Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Break Out Of Jail! (Fighting Hold with a story)
<<4567
Page 8 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ijack7
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon Re: Break Out Of Jail! (0)  
Midootje is correct. That's how I beat the vat keeper early in the game which I'm sure is not intended.
05-30-2011 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Break Out Of Jail! (+2)  
Midootje wrote:
Also, 12th Archivist, this was your first hold?? It's FAR more complex than Tendry's Tale! Great job on that! I loved it!
Thank you. This was indeed my first hold. Still, although it is very complicated, I felt that these puzzles were not especially fun to all but the most hardcore of players because of how complicated and therefore difficult they are. Future holds of mine will feature more Chaco-esque choices (His famous rule: "The trick seems to be giving the player a lot of choices and rewarding him for good choices, not punishing him for bad ones.") instead of my personality while developing the puzzles ("Do it near-perfectly right or have fun dying."). Of course, such future holds will still include the beyond-hardcore challenges for aspiring players.

I have one more thing to say: I think this hold is impossible to solve with 100% secrets completed! This is because:
Click here to view the secret text
Do you perhaps have an explanation for this 12th Archivist, was it intentional to make the player choose between the bonuses and the invisibility potion?
You can get 100% secret completion, but because of the pickaxe, not in one playthrough. This does not conflict with the first rule of the HA Hold Guidelines. The issue here did not occur to me while creating the hold, so I suppose it is an unintended choice for the players.

I think the point ijack7 was trying to make, is that if you take the speed potion to the Vat Keeper's room, and use it there, you move twice as fast as her and can get past the collapsing bridges, without getting stuck in the middle like you're supposed to. I guess it's a very unintended solution, and it could be fixed by making the bridges two squares longer in total.
When I stated my suspicion of an unintended solution after quoting ijack7's post, I was under the belief that ijack7 had defeated the Vat Keeper using only the speed potion. This is unintended.

ijack7 wrote:
Midootje is correct. That's how I beat the vat keeper early in the game which I'm sure is not intended.
Using the invisibility potion to defeat the Vat Keeper is intended. Players should notice the accessory slot in the Vat Keeper's room, so using the invisibility potion and the speed potion together is not unintended, but just what I saw to be the easy (but allowed) way out.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-01-2011 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Break Out Of Jail! (+1)  
I've been following the thread and I agree with a lot of the comments. I only have the DROD RPG demo so I haven't played through Tendry's Tale, but I think I've tried all the user-made holds and though I only beat a couple and had lots of difficulty on the rest, this was my favourite, though I never quite made it out of the first level (almost did). It seemed well-themed and clever and I was having fun figuring out how I could maximize my health for various parts. I'm really glad there are people out there like yourself that donate time to such endeavors.

06-01-2011 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<4567
Page 8 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Break Out Of Jail! (Fighting Hold with a story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com