Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro In Paradise!! (As known as B.I.P!!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
IP: Logged

File: Style7.bmp (294.1 KB)
Downloaded 150 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro In Paradise!! (0)  
Summer is coming up pretty fast so I fiddled around with the Palace style to make it more "beachy". Sorry if the water looks odd (the ripples are whitecaps), I am not the greatist artist. Anyways, try and play the hold Treasure Hunt by Oneiromancer, it looks much more sandy. Enjoy!
04-24-2004 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Beethro In Paradise!! (0)  
It looks pretty neat. I might have made the pillar into a palm tree...

Since we now have this, Beethro in the Clouds, and Beethro in Space, maybe the next monthly challenge could be to create a new tileset :)

04-25-2004 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
DiMono wrote:

Since we now have this, Beethro in the Clouds, and Beethro in Space, maybe the next monthly challenge could be to create a new tileset :)

Well before BIP was ready I decided to put a palm tree instead of the brick and it all ended in catastrophe. All of the tiles were just mixed up and it looked like a big red mess when you playtested it. I'm still solving this mystery as we speak...
04-25-2004 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I'd like to see Beethro in the Himalayas. It could take him longer to move, and there could be little mountainous images all over the place.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
05-14-2004 at 07:03 PM
DiMono
Neat idea, Hawk, but (un?)fortunately such an effect cannot be instigated through a simple bitmap file. You can make it look all rocky, but you can't change how long it takes to move from square to square.

I think there's a lot of potential for people to create new and interesting themed tilesets, and I look forward to seeing all sorts of them. I've now been inspired to finish with Beethro in Space, so when I get back to a computer that doesn't suck I'll jump back in to Photoshop.

05-15-2004 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Beethro In Paradise!! (+1)  
I think tileset editing functionality should be put in the main game and modified tilesets should be included in hold files. As I said a while back.

05-15-2004 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Stuwy wrote:
DiMono wrote:

Well before BIP was ready I decided to put a palm tree instead of the brick and it all ended in catastrophe. All of the tiles were just mixed up and it looked like a big red mess when you playtested it. I'm still solving this mystery as we speak...
Hmm...

When I used to make tilesets for another game I have, I always had problems trying to create tilesets to compile, and couldn't understand why for a long time. What I found the problem to be was that I was using too high a colour depth and that the game could only take 256 colour tilesets. If your tileset doesn't seem to work, try reducing the colour depth in a drawing program to 256 colours (8 bit colour) from whatever it is now (probably 16/32 bit colour).

05-15-2004 at 07:50 PM
DiMono
Your crazy ramblings make a lot of sense. I actually stuck to the colours that were already used elsewhere in the bitmap file when creating Beethro in Space, so I didn't have this problem, but it does make perfect sense.

05-16-2004 at 04:50 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Crazy ramblings?

Wasn't I clear enough?

Okay...

A bitmap file works in a way where every pixel has its own particular sequence of code that tells you exactly how much of each primary colour (red, green and blue) there is in it to make up a colour. The number of colours supported by a particular image is its colour depth, and is measured in terms of the number of bits needed to encode the colour. A bit is simply a binary output, 0 or 1, and so 4 bits are required to encode a hexadecimal number as 16 = 2^4. Many modern images have very high colour depths and so can support 16777216 colours, or 24-bit colour. Each of these are encoded in a unique 6-digit hexadecimal number (3 bytes), which then corresponds to 24 bits of data per colour, hence the name.

In very old computers/Windows software, the number of colours a program could use was limited to 256 colours, thus only requiring 8 bits to encode (2^8 = 256), and so is called 8-bit colour.

What I was saying was that DROD may only be able to run on the 256 colours of older Windows programs, and so in a malfunctioning tileset, you may need to replace all the colours with the standardized 8-bit ones.

Hope it's a little clearer.

05-16-2004 at 08:03 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Beethro In Paradise!! (+1)  
Sorry, I might have spoke up sooner so you didn't have to prolong the speculation...

DROD 1.5 and 1.6 use 16 or 24-bit BMP files. 256 color (8-bit) BMP files should also work, but won't give you any special benefits. Now, the older Webfoot DROD did use 8-bit graphics, so it would be correct to create 256-color bitmaps for that version.

-Erik

05-16-2004 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Beethro In Paradise!! (As known as B.I.P!!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com