Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Altered Screenshots
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
IP: Logged

File: alteredscreenshot1.png (50.5 KB)
Downloaded 156 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Altered Screenshots (+2)  
These are the rules:

1. Someone posts a screenshot here that's been changed in some way that would make it impossible to take normally. It can be from anywhere (try not to make it too obscure, though, and say where it's from or this will turn into Guess the Screenshot 2). To take a screenshot, press Print Screen SysRq, open an image editing software like Paint, and then press CTRL-V.

2. Figuring out how to prove the screenshot's a fake should be at least slightly puzzly, and you should be able to clearly see it's a fake if you know what to look for. If you change one pixel to a slightly different shade of blue, people will not have fun trying to find it. If you do something like the red hat example in rule 3, people will like it and have fun figuring out the trick.

3. Other people try to prove that the screenshot is altered. For example, "Your character is wearing the Red Hat of Awesome (+5 STR). You can only find that powerup if you traded the bomb weapon for the missile weapon in level 4. However, the floor below you is clearly scorched, which you could only have done with a bomb. That means it must be a fake."

4. If nobody can solve it, the creator should give out hints, like "Look at the character's hat, and the floor below."

5. Whoever proves the screenshot is a fake gets to post the next one.

The first screenshot is attached. It is from this very forum, from the Beethro's Teacher thread on the Holds board.

By the way: mrimer, are we allowed to use screenshots from DROD? This forum's pretty tight about copyright laws and I figured that I'd better make sure.

01-25-2009 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (0)  
That white V on black background in the corner?
01-25-2009 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
How come it is always moved to the left when I post...
:?

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 01-25-2009 11:28 PM]
01-25-2009 at 11:27 PM
lopsidation
Nuntar got it right- I erased the [Good|Bad] from Connoraustin's post. Your turn!

01-25-2009 at 11:35 PM
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590

File: chess.jpg (113.6 KB)
Downloaded 130 times.
Try this one....

Oh yes, just noticed the rule that I have to say where it's from. It's from www.gameknot.com, an online chess site that I belong to.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 01-25-2009 11:47 PM]
01-25-2009 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+1)  
There's no way a White pawn could get to h3 if there's still pawns at g2 and h2 unless the rules of Chess have been violated.

01-25-2009 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
That's correct. Your turn!

01-26-2009 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Chaco? I'm intrigued as to what people can come up with.
01-28-2009 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco

File: mines.png (46.1 KB)
Downloaded 737 times.
Sorry. I've been a bit busy as of late. I'll edit this post soon with a screenshot.

EDIT:

Okay, here we go. Everybody knows the rules to Minesweeper, right? This screenshot is more in the spirit of Nuntar's than it is of lopsidation's, but, eh, whatever. We'll see which direction this thread takes; I'm personally of the opinion we can have either type here.

Anyway, it should be pretty easy to spot what shenanigans are going on here - this isn't a situation that can possibly come up in a game of Minesweeper.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-28-2009 01:49 PM]
01-28-2009 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+3)  
Ah, got it :) The 3 on the far right has only three adjacent squares, so there would have to be mines on all three of them, but that makes the 2 above it incorrect.

01-28-2009 at 02:41 PM
Chaco
Nuntar has it, and it's now his turn. :)

01-28-2009 at 03:39 PM
Nuntar

File: silencio.jpg (126.6 KB)
Downloaded 111 times.
Very well! This is from a Sailor Moon forum I'm a member of -- the address is in the screenshot, if anyone feels that visiting the site may help them to spot the answer.

01-28-2009 at 03:59 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Ooh! Ooh! I know! Whenever you try to register for that forum, it complains about you "using the wrong form to register!"

So therefore, nobody is able to register, and that post must therefore not exist.

:yes

Nononowait, you have a 24 hour clock.... but you clearly use American spelling, so you must be American!! You are in limbo!
[demands hoi polloi to not look at Nuntar's profile]

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-28-2009 05:53 PM]
01-28-2009 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Rank Points: 275
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+3)  
At the top of the screen, the time of the post is listed as "13:28am". Now, I know the earth's rotation is slowing, but unless we've gained 3 or 4 hours in a day recently without my noticing, I believe this time is impossible.
(Of course, that may explain why my days at work have seemed longer than usual these last few weeks.)

01-28-2009 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Garlonuss is correct -- I exchanged the digits 2 and 3.

(Where did I use American spelling, Kwakstur? If I were using American spelling, "instalment" would have two l's.)

[Last edited by Nuntar at 01-28-2009 06:25 PM]
01-28-2009 at 06:19 PM
Garlonuss

File: Shot.png (174.5 KB)
Downloaded 87 times.
Okay, I know this one looks quite similar to the previous one, but I'm kinda busy this week and I don't have time to think up something else.

01-29-2009 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
I think it's the MDT after both of the times- daylight savings time doesn't start until March.

01-29-2009 at 09:01 PM
Garlonuss
That's it. I didn't think it would be caught so quickly, but there you have it.

