Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Proactive Conversation (A tentatively experimental game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Proactive Conversation (0)  
This forum is full of discussion, debate and conversation of various kinds. However, said interaction is usually reactive; someone posts and another person replies. It is simple, but boring.

In this game, I propose that we attempt to be more proactive in our speech. We must take the initiative and speak our minds, fearing not what has been said in the past, but focusing instead on what will be.

How To Play:

Join the discussion by posting in this thread! Any topic is permitted, but please keep to the Forum Rules. However, the catch is that you must hide your post inside unhidetime tags!

The goal of this game is to reply to what someone has said as coherently as possible, but without knowing what the post was! It is important to keep in mind what has already been said and guess the context of the last reply; you have to try to make your post make sense when the text is revealed later.

How to Post

When you make a post, you need to hide it in unhidetime tags. For example:

[unhidetime=02/28/2009 10:00 PM]If you are reading this, it's already too late.[/unhidetime].

This tag will reveal the words, "If you are reading this, it's already too late." after 10:00 PM GMT on the 28th of February, 2009. Note: You will need to convert the time to GMT if you live in a different timezone, otherwise the tag may not be revealed when you intend it to be!

When choosing how long to hide your text for, please be sensible. 1 hour is probably too short to get a response, while no-one is likely to wait a month to read what you have written! I think a delay of 12 hours - 2 days is probably reasonable.

As most people are unfortunately not psychic, you may post single words or short phrases outside the tags to help people guess what you have written. You may also quote any previous replies that have been revealed if you wish to diverge the topic currently under discussion.

How Not to Post

I don't really know how such an experimental game will play out, but please try not to post randomly. If you post, do so in the spirit of the game. Please use the tags. Also, please don't edit your posts after they are revealed. You said it, and that's that, I'm afraid. :)

Confused?

Good. I predicted you would get confused. It's probably easier if I just show you what to do. Let us begin!

I start this discussion with a prediction.

At least one person will state that they don't understand how to play this game.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-28-2009 11:06 PM]
02-28-2009 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Proactive Conversation (0)  
I agree, that will be revealed in about 22 hours.

02-28-2009 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Snacko wrote:
I agree, that will be revealed in about 22 hours.

Did you read the first post? You need to put that in unhidetime tags. Oh, well.

Now I await someone actually admitting they don't understand this game.

02-28-2009 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Proactive Conversation (+2)  
Hm, if my guess at your prediction and the following message was right...

Well done, you were right that someone did indeed not understand the rules properly :).

This is quite fun.. I wonder if it will ever
take over from the 'Guess who the next poster is' in terms of most views..
02-28-2009 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
I think I'll
italicize (sp?)
the stuff in the unhidetime tags and bold the stuff I kept out so people can tell them apart.

EDIT: That looked strange. I'll keep the boldface but get rid of the italics.

Anyways, I've about had it with you, TripleM! Stop being such a
This message will be revealed in ∞ weeks
and be considerate of timezones for once in your sorry life! I'm sorry, but it had to be said. Not everybody lives in
New Zealand.

agaricus5 definitely has a good point, though.
You know, I had never once before in my life thought about the dangers of leaving the car door unlocked.
Thanks, I'll be more careful from now on.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-01-2009 09:23 PM : Fixed time requirement; Feb 30 does not exist!]
03-01-2009 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
TripleM:

This is quite fun.. I wonder if it will ever...
While I agree that it has potential, it seems unlikely to amount to anything more than a spirited round of madlibs.
Having said that, I do hope that I am mistaken. Oh, and to make things a bit more interesting, [unhidetime=03/3/2009 4:00 AM]thank you for your kind words.[/unhidetime]

03-01-2009 at 04:09 AM
agaricus5
Kwakstur wrote:
italicize (sp?)
Personally, I feel that the formatting looks a bit confusing, but adds a certain level of mystery to what is already a very mysterious thread.

I suspect that because nothing is actually visible yet, we're all being quite speculative.

Or maybe that's just me.

03-01-2009 at 01:19 PM
Kwakstur
agaricus5 wrote:
I suspect [ . . . ]

That's very
moving
but I have to draw the line there.

