Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Resolutions of the new year. (Our contest for january)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Resolutions of the new year. (+2)  
Although personally I've given up on resolutions (I'm so perfect I don't need them, ha!), I'm sure many of you made one. And if the current research and general knowledge has any accuracy, most of you won't succeed. So why not do something about that? Well, perhaps not a year long resolution, but a mini resolution.

How it will work
This contest will consist of 3 rounds. First, which will last a week, is the proposal stage. Basically, you write what you want to do by the end of the month. It could be to write a story, it could be to make a hold, design a drawing, create a video or some kind of artistic endeavor that you can show off and exhibit.

These will be posted in submission topic 1 here. These will be collected, anonymized and displayed for general interest.

Then, for the next three weeks, you can set about achieving this goal, and once you've finished you can rest easy and post it here.

Note that this has to be original work done by you

How the voting will work
Votes will vote on how well the entrant pulled off their resolution, taking difficulty into account. This means that if someone creates a dodgy version of the mona lisa in lego, it would still be rated higher than a perfectly drawn stick figure.
Quality of the final product and entertainment will also be taken into account.

Prizes
First place gets a pick from the prize pile, and 100 points.
Second place gets 50 points
Third place gets 25 points

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-13-2009 02:01 AM]
01-13-2009 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Resolutions of the new year. (0)  
Sounds like fun! I'll try. Now, I just need to find something good enough to do...

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-13-2009 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
I will join too!

I find something good to do!
01-13-2009 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Okay, I'm probably going to spend most of my ridiculously long exam break on my idea, but I'm in!
01-13-2009 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Just a query re: terminology...

Basically, you write what you want to do by the end of the month. It could be to write a story, it could be to make a hold, design a drawing, create a video or some kind of artistic endeavor that you can show off and exhibit.

These will be posted in submission topic 1 here. These will be collected, anonymized and displayed for general interest.

Then, for the next three weeks, you can set about achieving this goal, and once you've finished you can rest easy and post it here.
Does this mean we get 3 weeks after posting the resolution... or that we have to post the resolution before the end of Jan, but then get 3 weeks to work on it?

01-14-2009 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
calamarain wrote: Does this mean we get 3 weeks after posting the resolution... or that we have to post the resolution before the end of Jan, but then get 3 weeks to work on it?
NiroZ wrote:
First, which will last a week, is the proposal stage.
I take this to mean proposals due the 19th, and the real deal due 3 weeks later (Feb 9th?).

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-15-2009 06:55 AM]
01-15-2009 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Kwakstur has it

To be exact, you must hand in your proposals on the Local Time:01-20-2009 at 10:58 PM which is in negative 792 weeks, 2 days

[Last edited by NiroZ at 01-15-2009 11:34 AM]
01-15-2009 at 11:33 AM
NiroZ
Nuntar wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
These will be collected, anonymized and displayed for general interest.
Where are they displayed?
Haven't gotten around to it yet. I still need to confirm with one person as to what they're doing.
01-22-2009 at 11:42 AM
NiroZ
Ok, here are the resolutions. I've sanitised them so that you can't tell who made them.

playing Bach's Presto from his First Sonata for unaccompanied violin

I am going to try to write a puzzle book (digital PDF). In particular it will be an anthology of the over 200 puzzles in the Puzzle Tag thread.

Create an entirely separate and new RPG hold, a short one so that it will be a finished project by the end of the three weeks

I resolve to build a bridge/contraption across my room (~9 feet or 3 m) that can carry a marble across it made entirely out of toothpicks, string and tape.

I have had been wanting to put up a website about stopping hoax emails for a while now. This is not one that would list all the hoax's out there. There are very nice sites that do that already. I am more interested in creating something that would certify the email that it has been checked. Then you could read the email with confidence and not think you are wasting your time. I have had the domain name for awhile but have not gotten the site together yet. That is my goal to at least get the basic website up.
01-24-2009 at 01:52 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
You should gender-neutralize them too.

01-24-2009 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Resolutions of the new year. (+1)  
They seem pretty gender neutral to me. Unless Bach's gender is a secret.
01-24-2009 at 09:16 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Oops, sorry, I misread the first one and thought it indicated maleness of the resolver.

01-24-2009 at 09:27 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I am going to try to write a puzzle book (digital PDF). In particular it will be an anthology of the over 200 puzzles in the Puzzle Tag thread.
This person should ask permission from each of the authors for each puzzle that is original.

01-24-2009 at 11:15 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Resolutions of the new year. (+2)  
How about voting in stages, so that the entrants get a cumulative score? You know, first we vote on the quality/difficulty of the resolution itself before we know how they did and then we vote again on its outcome?
01-24-2009 at 04:25 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I like the vote in stages idea.

01-25-2009 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
noma wrote:
How about voting in stages, so that the entrants get a cumulative score? You know, first we vote on the quality/difficulty of the resolution itself before we know how they did and then we vote again on its outcome?
Not a bad idea. I'll think about it.
01-25-2009 at 11:54 AM
NiroZ
Ok, I've thought about it, and I'll do it on one condition. That each contestant reposts their resolution as they'd like to for general consumption. I will post those redone resolutions verbaitum, and you guys can vote on that.

And please repost, not re edit. That'd be tedious and confusing.
01-25-2009 at 01:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Resolutions of the new year. (Our contest for january)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com