01-29-2009 at 09:33 PM
lopsidation

File: Iji_broken.png (19.9 KB)
Downloaded 118 times.
Okay, here's mine. It's a screenshot of the statistics screen from Iji, a popular freeware action game.

If you've never played Iji before, do yourself a favor and download it now!

EDIT: By the way, this screenshot is of version 1.2. I've heard that in 1.3 you can complete the game with 0 kills, which might change the innocent rank kill count.

[Last edited by lopsidation at 01-29-2009 11:43 PM]
01-29-2009 at 11:37 PM
Chaco
Iji is awesome, I'll grant you that.

However, unless you somehow managed to jump over or avoid collecting any nanofields in the entire game so far for four sectors, I think you have to at least gain your first level (Level 1) even though you start at level 0. (I don't actually have the game available to me right now due to the fact that I'm on a Mac, but I've played it before. It was awesome.)

Version 1.3 indeed has 0 required plot-kills, which merely changes the "innocent" ranking to 0 kills. But that's not relevant here.

I might potentially be wrong, but my guess is you changed your current level from some low number (say, 7) to 0.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-30-2009 12:20 AM]
01-30-2009 at 12:19 AM
lopsidation
However, unless you somehow managed to jump over or avoid collecting any nanofields in the entire game so far for four sectors,...

This is indeed what I have done. It's just barely possible until the undodgeable nanofield boost in Sector 4.

There's something else wrong with the screen, though- something I couldn't possibly have in a level 0 run.

01-30-2009 at 01:38 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
You have 2 cracks, which you could not get because you'd need an increase in your crack skill to get.
01-30-2009 at 07:00 PM
lopsidation
No, there's plenty of crack level 1 doors.

I think it's time for a hint: look at the

01-30-2009 at 07:17 PM
Kwakstur
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+2)  
I guess there isn't enough health nanofields to keep somebody with 2 Hit Points alive for 40 damage in sector 4?

Most stuff only restores Armor. IIRC the only thing that can give you more HP are Red nanofields, a limited resource. Even if blue nanofields could restore HP as well (honestly, I can't remember if they do), that wouldn't matter because you clearly haven't picked up any.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-30-2009 08:14 PM]
01-30-2009 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lopsidation
Completely correct! Your turn, Kwakstur.

By the way, it's a nice challenge to get as far as possible in Iji without collecting experience... there's a really difficult jump in each sector, especially the very beginning of Sector 4.

01-30-2009 at 08:52 PM
Kwakstur

File: customizing.PNG (80.3 KB)
Downloaded 452 times.
Heh, you got me hooked on Iji now. And I decided to do the forbidden Alt-Tab technique to get this screenshot delivered in a timely fashion.

Alrighty then. I have Windows XP, and many months ago I got an inverted-color cursor, doubled my taskbar width, and switched to the silver theme. I decided to show how to do these in this picture. But something is not quite right about how I'm doing one of them.

To make the image smaller and cleaner, I lowered my resolution to 800x600 and closed a bunch of windows. But, warning, this is a full screen capture, so it's still big.
And, no, as interesting as the inverted mouse itself looks, that is not what is wrong about the picture.

For non-XP people, I can confirm that a Google image search can bring up results that will show how things should look. Just know what you're looking for (don't worry, there are some good unambiguous terms for it), and remember that most search engines like Google try not to pick more than one image from the same page, and they don't always pick the best one. Be sure to check the pages containing the images, as well as "More from this site" links.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-31-2009 11:05 PM]
01-31-2009 at 05:36 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Was it possible to change the width of your taskbar just by hovering your cursor at the top edge? I don't think that can be done!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-31-2009 at 04:12 PM
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
The "Current cursor" button is drawn as if it is held down, even though your mouse is hovering just above the taskbar.

01-31-2009 at 04:38 PM
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Altered Screenshots (+2)  
My guess is this: It looks like your Taskbar is locked, so the mouse cursor shouldn't turn to the shape that indicates you can resize it at that position. When the taskbar is unlocked, there should be some visible "sizing handles", as this page calls them:

http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/Taskbar/xpTaskbar.htm

01-31-2009 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Believe it or not, eb0ny, that's how the button looks. It certainly is a rare sight to see a button that can have a persistent "enabled" setting, but that's how the accessibility wizard manages to update your screen appearance in real-time as you tinker with the settings.
I knew somebody would try to guess it.

Pekka is correct. When the taskbar is unlocked, two types of sizing handles appear: Zigzag dotted grips for changing the width of each part of the taskbar, and a skinny horizontal bar across the top for changing the height of the taskbar.
My picture is impossible because it only has the handle for changing height; I removed the dotted grips between the sections.

Or, more accurately, I took a screenshot of the screen with the taskbar locked and then doctored in the height bar and the cursor.

Interesting fact:

By the way, the search I was thinking of was "xp taskbar resize". You don't get any really good examples quickly from that search, but if you clicked on "more from coolnerds" or "more from Microsoft" (images 1 and 3), there's a good one right near the top of each.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-31-2009 10:55 PM]
01-31-2009 at 10:30 PM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Altered Screenshots
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com