Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Publish Any Forum Article
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Publish Any Forum Article (0)  
Would it be possible to add an option for admins to publish any post on the forum to th site (i.e. convert it to the site format using viewsitepage)?

For example, Jacob's new DROD introduction would be an excellent sort of article to be on the fansite, but it's currently on the General board and as far as I know cannot be published.

I think possible benefits would be:

- A site editor is not needed to transfer content to site boards.
- Any post can be made to look site-presentable (should the need arise for it)
- Articles can be left on the forum and looked after by their authors (rather than relying on a site editor to update them)

It's not to say that we shouldn't have a site editor; in fact, the current system we have works really well. It's just that being able to publish posts would make it easier to get things onto the site if an author has posted it on the forum first, while preventing thread duplication and editing difficulties if the site editor(s) become inactive.

02-16-2009 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Publish Any Forum Article (+1)  
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=275971

I think the problem with publishing any post on the forums means that the original editor has the power to alter the post without knowledge. While it's true that it may be difficult to keep a site editor, the process to publish an article onto the website is very small if it's already formatted properly. It took me maybe five minutes tops to get it up.

02-16-2009 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Publish Any Forum Article (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I think the problem with publishing any post on the forums means that the original editor has the power to alter the post without knowledge.
That is a good point, although having two versions of the article seems a bit clunky to me.

Then again, as long as the original author makes it clear when the article is updated, it should be reasonably easy for a site editor to update it as the need arises.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-16-2009 01:01 PM]
02-16-2009 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Publish Any Forum Article (0)  
Yeah, I agree with gamer. I like having the power to edit site articles contained to just the current Site Content Editor(s).

Also, the articles are put into categories depending on which board they're posted in - we'd have to change that if we allowed publishing articles from boards outside the Site Content boards.

02-16-2009 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Publish Any Forum Article
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com