Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Side-scrolling games
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon Side-scrolling games (+1)  
I want to play some nice side-scrolling games, platformers.
The latest side-scroller I played is "IJI", a truly amazing gun'n'run platformer.

Know any other good side-scrollers? I'm looking for a fast-paced game where you shoot stuff - the usual.

I already played Cave Story, and many more, but feel free to suggest me all the games you know.

03-08-2009 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Side-scrolling games (+1)  
Well if you have access to something that can play GBA and/or SNES games I would heartily recommend the Metroid titles. Especially Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion; if you haven't please give those a try right now.

If you have ten dollars to spare buy the indie title Noitu Love 2: Devolution. It's a quirky little run 'n gun with great replayability and awesome enemy and boss designs.

Last but not least if you have 20 dollars to spare please buy Aquaria. It's another awesome indie title, a platformer located underwater and it is beyond awesome.

I know none of those are free, but they have been played extensivly by me and I can't recommend any of them higher.

I'm interested in seeing what other games people can recommend though, 2D sidescrollers are one of my favorite genres.
03-08-2009 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Side-scrolling games (0)  
Gunstar Heroes for the Genesis is a must, truly one of the greatest, most engaging shooters out there. It was followed up with a sequel, Gunstar Super Heroes for the Gameboy Advance. It has a greater supports on melee attacks and sacrifices a small amount of quality (the game is still fantastic) for a much greater amount of variety. It also has different storylines depending on the difficulty, lending the game a great amount of replay value, though I sorely miss the original's weapon system and co-op.

Also don't miss Alien Soldier, GH's spiritual sequel which has a far greater focus on a ridiculous amount of challenging, creative boss battles.

Speaking of Treasure, Dynamite Headdy is another Genesis classic. An astoundingly creative and sadistic game about puppets.

The Klonoa series offers a more cerebral approach to progression and each one is a handcrafted masterpiece of 2D (or 2.5D) gameplay.

Gish is an overlooked, very unique and very entertaining platformer in which you play as a ball of tar. It's physics based, which means it can be likened to a slower version of Sonic, but that wouldn't do justice to how the game world affects our hero.

Just played the Noitu Love 2 Demo, and just from the 1.5 levels I was able to play, I can tell it's something special. Combat is handled in a way far different from the standard fare with it's focus squarely on the player character's mobility and melee potential (though there are ranged attacks).

Viewtiful Joe is more on the beat-em-up side, but it's one of the most stylish, well-made platformers for the post-PS1 generation. It would be standard if the gamer didn't give you control over certain editing effects (the game takes place inside a movie) that give Joe certain powers. I haven't played the others, but I heard the gameplay is more or less identical.

And, of course, there is the Contra series. Though the series has had a few forgettable 3D missteps, when it works the games offer a highly traditional but blisteringly fast brand of gameplay. I'd suggest the following:
Contra (NES)
Super C (NES)
Contra 3 (SNES)
Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2, differs from the originals in many ways, with a focus on boss battles, a more rigid weapon system and better replayability)
Contra 4 (NDS)

If you have a PSP, check out LocoRoco 2. Unlike the first, it has a lot of depth and substance in addition to its undeniably charming style.

EDIT: God, how could I forget N? There is a free version for the PC (doesn't scroll) which is still a fantastic platformer, but it's quality is eclipsed by it's sequel, N+ which has three entirely different versions on the PSP, Xbox Live Arcade and DS. There are no weapons, bosses or plots (save for a tongue-in-cheek intro), just room after stylized room of creative, hardcore platforming with a unique and complex physics system and an agile main character.

PC
Mac
Linux

[Last edited by Snacko at 03-08-2009 05:59 PM]
03-08-2009 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
vittro
Really nice posts, thanks! I'll check out some of the games :D

03-08-2009 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
All of the Megaman series. Original for nes, then we have Megaman X on SNes and PSX, PS2 and even two of them on PC. Then we have, uh... Megaman ZX and ZX advent. Battle network (aka rockman.exe) and starforce (aka ryussei no rockman) won't fit - they are NOT side scrollers at any means :D... Well, i'm just posting what i think i should post.
04-13-2009 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
You're forgetting the four Mega Man Zero games, the five gameboy Mega Man games, the Mega Man Xtreme series for the Gameboy Color and Mega Man Battle Network Transmissions.

If you want to necrobump, at least make sure your info is complete.

04-13-2009 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Side-scrolling games (+1)  
I don't see Knytt Storries mentioned anywhere in this topic !

http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories⊂=03Download

It may look simple at first - but the more appropriate word would be minimalistic. It's very polished and surprisingly not repetitive. And has some of the best cutscenes ever (Juni meets the bird !). And it's free.

