Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Political Question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon Political Question (0)  
That thread titled \"My President...\" got me thinking...it seemed to hit a few nerves. Just out of curiosity, what are the political feelings of the people on this board?

As for me, I won\'t get into all the details, but let\'s just say that I was right-wing until I became disillusioned with them. Then I tried to be a moderate but didn\'t like that so I moved toward Democrats, but I quickly realized that, for all intents and purposes, they\'re the same as Republicans. I kept moving further and further left and kept getting more and more disillusioned. At some point, I just decided to stop thinking about right and left and just go with my feelings on every issue. So nowadays my views are all over the charts, some extreme left, some fairly right, and others right in the center.

Wow. I\'ve been dissilusioned by the right, the center, the left, and everything else, and I\'m only 18. That can\'t be good.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-25-2003 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Political Question (0)  
I think I\'ve ended up at the same place that you\'re at...not liking any side...but I went about it in a different way. I just found everything everyone was doing really dumb. I didn\'t have strong beliefs one way or another, but people need to focus on education more. That\'s definitely something I want to see...

04-25-2003 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
As Strong Bad says: \"too much of a good thing...is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is really, really dumb... and bad...\"

I personally don\'t dogmatically support any group, but rather those ideas I think are right. I support the people I think will try to do the most good. I follow what my heart says. I don\'t think any group of people will always make the best decisions. We must search inside ourselves to be sure that, whatever choices we do make, we\'re always being true to ourselves and will have no regrets. Thanks for everyone taking a moment to read this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-25-2003 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
There is an apocryphal quote, "Anyone who actually wants to be a politician should immediately be disqualified for the job."

Another one: "If you aren't a liberal by the time you're 20, you have no heart. If you aren't a conservative by the time you're 60, you have no brain."

As a human being, I want base my opinions on feelings from the heart. But as a scientist, I listen to my brain more often. So unfortunately I end up seeing both sides of every issue (okay, not EVERY issue, but most) and don't know which side to take.

For example: global warming. I think being environmentally conscious is important, and I have read lots of scientific articles in the newspapers about various findings which makes me believe that humans are contributing to global warming. But I also feel that the Earth goes through cycles that we don't fully understand, that there has been mass flooding and ice ages in the past that occurred without any human intervention, and therefore it's hard to say what our impact is. Although in any chaotic system, like the weather, any tiny change can cascade until it goes out of control. I could vacillate back and forth for an hour, which is my problem.

A quote that I can actually attribute (to H. L. Mencken): "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of a dilemma."

Party on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-25-2003 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Political Question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com