Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mafia Terce (Prepare for madness...)
Page 1 of 9
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
IP: Logged
icon Mafia Terce (0)  
A soft rustling of leaves stirs the quiet town of Valetea, Italy into awakening. Today begins the age of turmoil, of destruction, for Vicar Glionzo has been found murdered, viciously, by the infamous organization known as the Mafia. Although their last attempt at uprooting the criminal society failed, the town will fight till the end of time, need be, to ensure peaceful and safe society. This is Mafia Terce!

The Rules:
<0> I am the Mod thy God. If a dispute arises, my decision is final. That said, I am not infallible - if I make a mistake or you have a question, please inform me of the problem (preferably via PM or bold text) and I will correct it.
<1> This is a game. I hope that you have fun. In return, I ask that you not have your fun at the expense of the other players in this game.
<1a> Attempting to use loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage in the game is considered jackassery, and will be treated as such. This applies to things like encrypted codes, invisible text, editing and deleting posts, trying to use the structure of the role PM to gain an advantage, etc. Please, use your common sense!
<2> If there is a conflict between a role and the rules, the role wins.
<3> Quoting private communications (role PM, mason conversations, etc.) or pretending to do the same will result in a modkill. Paraphrasing, however, is not only acceptable but encouraged unless I explicitly say otherwise.
<4> You may not talk with other people about this game outside of the thread (but see Rule 2).
<5> To help the game run smoothly, votes and FoS'es should be made in bold text, and use the format Vote: XXXX and FoS: XXXX, respectively. An unvote and/or unFoS is required to remove a vote or FoS; to unvote or unFoS, please use the format Unvote: XXXX or UnFoS: XXXX.
<6> If a player has a majority of votes, that player is lynched and cannot be unvoted. You may talk during twilight unless I state otherwise.
<7> This is a day/night type open setup. After a lynch or a majority of votes to no lynch, the game moves into night. Only role names that contain the name "Mafia" in any way, shape, or form may talk at night.
<8> When you die, stop posting. You may make a single "Bah!"/"Frak you!"/etc. post in the thread. You may not include game content in this post. In addition, once you are dead, please do not discuss the game with anyone other than the Mod until the game is over, as this makes the mod's life easier.
<9> This game will start on Day 1 after all players have confirmed.
<10> Any player who is modkilled automatically loses the game. I will modkill in the fashion that I deem most damaging to the modkilled player's faction.
<11> I reserve the right to add rules if necessary (or if I really, really want to).
<12> Please respect any restrictions outlined in your role PM. Not following them really just ruins the game for everyone.
<13> Okay, that's enough formal-sounding stuff. Good luck, have fun!
<14> All latent abilities activated during the day will be revealed in the thread before their activation.

Players Alive (A > means confirmed):
>TripleM
>Kwakstur

Players Dead:
Zwetschenwasser(Neutral Evil Overlord)....Bandwagoned Twice Day 1
The Stew Boy(Insane Doctor)........Killed by the Phantom of the Opera Day 1
Hyperme (Vanilla Townie)..........Punctured Day 2
Lopsidation (Strawberry Townie).........Shotgunned Night 2
Someone Else (Chocolate Townie)........Executed Day 3
Everyone Else: Endgamed

The Mafia, TripleM and Kwakstur, have won.:vampire

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 02-21-2009 02:27 PM]
01-31-2009 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
icon Re: Mafia Terce (-1)  
The Zeroth Vote Count (AKA the What the Gob? Vote Count)

Stigant(0)
Someone Else(0)
hyperme(0)
Chaco(0)
Dex Stewart(0)
TripleM(0)
lopsidation(1)
The Stew Boy(0)
Snacko(0)
Kwakstur(0)

With 10 alive, (6) votes to lynch.

Day 1 has begun. In case it is not clear, the number in () beside each name indicates how many votes he/she has. And yes, the vote count is correct. Snacko and hyperme, please confirm by PM to let me know you're here.

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 01-31-2009 11:57 PM]
01-31-2009 at 10:10 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Mafia Terce (0)  
OK, so either there's someone who gets to vote anonymously, or there's an unknown entity who also gets a vote.
01-31-2009 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
I think we can assume that this person who voted for lopsidation first at zeroth vote count was either a Mafia person wanting to off a Townie or just someone who wanted to start a majority on the first day so that a lynch could occur.

For this reason I think lopsidation should at least attempt to defend himself from this sort of accusation. However, this being the first day and us having no evidence to go off of, successfully lynching someone may be the order of the day.

