Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous (Hold moved to Architecture)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
IP: Logged
icon RPG Hold Anonymous (0)  
Inspired by this Sillyman's post, I am starting this "game", if you can call it like that.

It goes like this:
1) Some people sign up for this game. I will start it only if there are at least five participants.
2) I make a barebones DROD:RPG hold, and each participant is given two rooms to work on.
3) The participants have to submit their rooms within a week. I will then compile them and post the result. Then another week is given to introduce whatever changes into those rooms, now that the entire layout will be seen.

The objective of this game is to see if we can build a DROD:RPG hold without knowing about each other's ideas. Of course, I cannot control how you communicate, but it would be better if you stick to the rules. There are some rules to the rooms, I will post them if the game will commence.

To put things short, you have to make two rooms for a DROD:RPG hold that you will get to see twice (or thrice, I didn't decide yet) before it is finished.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 02-20-2009 07:53 PM]
11-25-2008 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous (0)  
Sounds interesting. I'm in. :D
11-25-2008 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
While I am quite convinced that this will not turn out very well, I'll join to see how it goes.
11-25-2008 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Sure, I'll join. But we should build it level by level like this. Then we'll have an idea of the stats we might have when entering the next level, but once the second level is started we won't edit the first one.
11-25-2008 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
This is so different and yet so alike what I was thinking of. I'd join, but I suck at architecture and puzzle design.

11-26-2008 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Someone Else wrote:
Sure, I'll join. But we should build it level by level like this. Then we'll have an idea of the stats we might have when entering the next level, but once the second level is started we won't edit the first one.
You mean, no edits?

11-26-2008 at 10:55 AM
Someone Else
No, I mean that once we've edited the first one to our satisfaction (and started on the second level), we wouldn't edit it anymore. We would still edit the second level while we're building it.
11-27-2008 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Someone Else wrote:
No, I mean that once we've edited the first one to our satisfaction (and started on the second level), we wouldn't edit it anymore. We would still edit the second level while we're building it.
I see. I will probably do it this way, because I do not see any arguments against it. Anyone else joining? I will start the game on Saturday, details will be posted with the announcement.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 11-27-2008 05:14 PM]
11-27-2008 at 05:13 PM
eb0ny

File: level1.png (12.6 KB)
Downloaded 731 times.
License: Public Domain
Round 1

The map has been created and assigned. It looks like this:
Click here to view the secret text

Rules for level 1:

* Multiplier for this level is x1.
* Player will start with a Stalwart, who is equipped with a short sword (that's 20 ATK and 10 DEF).
* I will provide both the entrance and the exit. The condition to complete the level is 1 blue key, killing a spider and 50 greckles.
* There are no restrictions on what you can place within your rooms. Please use only things you would use in the first level yourselves, as I am planning to go for five levels, if the idea of this contest will work.

* You may only edit rooms that belong to you. I have sent you PMs with your personalized dungeons. I will use only the rooms you were supposed to create.
* You may not edit anything on the edge of the room.
* Make sure the player can navigate the dungeon freely: make your room easily skippable (recommended, but not enforced).

To submit your work, send me an email with a *.drh attached or a PM me a download link. DO NOT MAKE THE SUBMISSION AVAILABLE TO OTHER PARTICIPANTS BEFORE THE DEADLINE FOR THIS LEVEL!

The submission deadline is within one week, which is Local Time:12-05-2008 at 08:00 PM

[Last edited by eb0ny at 11-28-2008 07:59 PM]
11-28-2008 at 07:53 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Hey, that thing looks nice! Too bad I'm too late. I don't mind making a few rooms for the later levels (sign me up for level 2)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-28-2008 at 09:02 PM
Someone Else
A short sword is +30 Atk, not +10. Maybe you want a wooden sword.
11-28-2008 at 09:25 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Alternatively, the hero's base stats could start at -10 ATK, so a short sword with +30 ATK could raise it to 20 again. This is important because short swords are made of metal but wooden swords are not.

11-28-2008 at 10:14 PM
Dex Stewart
I propose that we use a custom sword which is +10 but made out of metal. Could it be that the Briar Hacker has those properties?

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 11-28-2008 10:24 PM]
11-28-2008 at 10:23 PM
Someone Else
Yes, but then it cuts through briar. I agree that a custom sword would be best, because then a wooden sword wouldn't bring your attack down to 0.
11-28-2008 at 10:40 PM
Sillyman
May I suggest a name? Namely: Foil? Because, y'know, it's a weak metal sword, and stuff. That's all.

11-29-2008 at 08:59 AM
eb0ny
mxvladi wrote:
Are we allowed to use scripting(to create some weak custom monsters)? :unsure
Yes, there are no restrictions on what you can put in your rooms except the ones I pointed out (don't edit others' rooms and don't touch edges of your rooms).
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Hey, that thing looks nice! Too bad I'm too late. I don't mind making a few rooms for the later levels (sign me up for level 2)
Will do.
Someone Else wrote:
A short sword is +30 Atk, not +10. Maybe you want a wooden sword.
Okay, make that a wooden sword. I opened Tendry's Tale beginning and copied the stats from there (should've known better).

