Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Switch to Linux (Y/N)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Switch to Linux (Y/N) (0)  
Allright now... The Linux i have boots from a CD so technically i don't need to install it... BUT then i cant save any parameters...
If you can help in the following, then PLZ:
1) How to configure the VPN networks properly in Linux?
2) How to connect to them (sounds stupid, i know, but i have not found a CONNECT button yet.)
3) Help with VirtualBox OSE - somewhat like VPC(this one is for Windows), more exact - how to set it up to emulate XP SP2 - if will be necessary.
and give some overall review of this idea. Linux CAN run .exe's BTW - via Wine or this box

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 02-20-2009 05:49 PM]
02-20-2009 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
IP: Logged
icon Re: Switch to Linux (Y/N) (0)  
13th Slayer wrote:
1) How to configure the VPN networks properly in Linux?
2) How to connect to them (sounds stupid, i know, but i have not found a CONNECT button yet.)
I am unsure what you are asking here, but if you are going to use a major linux distribution like Ubuntu or OpenSUSE, then you shouldn't have to do any configuration regarding the internet on your part. I tried these two distros and am now using Fedora and all of them would connect to the internet automatically. I am using a "Wired Network", as Network Manager calls it, but I doubt VPN is any different.
13th Slayer wrote:
3) Help with VirtualBox OSE - somewhat like VPC(this one is for Windows), more exact - how to set it up to emulate XP SP2 - if will be necessary.
Why would you use virtualization? If you have a Windows installation disc, then you simply have to divide your hard drive into two partitions (three - leave ~5Gb to linux swap partition), and install both Windows and linux. I am using a dual-boot computer and I've been very happy with it. Sure, you can use wine, but it is not perfect and it doesn't run everything. Windows is better for playing games as well.

Overall, I think that you should keep both OSes. If pressed, I'd keep linux, but while there's choice I prefer to have both.

02-20-2009 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Switch to Linux (Y/N)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com