01-31-2009 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
New Rule: All latent abilities activated during the day will be revealed in the thread before their activation.

01-31-2009 at 11:52 PM
zwetschenwasser
Ability "Sweet Oblivion" has been activated for the remainder of Day 1a.

01-31-2009 at 11:53 PM
zwetschenwasser
Day 1 has officially begun. Votes will now be accepted. Snacko and hyperme, please confirm ASAP.

01-31-2009 at 11:56 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Chaco wrote:
I think we can assume that this person who voted for lopsidation first at zeroth vote count was either a Mafia person wanting to off a Townie or just someone who wanted to start a majority on the first day so that a lynch could occur.

Well, votes must be public so it seems that someone is exempt from the rules for whatever reason. I'm baffled as to why that would be the case and how it works exactly.
02-01-2009 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
zwetschenwasser does seem to have an affinity for making up rules. Witness the publicly-released roles list which contains an "????" in it.

Evidently this particular vote isn't public. Now, what are the implications? For one, I'm of the opinion that the "one vote for one person" rule is still in effect. This means that the person who made the vote can't make a vote during the day by posting in this thread. (Presumably they could change their vote by PMing zwetschenwasser, or otherwise they'd need to reveal their identity by posting in this thread.)

So, therefore, any person who makes a vote in this thread is either breaking the "one vote per person" rule or not the person who made the original vote for lopsidation. I think it's in my best interest to show that I'm not the person who voted anonymously, so I'll make a vote publicly.

Vote: hyperme

(The two reasons I'm voting for hyperme in particular are because he hasn't confirmed yet and because he isn't Snacko.)

So, what we now have here is some anonymous person who voted for lopsidation during the zeroth vote count (for whatever reason) and me, who voted for hyperme purely to prove that I'm a different person from the former, hopefully effectively.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-01-2009 12:56 AM]
02-01-2009 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Rank Points: 176
The game's just started and I already have a vote? I'm guessing there's someone who can vote anonymously, and he randomly picked me.
That's fine with me- seeing how people respond under pressure is probably a good way to tell the difference between the town and the mafia. I assure you though, I am a townie.

02-01-2009 at 12:57 AM
zwetschenwasser
<2> If there is a conflict between a role and the rules, the role wins.

02-01-2009 at 01:04 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I think the best thing to do is, as always, get through the first day and night so we can see the night actions and whether anything is consistently happening each round. I initially thought voting for an inactive person isn't a good idea, since then we could see whether the night ends fast or not (ie whether the inactive people have night roles or not). However, I presume z wouldn't let this happen (ie would wait for confirmation).

Thus I think it is fair to vote for an inactive person; theres nothing else to choose from at the moment (other than perhaps lopsidation; but we can figure that out on day two).

Vote: hyperme
02-01-2009 at 01:10 AM
zwetschenwasser
The First Vote Count (AKA the Peer Pressure Vote Count)

Stigant(0)
Someone Else(0)
hyperme(3)-Chaco, TripleM, <anonymous>
Chaco(0)
Dex Stewart(0)
TripleM(0)
lopsidation(0)
The Stew Boy(0)
Snacko(0)
Kwakstur(0)

With 10 alive, (6) votes to lynch.

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 02-01-2009 02:04 AM]
02-01-2009 at 01:13 AM
Chaco
Wait a minute, now hyperme's vote count says 3, listing me and TripleM. Would it be alright to replace

hyperme(3)-Chaco, TripleM

with something similar to

without changing anything?

Because unless there's two people with the ability to vote with their name not on the roster, it looks like our <anonymous> friend here decided to jump on the hyperme lynching bandwagon. Which isn't necessarily a mark of being Mafia or otherwise bloodthirsty, but definitely a mark of both activity and a willingness to make a majority.

I'm keeping my vote for hyperme, but I just wanted to make both of these new notes.

02-01-2009 at 01:23 AM
zwetschenwasser
Edited.

02-01-2009 at 01:34 AM
zwetschenwasser
I apologize. I misunderstood your question. I didn't realize that you meant to use <anonymous> in your post, not that you wanted me to add <anonymous> in the vote count. It's mysterious, and I like mystery, don't you? Re-edited.

02-01-2009 at 01:37 AM
Chaco
zwetschenwasser wrote:
I apologize. I misunderstood your question. I didn't realize that you meant to use <anonymous> in your post, not that you wanted me to add <anonymous> in the vote count. It's mysterious, and I like mystery, don't you? Re-edited.

No, I did want the second option: add <anonymous> in the vote count to bring the total to three.

