Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Staircase bug? (Return to Prior Location)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
IP: Logged
icon Staircase bug? (Return to Prior Location) (+1)  
Is "Return to previous location" meant to do anything when it's used on staircases as opposed to in a script? It seems to just end the hold.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-18-2016 12:49 PM]
04-22-2009 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Staircase bug? (+1)  
Huh. I can confirm this. Steps to reproduce:

Build a hold with two levels. Use a script or staircase to go to the second level. Walk down a staircase with destination Return To Previous Location.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-22-2009 07:03 PM]
04-22-2009 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Staircase bug? (0)  
You are absolutely right. This destination should have been working both with stair exit points and destinations.

Will fixing this break any published holds?

Fixed in rev 118.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-17-2016 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Staircase bug? (0)  
I do not believe that this change will break any published holds.

Anyway here are my observations of what is happening now. I hope they match up with your expectations. This is a bit complicated to describe so I hope it is understandable.

1) If the first staircase you travel down is to return to your previous location (i.e. there is no previous location) then the hold will end. Seems reasonable to me, or should it take you back to the hold start location?

2) Lets say you travel from floor 1 to a defined entrance in floor 2. If I now go into a staricase or run a script returning me to my previous location, I will find myself back in level 1 right at the foot of the staircase to level 2 or where I was when the script was triggered. This is expected.

3) Lets say that after doing step 2 above, I now run into another staricase that returns me to my previous location, then again I will be teleported to the foot of the staircase to level 2. It seems the destination for where a "return to previous location" command is only updated when you travel to a defined level entrance, so multiple calls of return to previous location in a row will all send you to the same place.

I guess point 3 is expected also? Or, when you return to previous location, should it send you to its current destination and then set the place where you just came from as the new destination point?
01-17-2016 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Staircase bug? (Return to Previous Location) (0)  
#1 is currently by design. Your suggestion is another option, but I can't imagine an architect making use of that -- this occurrence would seem to be unintentional either way, so I think I'd prefer to keep it as-is so that any architectural omission gets clear visibility.
#2 Yes, as intended.
#3 Hmm...I think you're right that we'd want to update the return location in this case. I'll change this soon.

01-17-2016 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Staircase bug? (Return to Prior Location) (0)  
Wow, this was tricky to implement.

Added support in rev 125 to ping-pong between two consecutive "return to prior location" destinations.

01-18-2016 at 01:46 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Staircase bug? (Return to Prior Location) (+1)  
I can confirm that you can now "ping-pong" between two return to previous location destinations in build 1.2.3.133. :thumbsup
01-18-2016 at 10:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Staircase bug? (Return to Prior Location)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com