Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Sea Krait (A yellow water snake)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Sea Krait (0)  
Sea Kraits are snakes that exist in water. They cannot leave the water unless they are moving to kill you. Kraits are not original in the fact they move exactly like other snakes and cannot move diagonally. Plus, they are invulnerable to the sword, bomb, and briar.

Sea Kraits can move underneath water platforms and bridges. Kraits cannot kill you from underneath a platform or bridge, nor can they double back as soon as you are behind their heads to eat you. If there is a choice between jumping up onto a bridge or platform to kill you and passing underneath the bridge or platform, a Krait will always choose the former.

How can they be killed you ask? Bombs destroy everything above the water, briar also grows above the water (never growing underneath to kill a Krait) and their skin is impenetrable. Unlike a serpent, if you trap them into water blocked all around by pit, they will not shrink to death. Their only weakness is pit. If a Sea Krait's head or tail is next to pit (diagonally or orthogonally, it doesn't matter), the Krait will shrink by one tile from the tail. If two tiles of pit are exposed to a Krait, the Krait will shrink by two tiles from the tail end. A total of 14 tiles can be exposed to a Krait at any time and as such, a Krait can shrink a maximum of 14 tiles in any given turn.

That's my idea for a new type of snake. Please comment.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-04-2009 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Sea Krait (0)  
12th Archivist wrote:
That's my idea for a new type of snake. Please comment.
Um...

Puzzle potential, right?
Sea Kraits are snakes that exist in water. They cannot leave the water unless they are moving to kill you. Kraits are not original in the fact they move exactly like other snakes and cannot move diagonally. Plus, they are invulnerable to the sword, bomb, and briar.
It would make sense that anything inside water would be invulnerable to land-based object effects.

Sea Kraits can move underneath water platforms and bridges.
Urgh. I think that could get rather annoying, even if the Krait and platform were small. How could you see where the Krait is if it's underneath an object? Plus, it would lead to the interesting exception of being able to have two monsters (excluding NPCs) occupying a single square. In addition, what about trapdoors with water under them? Would Kraits move under those, as well?

Unlike a serpent, if you trap them into water blocked all around by pit, they will not shrink to death. Their only weakness is pit. If a Sea Krait's head or tail is next to pit (diagonally or orthogonally, it doesn't matter), the Krait will shrink by one tile from the tail. If two tiles of pit are exposed to a Krait, the Krait will shrink by two tiles from the tail end. A total of 14 tiles can be exposed to a Krait at any time and as such, a Krait can shrink a maximum of 14 tiles in any given turn.
This is a rather specific and highly restricted mode of death for these monsters. To kill them, you will need to ensure that you have contacting pit and water in the same room (which isn't exactly very common, nor is it currently aesthetically pleasing) and that Kraits don't entangle themselves anywhere without being in contact with said pit. In addition, would Kraits shorten if both pit and water are being obscured by platforms on both sides?

I personally think this is way too restrictive to make it a useful monster; shortening like a standard serpent by having its head blocked would be a better compromise. Also, I don't understand why there should be a 14-tile restriction on length reduction. You could technically have situations in which Kraits could shorten by up to 2*length (+2) if you put them in 1-wide water lanes lined by pits.

As a water monster, it is interesting, but IMO you need to make its interactions more intuitive (most notably dying and interacting with things on water). You could perhaps make up for its similarity to standard serpents by introducing some other special feature. For example, a crazy idea off the top of my head might be to make them electrically charged, so you can't swing your sword onto any part of them.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 05-04-2009 12:59 AM]
05-04-2009 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Sea Krait (+1)  
The 14 comes from the restriction that head/tail must be next to pit in order to shrink.

05-04-2009 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
agaricus5 wrote:
It would make sense that anything inside water would be invulnerable to land-based object effects.

Er...but...bombs and briars can go over water?
05-04-2009 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
zex20913 wrote:
The 14 comes from the restriction that head/tail must be next to pit in order to shrink.
Ohohoho. I knew that. Yup. Of course I did. I was just testing you, see.

Ahem.

:blush
Banjooie wrote:
Er...but...bombs and briars can go over water?
They can, but if this monster was inside the water (hence its ability to move under platforms and suchlike), then it would simply travel under said objects and explosions.

As an extension to my crazy proposal, you could make this monster a functional converse of the serpent: as well as being electric, you can also step onto its body (not head), much like you could a water platform. The result would be a serpent you can walk on, but not hold your sword over (serpents are the opposite: you cannot walk into them, but you can push your sword over them).

Saying that, I don't know whether such a monster would be intuitive, though.

05-04-2009 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...So does briar float?
05-05-2009 at 10:43 AM
agaricus5
Banjooie wrote:
...So does briar float?
Curiously, it does, and it also grows over water, too. Other things that also float are wall lights, tokens, fuses and relay stations. However, while bomb explosions travel over water, bombs unfortunately do not float.

05-05-2009 at 10:54 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Wall light must be attached to a wall though so don't *actually* float, right? :p

As for the others, I never knew. Do builders drown at their relay station? And don't get me started on the idea of wet fuses...
05-07-2009 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Syntax wrote:
As for the others, I never knew. Do builders drown at their relay station?
Oops. I must have been tired when I wrote that. Relay stations most certainly do not float, I have checked.

I think I must have meant obstacles. Obstacles float on both pits and water.
Wall light must be attached to a wall though so don't *actually* float, right? :p
Heh. So what about lights floating on pits? Although in that case, they'd probably be hanging off the ceiling in some way.

Edit: I realised "wall light" refers to the free-standing non-obstacle light square, and "light" refers to the actual object that looks like a standing lamp.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 05-07-2009 02:13 AM]
05-07-2009 at 01:56 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Don't worry, I was just having a laugh. I've yet to use the editor but though I'd be pedantic about your post ;)
05-09-2009 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Sea Krait (A yellow water snake)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com