Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : What happened with the forums last night? (I couldn't access anything)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon What happened with the forums last night? (0)  
From about 2:00am EDT last night until at least noon today, I wasn't able to get to the forums, as it was complaining about not being able to access the database. When I tried going directly to a specific page, it told me some max_users was exceeded or something, but the value for maximum users online at once is still set to 31 from March. Was there a DOS attack on the forum or something?

04-09-2004 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon In Case You Were Wondering (0)  
Sorry for the forum screw-up - we're still not entirely sure what happened, but I'm told it had something to do with the forum robot, and I'd say (with no knowledge whatsoever) that everyone has to go through the robot at some point to be sorted out into whoever you are. We've made another one, which is why you can read this message.

So, in conclusion - we're not sure what happened, yet, but Schik's on it. And I know less than him.

Matt

04-09-2004 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: In Case You Were Wondering (0)  
The robot is just the user used to connect to the database. Mr. Robot had too many connections at once, and you're right, I'm not sure why. There had to be a lot of zombie connections that were taking a very long time to time out, but I don't know what caused this.

Our new db user had no connections active, so it's all working again. I'll be keeping an eye on the connections, and if I'm lucky I'll find a problem like this before it becomes a problem.

Even if I find it too late, I can now instantly switch back and forth between the two users, thus keeping our forum downtime to a minimum. I guess I could even make the code automatically switch to the other user if it can't connect... Hmmm....

04-09-2004 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: What happened with the forums last night? (0)  
If it makes any difference for you to know, it happened to me as well, except it was intermittently not working - every couple of hours I could get back on, but it would stop again almost immediately.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-09-2004 at 05:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : What happened with the forums last night? (I couldn't access anything)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com