Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor 2 (We have a winner! Read the final vote!)
Page 2 of 26
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (0)  
kie... come to the Tar side.
01-27-2009 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I would be honored to have larrymurk join me in coordinating the mud.

01-27-2009 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
I pick Lamkin to join the Tar Technicians

01-27-2009 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Someone Else

is now MUD!
01-27-2009 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
And for my first trick—I'll turn wetssandwaters into Tar! :rolleyes
01-27-2009 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Dex Stewart, join the Mud Coordinators!
01-28-2009 at 04:37 AM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
I call upon 12th Archivist to join the Tar faction.

01-28-2009 at 11:18 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Let Snacko join the Mud side.
01-28-2009 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Brilliant. I don't know if you all know this, but I hate Tar.

01-29-2009 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
If we don't hear from 12th Archivist in the next 24 hours, I'll let Snacko make the final pick.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 01-29-2009 05:16 PM]
01-29-2009 at 05:14 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I call upon the great mxvladi to join the tar faction!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-30-2009 at 02:18 AM
RoboBob3000
And that leaves VIPCOOL as a mud coodinator. Full tribes are listed in the first post.

Your next task is to choose a representative from your tribe who will handle official communication for our first challenge. Your representative will be the only one allowed to PM me your submissions, and their submissions will be final. I will post the first challenge soon after that decision has been made.

Now that you are seperated into two tribes, you'd better start acting like tribes! Each tribe will need some way to discuss strategies for the challenges in secret, and PM's are not a good way to communicate between eight people at once. I'd recommend that each tribe find some sort of communication solution, even if that means setting up some sort of temporary message board somewhere. I wouldn't recommend abusing Caravel beta boards - not everybody on your tribe is a CaravelNet member. Please fill me in on what you decide to do - it will be interesting for me to watch and, of course, I promise not to interfere.

01-30-2009 at 05:46 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it a rule that tribes must conduct their discussions in secret, or is this just a suggestion?

2) Is it a rule that tribes cannot communicate via PMs, or is this just a suggestion?

Also, welcome VIPCOOL! I'm glad you're joining the Mud Coordinators! :)
01-30-2009 at 11:32 PM
RoboBob3000
These are just suggestions - but you'll quickly find that private discussion of strategy will be vital, even for the upcoming first challenge.

01-30-2009 at 11:36 PM
noma
Welcome to all Tar Techs. Check PM and respond asap.
01-30-2009 at 11:51 PM
noma
For those who don't know the background of the rivalry, check out: this page. Great idea for teams RoboRob3000.
01-30-2009 at 11:55 PM
RoboBob3000
I've got the Tar representative - Mud?

01-31-2009 at 08:41 PM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (+2)  
Representatives have been chosen: TripleM and CuriousShyRabbit.

Challenge 1: Set

This challenge is based on the game Set. All you need to learn for this challenge is what a set is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_game

We will be using a simplified deck for this game. The standard deck has four traits with three values each, for an 81 card deck. We will be playing with a three trait, three value deck, which has 27 cards.

Instead of symbols and colors, I’ve abstracted the cards a bit using letters. Here is our deck:

Click here to view the secret text

For example, the card BAC has first trait value B, second trait value A, and third trait value C.

An example of a valid set using these abstracted cards would be AAA, BAC, CAB.

In this game, the two tribes choose cards from our deck until it is extinguished. The team with the most unique sets among the cards they have drawn will win immunity.

To select cards, the representative from each tribe will each PM me a list of cards they want to claim as their own. Your entire tribe should discuss your decisions before your representative PMs them. I will only accept your first complete submission. All currently available cards in the deck will always be known. The number of cards each tribe gets to claim in each round varies as follows:

Round 1: 5 cards each
Round 2: 3 cards each
Rounds 3 and 4: 2 cards each
All remaining rounds: 1 card each

After each round, it is revealed what cards each tribe claimed. Any cards claimed by both tribes are discarded, claimed by neither tribe and not returned to the deck. All other claimed cards are added to the tribe’s hand.

When the deck runs out of cards, each tribe will help compile a list of all unique sets contained in each hand. The tribe with the most sets wins immunity and the losing tribe will go to tribal council.

In the event of a tie, we will continue playing with the discard pile, each round having each tribe drawing one card at a time. This tiebreaker phase will continue as the game had before, with claimed cards adding to each tribe’s existing hand. Cards discarded in this tiebreaker phase are discarded for good.

