Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : New to Drod
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
acrobat
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
IP: Logged
icon New to Drod (+1)  
I just started playing the game, installed it at 10 am this morning. After a mere 16 hours of play, I have just completed level 8. And I think I hate tar more than I would ever have dreamed possible.

Click here to view the secret text

On the whole, though, it seems an excellent game. Assuming there are 25 levels to the dungeon, I should be done in another day or two... because of course they don't get any harder as you go deeper! :D
04-17-2004 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: New to Drod (0)  
Welcome aboard. You are going along very fast there.

And Tar is evil :eyes :devil
04-17-2004 at 08:23 AM
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
Sounds like my first day of play... only I'm never up at 10am... but the 16 hours straight part is about right. Good luck and :welcome to the forums.

You could complete it in a couple more days, but its not likely unless you really exploit the hint sections, and you wont feel as good about yourself if you do. I recommend you avoid them until they become necessary to prevent you from smashing your computer.

Just take your time and remember to break for food. :P

04-17-2004 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
acrobat wrote:
On the whole, though, it seems an excellent game. Assuming there are 25 levels to the dungeon, I should be done in another day or two... because of course they don't get any harder as you go deeper! :D

I think you'll find that although the levels won't get very much harder, there certainly is a difficulty gradient from level 9 onwards. Notable levels to watch out for are 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 22, 24 and 25.

Then, of course, you could also try out some user-made holds, which get even more difficult.

Good luck with the rest of DROD, welcome to the forums and community, and happy smiting!

04-17-2004 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
acrobat
icon Re: New to Drod (+1)  
Drizzo wrote:
You could complete it in a couple more days, but its not likely unless you really exploit the hint sections, and you wont feel as good about yourself if you do. I recommend you avoid them until they become necessary to prevent you from smashing your computer.
I have been avoiding using the hints. There was one spot "Don't exit the room without due consideration" that I had to confer with my brother as to how it could possibly work.
Just take your time and remember to break for food. :P

Funny you should say that, yesterday it was 5:30 pm and I realized I had not eaten breakfast. :lol

The frustrating thing about slogging through tar is that just when it's going well, a bunch of enemies pop out at me and kill me. I did figure out that the tar blinks just before it expands, but that's not really enough time to turn the sword around anyway. Assuming that the enemies are going to appear there, or not behind you, or not 5 at once, etc.

I ended up just carving through about 5-6 squares, then sit with my back to the wall to pass the time until the tar regrew.
04-17-2004 at 05:02 PM
doink~
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Hi there! Having fun with tar?

If you are using the architects edition, you can press Shift+Enter to check the spawn clock... I find it useful, although it does take a little bit of surprise out of the game...

:?
yesterday it was 5:30 pm and I realized I had not eaten breakfast.

Wow...

04-17-2004 at 05:28 PM
Drizzo
You shouldn't need to hit shift-enter, plain old enter should work just fine to find out the spawn clock. Figuring out where tar babies spawn is a tricky business, but eventually it will become second nature. Anyplace that the tar can form into a 2 wide or greater group it will not form tar babies, nor will a tar baby spawn on beethro or his sword (although tar itself will spawn on his sword) use this to your advantage to speed up your slicing through the tar, you'll need it later.

04-17-2004 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
you can also count them down
its 30 turns per cycle
I get more into the rythym by counting than by checking
its the same spawn cycle for roachs also
04-19-2004 at 12:53 AM
acrobat
Well, I'm on level 21 now. While a few rooms have been a bit of a challenge (I had to break out the graph paper for one of the trapdoor rooms), nothing so far has compared to 7S 3E of level 8. I am up to brains now, and I keep finding that in many cases it's easiest to kill the brains last, although that seems like it would contradict common sense.

Thanks for the tip about hitting Enter, although I have not really needed it, I just kind of go by feel now on when things are going to spawn.
04-19-2004 at 05:21 AM
Drizzo
Fight against brains long enough, you'll find levels without them harder. It's easier to kill a roach every turn when they're there. For a good while after I first defeated the game, I would die constantly on levels without brains because I got so used to brained movement.

Glad to see you're enjoying the game, the last few levels have some beastly puzzles that make the 3 tar mothers seem pretty simple. You'll enjoy them, I'm sure... and then the user created holds. Wow, most of them are ridiculously hard, but fun... we have some very good architects here.

04-19-2004 at 05:29 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
You know, you may be the first person to go from start to finish in such a short length of time.

Have fun with the last few levels!

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-19-2004 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
acrobat
Well, I finished it up today. :) Apparently some of the levels I played got recorded along the way, as otherwise it would be strange if the ending happened to play levels EXACTLY as I did... (I recognized level8 7S,3E very well.)

As far as speed goes, I tend to consume puzzles games at a pretty voracious rate. I am the same way with books; this leads to me purchasing relatively few of either, as I tend to feel that I have not gotten my money's worth when I'm done after a few hours, and games tend to cost rather more than a movie admission. For books, the library is immensely useful. I would not be surprised if someone else has done it faster, though, as I was not exactly racing against anyone! I probably could have finished it yesterday (I was up to level 24) but I had other more pressing tasks.

Click here to view the secret text

04-22-2004 at 02:59 AM
Drizzo
Well then, I would recommend trying Loony Labyrinth next, or if you're looking for a harder task, try Claythro Tower. Tomb of Nomb and the Oversight are also quite fun.

And although I haven't really tried them, Deep Hold and Bavato's Dungeon are rumored to be ridiculously difficult as well.

And if you're really feeling saucy, there's Bad Evil Restaurant, but you're gonna need some training before you can beat that. It's so evil. and bad.

04-22-2004 at 11:48 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
For a first user-made hold, I would probably recommend starting off with Smallsome Swicks. Short, well-made, and besides, it's made by DROD's creator. :)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-22-2004 at 06:53 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Mmhm, play the Oversight. It's underrated, in my humble opinion. ;)

04-24-2004 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : New to Drod
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com