11-29-2008 at 10:26 AM
eb0ny
Fixing an oversight:

To submit, upload your hold to www.mediafire.com and send me the link. Of all file hosting sites I found this one to be the most comfortable to use.

11-29-2008 at 07:05 PM
Sillyman
Nuntar wrote:
Am I the only participant who's played all the holds in RPG Architecture? ;) Because Chaco made a perfectly sensible suggestion -- which I noticed at once is exactly what he's done in his hold Fetch the Pie, not to mention that I believe it's the same as what's done in the first part of Tendry's Tale -- and he was ignored.

Nay, good sir, he was not ignored. We merely did something else because we wanted to. As for the blue key, I suggest that there should be a blue key in each room, and you need all to proceed.

Edit: Or you could have one blue key per contributor, which would also work.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 12-01-2008 03:02 AM]
12-01-2008 at 02:59 AM
Someone Else
I've played all of the holds. I just don't comment on them often unless I find a bug/issue. And I think that the idea was that we don't communicate, and see what we get.
12-01-2008 at 08:25 AM
eb0ny
Okay, let's see:
(1) One-off items. On this level we need exactly one person to put a blue key in their room, but we have no way of coordinating with each other as to who. I could easily see us ending up with no blue key, two people realising for the second round of changes that it needs putting in, and the end result being two blue keys. On later levels this issue may arise with sword and shield upgrades.
I was thinking of putting the level together, see how it can be finished, and design the next level with this in mind. So if the player ends up with 4 blue keys in the first level, I will make the second level require them etc etc. We can be flexible in this aspect. And in the worst case, I will edit my rooms to make the level passable.
(2) Secret rooms. We have no mechanism for creating these or for deciding (on the second round of changes) that we want to create one.
Actually, I could give one of the participants to design a secret room. Without others knowing, of course.
(3) Room styles. Are we going with one style for each level, or can we set it individually for our rooms? If it's one style for the whole level, I imagine you decided it for this first level, but what about subsequent ones?
For the sake of consistency, let's keep one style per level.
(4) Music. "Set Music" is the one scripting command that directly affects the contents of other rooms. I'm assuming that means we don't use it. It might be nice, though, to have some sort of mechanism for communicating -- both to allow things like "How about having Seaside music on this level, let's vote on it" and to allow "I want Serpent music in this room, so can everyone with adjacent rooms please include a music reset script".
From the next round every room will have an NPC that resets music and does other cleanup (on the edge of a room, so you can't remove him). So yes, you can add custom music, but please refrain until the next round. As for the custom music per level, I could make this part of level requirements.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-01-2008 01:16 PM]
12-01-2008 at 01:13 PM
eb0ny
Just a reminder, there are 24 hours left to submit rooms. So unless you want our level look half empty, step on it.

12-04-2008 at 07:31 PM
eb0ny
Nuntar wrote:
100 minutes left. What will happen if they don't submit?
I will try extending the deadline for another day. Not everyone has free time to spare. If there won't be any submissions, I will modify the missing rooms to "make sense" and exclude those participants from the next round. What else can I do?

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-05-2008 06:56 PM]
12-05-2008 at 06:25 PM
eb0ny
I am extending the deadline for another day, which means it is now the timestamp of this post plus 24hrs. I am waiting.

12-05-2008 at 08:33 PM
Dex Stewart
Is it very bad if I just post a password protected zip here and send you the password via PM?
12-05-2008 at 10:20 PM
eb0ny
Dex Stewart wrote:
Is it very bad if I just post a password protected zip here and send you the password via PM?
Yes, it is okay. As long as I am the only one who can access your level, any method is good.

12-06-2008 at 04:29 AM
Dex Stewart

File: Dex Stewarts RPG Hold Anonymous Dex Stewart.zip (2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Here it is.
12-06-2008 at 09:52 AM
eb0ny

File: RPG Hold Anonymous - Level 1.drh (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
All submissions are in, and here's what we got:

The level is attached.

What I found interesting, is that there is exactly one blue key across the entire level. Were you doing anything illegal while I wasn't looking (and I wasn't)?

EDIT: My score is

[Last edited by eb0ny at 12-07-2008 10:57 AM]
12-07-2008 at 09:22 AM
Dex Stewart
Jeebus, this really is difficult! Kudos to eb0ny for actually solving it (and proving that it is indeed possible).
12-07-2008 at 12:59 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Yeah, I'm the third to say that this is surprisely difficult. I don't know how ebOny solved it. Well, kudos for doing that anyway.

EDIT: This could be a perfect RPG Smitemasters Selection, BTW. ;)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-07-2008 01:21 PM]
12-07-2008 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
I could place a wooden shield to make it a bit easier, if you want. And we should also decide on starting stats for the second level.

12-07-2008 at 01:26 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous (Hold moved to Architecture)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com