Since we've all agreed that something's mysterious, I figure we may as well quantify it. Mystery is one thing, and I agree that this whole "anonymous voter" thing is nice, but at least be nice and preserve the details that we do have. Listing <anonymous> in the list of voters who voted for hyperme is a courtesy. Listing only two names in a list of three voters is unnecessarily confusing given what we've just gone through in discussion.

The second list:

is just a convenience in the summary. The first list is an intentional inconvenience.

(Sorry for the confusion and the intentional stubbornness about this idea, but I really would like to get this out of the way so more serious things can be discussed.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-01-2009 01:45 AM]
02-01-2009 at 01:45 AM
TripleM
Since the vote jumped so quickly, I'm wondering if it isn't a person at all; perhaps it automatically jumps to the majority.
02-01-2009 at 01:46 AM
Chaco
TripleM wrote:
Since the vote jumped so quickly, I'm wondering if it isn't a person at all; perhaps it automatically jumps to the majority.

This is entirely possible. One way to test this would be to see what happens if both of us switch our votes to Snacko. The lack of a change would explicitly disprove your theory; a switch to Snacko by the anonymous agent would prove nothing (either you're correct or the person is active and decided to switch, neither possibility can be determined).

02-01-2009 at 01:52 AM
TripleM
Yeah, though it depends on how fast z updates the vote tallies. I considered it, but then decided I'd prefer to get through the first day faster to see what happens. But hey, we may as well get as much info as can we now.
Unvote: hyperme
Vote: Snacko
02-01-2009 at 01:57 AM
zwetschenwasser
I will not update old vote counts unless an error has been made. I will post a new vote count whenever I deem it most beneficial to the game. I have re-edited the old vote count to accomodate Chaco's request.

02-01-2009 at 02:07 AM
Chaco
zwetschenwasser wrote:
I will not update old vote counts unless an error has been made. I will post a new vote count whenever I deem it most beneficial to the game. I have re-edited the old vote count to accomodate Chaco's request.

Thanks. That small action does actually mean a little bit to me.

Unvote: hyperme

(This is probably the last action I'll take for this Mafia day, as I too am interested in seeing what happens next.)

02-01-2009 at 02:08 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
That is an interesting theory, but it doesn't seem to have much purpose. I mean, all it does is decrease the need for votes to lynch by one. I think that there is someone voting anonymously, but we'll still have no idea if it's automatic if the anonymous vote jumps to Snacko.
02-01-2009 at 02:53 AM
Chaco
Someone Else wrote:
I think that there is someone voting anonymously, but we'll still have no idea if it's automatic if the anonymous vote jumps to Snacko.

That's quite right. However, we'll know it's not automatic if the anonymous vote doesn't change to Snacko, which is what TripleM and I are looking for here.

(This isn't terribly helpful, but then again, little is on the first day.)

02-01-2009 at 03:39 AM
TripleM
Yeah, I guess you're right. Since the player list in the original thread did mention a hidden '11th' player, let's assume for a second it is a real forumite..

Either it is Z himself, which totally kills the game, so I'm ruling out this option.
Otherwise, this unknown person must have signed up immediately, presumably by Z PMing this person, knowing they'll be somebody who will play. Five people participated in the first two games (Monkey, Sillyman, RoboBob3000, kie and Lamkin), though we know Monkey has disappeared. It's quite possible that one of those other 4 were PMed and are playing without our knowledge..
02-01-2009 at 03:45 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
But I think if the vote is from some and not a bot, then how do we know he (or she) won't change the vote when we do, just to mess with us?

And is there a guess so far as to what this is?:
Zed man[/quote wrote: Ability "Sweet Oblivion" has been activated for the remainder of Day 1a.
Could this be linked to the odd vote?

I hope Zed will give us a prompt vote count. But it looks like he won't.

02-01-2009 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Kwakstur wrote:
But I think if the vote is from some and not a bot, then how do we know he (or she) won't change the vote when we do, just to mess with us?

We don't - see Chaco + Someone Else's posts :)
02-01-2009 at 04:11 AM
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
02-01-2009 at 04:40 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Paraphrasing TripleM:
Basically, RoboBob might be playing in this game.
Haha, awesome theory. I'll neither confirm nor deny.

02-01-2009 at 06:15 AM
zwetschenwasser
The nature and effect of "Sweet Oblivion" will be revealed once it resolves. Robobob is NOT a player in this game. Vote count coming shortly.

02-01-2009 at 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 9
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mafia Terce (Prepare for madness...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com