Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Tutorial Holds? (Just wondering about beginner-orientated stuff)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Tutorial Holds? (0)  
I have been poking around a bit in the forums, and it seems the consensus is that DROD isn't as popular as it might be for various reasons.

One of these (and this is also true in my experience) is that DROD is not very accessible to the average beginner with no previous experience of similar games. This may be because of:

- The number of versions (1.6, 2.0, 3.0)
- The fact that most user made holds, including JtRH and TCB, are not made with the beginner in mind and can be very difficult.
- Beginner and tutorial holds do exist, but they are either not too well publicised (as an almost newbie, I haven't seen much talk of beginner holds), or in the case of KDD, it is difficult to get hold of it in TCB.

Is there a list of recommended beginner (i.e. total beginner) holds somewhere? What genres (e.g. direct tutorials, easy adventure-type) currently exist? I have been considering a type of tutorial hold for a while now, but want to find out if there already is an adequate amount of stuff around or not before I do anything with it.

02-07-2009 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
icon Re: Tutorial Holds? (0)  
Beginner=Advanced? :?

02-07-2009 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
There's plenty of stuff around like that here, although a lot of it is no good (because guess who likes to make tutorials for beginners? Ironically, it's the beginners themselves.).

Smitemastery 101 is supposed to be a good introductory hold, but it's an SmS. Larrymurk also has a beginner hold: DROD Learning Zone, a tutorial for a young audience.

Once you get the concept of the game and understand how to move and what the goal of the game is, Josh's collaboration effort Advanced Concepts is great. It teaches a lot of needed techniques in a fun and concise way.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-07-2009 07:07 PM]
02-07-2009 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Hope this helps: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=28303

02-15-2009 at 07:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
02-16-2009 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Tutorial Holds? (Just wondering about beginner-orientated stuff)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com