Knytt Stories is the antithesis of Gish. While I liked Gish overall, and completed it, controls felt clunky. There's too much inertia for my taste. Levels and AI are primitive because the omnipresent inertia doesn't leave room for finesse. Knytt Stories, on the other hand, has very precise (AND more intuitive) controls and is a genuine pleasure to play and dart around. Many screens look hard but actually aren't. Not with the freedom of movement you have. Juni runs circles around Gish, the same is true about Knytt Stories' variety of monsters and powerups.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 04-13-2009 10:17 PM]
04-13-2009 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
The venerable side-scroller Abuse might be worth a look-see.*

*I'd mentioned this in a PM to vittro, but I've realized that people in general may be interested in the game if they've not yet heard of it.
04-14-2009 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Lamkin wrote:
The venerable side-scroller Abuse might be worth a look-see.*

*I'd mentioned this in a PM to vittro, but I've realized that people in general may be interested in the game if they've not yet heard of it.

Yeah I didn't reply to you, sorry.

But I played Abuse a long time ago, and it's awesome.

04-14-2009 at 06:31 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
I would recommend Gex ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gex ), but I doubt you'd be able to legally obtain it from most places anymore.
04-21-2009 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
I finished Megaman 1,2,3,4,5,6 and I'm at the Wily Stages in Megaman 9.

I also finished Cave Story with the bad and the good endings and I'm trying to finish it with the third ending now.

Any other game I should try?

06-12-2009 at 11:36 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
vittro wrote:
I also finished Cave Story with the bad and the good endings and I'm trying to finish it with the third ending now.

Click here to view the secret text

I suggest you Metroids, my favorite being Metroid Fusion with 1% challenge (or 0% challenge if you care to do some gamesharking) and Super Metroid.

Speaking of b0rsuk's Knytt Stories, I suggest Seiklus but most likely you have already played it.
You could also try Megaman Zero and X series, and also the new ZX on DS... *realizes he quite probably finished 90% of all games in megaman series*

[Last edited by skell at 06-12-2009 12:16 PM]
06-12-2009 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
skell wrote: (or 0% challenge if you care to do some gamesharking)

I believe that the 0% run is now possible without hacking the game, I remember seeing a speedrun on it on speeddemosarchive.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-12-2009 05:58 PM : The : and the ( made a frowny face smiley, I didn't want a frowny face.]
06-12-2009 at 05:57 PM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
I'm pretty sure 0% of Metroid Fusion is humanly impossible, so that would be TASVideos you saw the run on. But no, it doesn't require gamesharking.

06-12-2009 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Sillyman wrote:
I'm pretty sure 0% of Metroid Fusion is humanly impossible, so that would be TASVideos you saw the run on. But no, it doesn't require gamesharking.

Well, I saw this part being done on a Tool Assisted Video on Youtube which inspired me to try it. After failing to reproduce it without cheating (other than savestating) for a couple of hours, I just used the built-in emulator cheating possibilities to lenghten the Shinespark infinitely. But if you can do it without any form of cheating, you have to be darn skilled then.

06-12-2009 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
There is a game called 1945 on YoYo Games Website. It is a fun air scrolling shooter.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
06-13-2009 at 01:40 AM
vittro
skell wrote:
vittro wrote:

I suggest you Metroids, my favorite being Metroid Fusion with 1% challenge (or 0% challenge if you care to do some gamesharking) and Super Metroid.

Speaking of b0rsuk's Knytt Stories, I suggest Seiklus but most likely you have already played it.
You could also try Megaman Zero and X series, and also the new ZX on DS... *realizes he quite probably finished 90% of all games in megaman series*

Anyway, I never heard of Seiklus, I'll do some googling, thanks.

And I really love the 8-bit Megaman games, but I can't just seem to like the X series, no matter how hard I try. They feel too "slowpaced".

06-13-2009 at 05:33 PM
Snacko
I've away found the X series to be faster than the original series, especially due to the more intense boss fights. The quality is much less consistent, however, with X2 representing a noticeable decline (X3 is sometimes included, simply because the original is so beloved and the first three games are often considered a trilogy, in reality it was just as well crafted, just much tougher), X5 and X6 trying to change a deeply-ingrained formula with less-than-graceful results and X7 trying to implement badly done 3D levels. X8 also had a few bad 3D sections, but as a whole shines as a beacon of polished, creative game design.

Anyway, Gunstar Heroes is now on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network as part of the Sega Vintage collection. It's held up well and even though it feels less polished than Treasure's later games (which have all aged like fine wine, their next game was a fun licensed platformer, then there was Dynamite Headdy, an incredibly difficult and very replayable game followed by YuYu Hakusho, a fantastic fighter that introduced the engine that would later be used in Guardian Heroes).

06-14-2009 at 02:32 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Side-scrolling games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com