Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : _MyName (To keep things in order and all)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged
icon _MyName (+1)  
Well, the thing is when I wanted to make more enemies and have them in one placed I named them for example AA_MON_Pizza_Roach (I like underscores). It looks bad when you right click the enemy (or even NPC) and see AA_MON_Pizza_Roach :D. So I have to name then normally, Pizza Roach. But then it is more difficult to find them, and if I wanted to do some change to all enemies there is a high chance I miss some of them.
That's where _MyName comes in! With this I could call my characters AA_MON_Pizza_Roach and the player would see the all beautiful Pizza Roach ^^.
(My linguistic skills are pretty low today so bear with me).

12-30-2008 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: _MyName (0)  
I approve of this request... but mostly because I want more per-character storage space. O:-

05-15-2012 at 08:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: _MyName (+1)  
I would like bump this thread to nominate this request for the "Best Request of All Time Reward".

This would be so very useful, maybe even in official holds and TT's version of SMSs.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-13-2013 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Bumping this to ask for this PR https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod/pull/119 to be implemented in RPG

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-03-2020 01:19 PM]
10-03-2020 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
kieranmillar wrote:
Bumping this to ask for this PR https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod/pull/119 to be implemented in RPG
Sure! Kieren, would you feel comfortable translating that PR into the RPG codebase?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-06-2020 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
I guess I can give it a try.

EDIT: But I think I'll wait until the current patch is released, as that change is being held off until the 5.2 release.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-06-2020 08:19 PM]
10-06-2020 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
I guess I can give it a try.

EDIT: But I think I'll wait until the current patch is released, as that change is being held off until the 5.2 release.
Thank you! Sure, later is fine. There's a rpg-1.3-dev branch you can apply your PR to when you're ready to try this. If you have any questions about this, just ask.

Edit: I'm going to pick this one up now.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-25-2020 04:50 PM]
10-07-2020 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
This was not as trivial to integrate as I'd first thought, as the code changes were based off some 5.x code that wasn't in the RPG codebase. I've pulled all the relevant bits over.

This will be in 1.3.

PR

11-25-2020 at 06:15 PM
kieranmillar
I tried this out in 1.3.0.400, and it seems a difference in name is not one of the criteria used to distinguish a character from another on the battle screen.

I put a number of copies of a custom monster in the room (using regular script to set stats, not a default script), and then had one of the monsters have their name change via this variable. On the Battle screen, only the monster with the name change showed up, all of the other copies with identical stats but a different name did not display as a separate entry. Maybe that's fine, but not what I expected.

When I killed the one that had the _MyName variable change as its code, the battle screen went back to showing the name as the default all the other copies were using.
08-06-2021 at 10:26 PM
mrimer
PR (thanks, hyperme!)

02-10-2024 at 07:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : _MyName (To keep things in order and all)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com