
Yes, a CD was promised to him, and he can't help the circumstances, so if Mike agrees, we'll send him the CD.
Seriously, though... do you think anyone, even those who got the SMS'es legally, follows these rules?
Yes, I'm sure most people here will follow those rules when offering one of their own SMS issues as a prize for a contest. This generally doesn't occur very often though, as prizes mostly consist out of new (bought), or donated copies of products.
Like what?
As I said, I'm not the person in charge of those things.
06-07-2009 at 12:11 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: No-monster hold voting poll (+1)  
Ugh...seems like we have some miscommunication with 13th Slayer here, so I'll be happy to help clear this up.

For this unofficial contest, I've contacted lopsidation to provide a registered copy of DDDD on CD. I have a couple copies of this CD left, so I'm fine with awarding one of them. I can't always bail out unofficial contest holders in this fashion, though. In the future, here are the rules Caravel expects everyone to play by:

* Caravel will only award prizes available in the Prize Pile, since these items are what are officially available to contest winners. Caravel may make its own exceptions under special circumstances, and you're always welcome to request one if you have something specific in mind. I'm trying to be generous and helpful and make the Caravel Forum an enjoyable place for everyone to hang out and create good things.
* If some desired prize is unavailable (e.g. someone wants an old SmS on CD that is not in print and no longer in inventory), then we can't offer that. I can't really make an exception for this, because I just don't have the material on-hand. (Erik was in charge of all that until last year, and I can't recreate past SmS CDs.)
* Before you run your contest, you can try to arrange with me for Caravel to provide a licensed downloadable copy of something that Caravel still sells, but I won't agree to provide prizes if you don't agree with me on this before starting your unofficial contest. Sadly, I don't have time personally to keep up with all of the cool, active projects going on here on the Forum, so please don't expect me to notice that you want to give away a game in your unofficial contest and expect I will contact you personally to approve it, or that I will approve a prize after the contest is ended.
* If a forumite wants to run an unofficial contest, then they may offer their own legally-obtained prizes of any sort. You may mail someone a physical item you have, whether it's a DROD CD or something else, like a book or some other game. For example, if you have an extra TCB CD, then you can mail it to the winner. If you have an extra SmS credit in your user account, you may ask Schik to transfer it to the winner of your contest. However, under no circumstances does Caravel permit making pirated copies of CDs or software to give to other forumites. Please don't ever offer someone a copy of a game you pirated, or to give someone a copy of software you bought previously if you plan on keeping a copy for yourself. If you are really serious about offering a prize (other than rank points) for your contest, you must be willing to obtain a dedicated legal copy of the prize to give to the winner. Otherwise, what are you promising a legal prize for when you don't even have one? This is the way all forum contests -- official and unofficial -- have been run in the past, and will continue in this fashion.
* If you don't have a legal copy of our software, then please ask me if I'd be willing to provide an official, licensed copy to the winner of your contest. We rarely do this for unofficial contests, but you are welcome to talk to NiroZ about the possibility of running an official contest one month, where the winner will receive a prize from the official Prize Pile.

I hope that explains everything. I might have missed some detail here, and I'm willing to elaborate if it's needed.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-13-2009 07:55 PM]
06-13-2009 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
That was rather good, mike. I hope you don't mind that I made it into third person and put it into the 'running your own fishbowl' topic.
06-13-2009 at 08:47 PM
13th Slayer
mrimer wrote:

* If you don't have a legal copy of our software, then please ask me if I'd be willing to provide an official, licensed copy to the winner of your contest. We rarely do this for unofficial contests, but you are welcome to talk to NiroZ about the possibility of running an official contest one month, where the winner will receive a prize from the official Prize Pile.
Sorry for my misunderstanding here, but wasn't it you who promised the winner the DDDD cd if she/he wishes?
06-14-2009 at 03:25 PM
13th Slayer
If you will give lopsidation his prize that he deserved after it, methinks it's worth it.

I did.

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 06-16-2009 12:48 PM]
06-16-2009 at 12:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : No-monster hold voting poll (Vote for the hold you think is the best.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com