Say, you know who I haven't seen?
Benjamin Button. I hear his movie is supposed to be relatively good. Well, better than Stepbrothers, at least.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-02-2009 06:32 AM : Had to tone something down because it could too easily be misread]
03-01-2009 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
In order for one to find out the true origins of cheese, one must conjugate the two officialvalues of pi, and combine them, whilst retaining the twenty -three smileys, of which five have embezzled the cheese of which I speak.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 03-01-2009 08:46 PM]
03-01-2009 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Kwakstur wrote:
and be considerate of timezones for once in your sorry life! I'm sorry, but it had to be said. Not everybody lives in
New Zealand.

Erm, excuse me? What was that all about? I'm always highly aware of timezones; I set my unhidetime to be around 4 hours after the previous one so the game could continue rolling around without me even having a clue what time that was in my timezone, and you make it sound as if I'm continually assuming other people are in my timezone which AFAIK I've never done.. but anyway.

[Last edited by TripleM at 03-01-2009 11:32 PM]
03-01-2009 at 11:27 PM
agaricus5
TripleM wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
New Zealand.

Erm, excuse me? What was that all about? I'm always highly aware of timezones; I set my unhidetime to be around 4 hours after the previous one so the game could continue rolling around without me even having a clue what time that was in my timezone, and you make it sound as if I'm continually assuming other people are in my timezone which AFAIK I've never done.. but anyway.
Urg. This isn't turning out quite how I expected.

You can set your tags to reveal whenever you like; the important part of this game is posting a reply to something that's not yet been revealed. Of course, be sensible, but I did say that 12-48 hours is not unreasonable.

Also, while Kwakstur's direct response to my prediction was somewhat non-sequitur, the above quoted comments agree with it. Heh.

But regarding timezones, they're somewhat overrated since the Earth is spherical. Also, they don't exist on the Eighth!

Say, you know who I haven't seen?

I believe I do. It must be the person who broke into your car while you weren't looking. :)

Edit: I broke a tag? Yup, I did. Sorry if anyone saw the text! (stupid MM/DD/YYYY format).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-02-2009 12:14 AM]
03-02-2009 at 12:12 AM
TripleM
agaricus5 wrote:
Also, while Kwakstur's direct response to my prediction was somewhat non-sequitur, the above quoted comments agree with it. Heh.

[offtopic]No, I understood the rules fine, my prediction was set to be revealed in 20 something hours. So I think your prediction was wrong ;)
03-02-2009 at 12:34 AM
Kwakstur
[offtopic]
The point is that you're making a reply to something that is hidden. The goal is try your best to make sense, but since that's impossible, the general point of the game is more or less to generate an interesting and convoluted conversation. But I think it almost does that too well; I found myself reading over agaricarus5's comments on my posts several times trying to figure out what he meant before I remembered that my actual post wasn't revealed yet.

Likewise, "I've about had it with you" was really bad wording on my part. Now that both our posts are revealed, I agree: I really did look genuinely angry. But I didn't feel that way at all at the time of writing it, because back then I understood it wasn't supposed to make sense.

I think that's a downfall of this game. It's difficult to remember that people replying to you didn't know what you said.
[/offtopic]

agaricus5 wrote: I believe I do. This message will be revealed in 20 hours, 22 minutes. :)
Nope, and what a shame: The coincidental influx arc won't help here, since
he never left.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-02-2009 06:29 AM]
03-02-2009 at 03:00 AM
agaricus5
TripleM wrote:
Hm, if my guess at your prediction and the following message was right...

Well done, you were right that someone did indeed not understand the rules properly :).
:w00t :w00t

Whoa! It's like you were inside my mind!

Now That's What I Call Insight! 73

:toohard

But I agree with you, stigant. It could be very madlib. But that sounds fun to me!

The coincidental influx arc won't help here, since...

Oh, and Kwakstur, said person may not be here right now, but DROD is irresistible to most mere mortals.

Plus, I can always switch on my coincidental magnet again if there is need for it.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-02-2009 10:01 PM]
03-02-2009 at 09:59 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
agaricus5 wrote:
This message will be revealed in negative 790 weeks. to me!
If you are reading this, wow.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 03-12-2009 08:30 AM]
03-04-2009 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Proactive Conversation (A tentatively experimental game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com