When the tiebreaker phase is over, we will tally the score again. If we are still tied at this point, then both tribes will go to tribal council.

This challenge starts now. Feel free to ask me any questions you like. There are no time limits for submissions, but if the waiting gets ridiculous, I'll put you in a choke hold.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 03-13-2009 11:49 PM]
02-01-2009 at 06:28 AM
Lamkin
icon Re: DROD Survivor 2 (+1)  
Take out the parentheses in the link and it'll work just fine.
:)
02-01-2009 at 07:36 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
What happens when there's an intersection between the 5 cards one team tries to claim and the 5 cards the other team tries to claim?

02-01-2009 at 09:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Maurog wrote:
What happens when there's an intersection between the 5 cards one team tries to claim and the 5 cards the other team tries to claim?

RoboBob3000 wrote:
After each round, it is revealed what cards each tribe claimed. Any cards claimed by both tribes are discarded, claimed by neither tribe and not returned to the deck. All other claimed cards are added to the tribe’s hand.
02-01-2009 at 10:15 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
There are an odd number of cards in the deck, but an even number of cards to be picked each round. What happens to the 27th card in the deck?
02-01-2009 at 10:15 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
If only one card remains (which isn't necessarily the case, as even if an even number of cards is picked, it may be an odd number of cards that is taken away, when requests overlap), then both tribes will just pick that one, and it will be removed from the deck.
02-01-2009 at 10:18 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I've got another question - about how we count up sets at the end.

Suppose I have five cards, cards 1,2,3 make a set and cards 1,4,5 also make a set. Am I allowed to count card 1 as part of both sets? That is, can I say I have two sets, or do I have just one set?
02-02-2009 at 01:12 AM
Lamkin
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Suppose I have five cards, cards 1,2,3 make a set and cards 1,4,5 also make a set. Am I allowed to count card 1 as part of both sets? That is, can I say I have two sets, or do I have just one set?
Good question. I had assumed that one would then have two sets. What say you, Robo[boogie]bob?
02-02-2009 at 02:48 AM
RoboBob3000
Yes, cards can be reused in sets.

02-02-2009 at 03:37 AM
RoboBob3000
Hmm, maybe I do need to lay the law down.

You've got another 48 hours after the timestamp of this post to submit your choices for this round, representatives. One point penalty for being late, and an additional one point penalty for every 12 hours after that.

02-03-2009 at 01:47 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Your entire tribe should discuss your decisions before your representative PMs them.
You've got another 48 hours after the timestamp of this post to submit your choices for this round, representatives.
Suppose some members of a tribe do not join the Sets discussion in the next 48 hours. Does this mean the tribe will now be able to submit choices without the opinions of those members? Or will that tribe have to continue waiting and be penalized?
02-03-2009 at 04:12 AM
RoboBob3000
No, you don't need to wait for opinions from everybody - that's why I wanted to have somebody act as a representative. Final decision for your tribe's approach to this challenge is up to you. If people aren't there to pull their weight on your team, you have my permission to vote them out!

I don't mean to rush things. If you guys don't want a deadline, I'll axe it. But this challenge is going to go at least six rounds, very likely more. I just don't want this game to wrap up halfway into 2010.

If intra-tribal communication is proving to be difficult, I'll try and simplify some of the upcoming challenges.

02-03-2009 at 06:04 AM
noma
Time limits aren't really the problem as long as they're reasonable, say at least 24 hours -- though 36 or 48 might be better. The point of many games is how you respond under pressure. I think it's was more those types of challenges that depended on a team responding immediately after a challenge was posted that raised a concern.

In fact, given the nature of many of us to think and over-think problems, you will probably need to set time limits. And if we have a heads-up, say we know a challenge has started or we know when it's going to start, I don't think this should be an issue.

As far as intra-tribal communication goes, you've given us a very good solution to that and we all agreed to play the game. Those who don't get involved have their reasons: maybe they're too busy, feel they have nothing to contribute (though I think they should at least get involved to say that,) whatever. It's the online version of a tribe member lying in the hut all day and that's part of Survivor too. As Neil says, "Game on!"

02-03-2009 at 03:30 PM
Page 2 of 26
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor 2 (We have a winner! Read the final vote!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com