Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Play DROD on Joypad (GlovePIE script)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon Play DROD on Joypad (0)  
Since I took part in This discussion, and I had already made a script to play Hengband, I decided to take a second to modify it and voila, here I am.

Some of you probably don't know what GlovePIE is. And that's a big shame. Because you see, we can safely say DROD is a little bit obscure and underrated especially among the casual "3 dims good, 2 dims bad" people (the opposite of "3 dims good, 2 dims better" humans). Even though we know and love DROD, there are people who, without a second of thought, would say "Logic games SUCK!" or "What the funk? No 3D? Dude, we are no longer in prehistoric you know?", but quite probably in less polite and more trollish way. That's because, you see, DROD is a wine tester, true sommelier, the best of its kind, and we are wine, in different states of "growth". You don't have to be old to be ready for DROD, but you have to be good enough to like it (or rather be liked by it).
GlovePIE is quite similar. It's also quite underrated and not too popular, even though it works magic just like DROD does but in a different way.
You see, GlovePIE is a program, which, through scripting or simple gui, allows you to emulate ALL kinds of input AND output - starting from keyboards, mouses and joypads, going through stuff like wiimote and finishing on VRGloves and other similar funky stuff.

That would be it as for the introductory speech :D.

Originally I created this script to play one 7DRL, because I have a notebook, didn't have numpad then (but I bought one already) and playing on the function Numpad was literally bleh :thumbsdown.
That is why I downloaded GlovePIE and wrote a script. After that I evolved it into more advanced script for Hengband, and just a few minuts ago I turned it into DROD script.

It is by no means perfect, unfortunately, but I bet you want to try it already, eh? Ok. First of all you have to get the GlovePIE.
Once you unzip it somewhere you like, open the program and copy the code into it.

For 8 Buttoned pads - 1-4 front buttons, 5-8 shoulders:
Click here to view the secret text

Plug your favorite joypad, wait a couple of seconds for your OS to notice it, hit Play, open DROD and Play!
It works for me, but might take some time to get used to :). If you have any suggestions/feedback, then bring it on!

05-01-2009 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Play DROD on Joypad (0)  
Perhaps a wiimote version? Pad to select direction, A to step, B to run, - to CCW, + to CW?

Edit: And Home to go back to menu, 1 to undo, 2 to reset. Maybe even add experimental motion controls. And I just realized pressing A while holding a direction would be rather awkward, so swap A and B.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 05-01-2009 06:27 PM]
05-01-2009 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Sillyman wrote:
Perhaps a wiimote version? Pad to select direction, A to step, B to run, - to CCW, + to CW?

The problem is I don't have Wiimote so I couldn't test if it works, unfortunately.

05-01-2009 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
And sadly, I don't have windows so I can't either... drat.

05-01-2009 at 07:20 PM
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
I personally would rather plug an exterenal keyboard in but if I didn't have that option, I think this would be very worthwhile.
05-02-2009 at 08:22 AM
skell
Syntax wrote:
I personally would rather plug an exterenal keyboard in but if I didn't have that option, I think this would be very worthwhile.

Yup, so would I. I didn't have an USB keyboard back then unfortunately, that's why I came up with the idea of playing on pad.

05-02-2009 at 09:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Play DROD on Joypad (GlovePIE script)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com