Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Very Small Viewing Profile Bug
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Very Small Viewing Profile Bug (0)  
It's hardly likely it will ever happen, but...

Click on someone's profile to get the address/function that activates it.

Now change the username to something else that is not the username of anyone on the forum.

A "profile" page comes up saying that they have "Guest" status, although this "person" has not registered as a Guest, because Guests are anonymous and cannot register with usernames. Shouldn't the page that one sees be an error page saying something like "This username does not exist on the forum" ?

04-05-2004 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Re: Very Small Viewing Profile Bug (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Shouldn't the page that one sees be an error page saying something like "This username does not exist on the forum" ?
It probably should, but this particular one falls in to the "does it really matter?" category.

When I write new code for the forum, I basically have to remember to protect everything twice. For example, with moderating: If you don't have enough points to moderate, it won't show you a link to moderate. However, the URL is easily figured out, so if you just typed in the correct URL to moderate a post, I have to make sure I check to see if you really can before doing it. Same for voting, editing your profile, editing uploaded holds, and various other things. It's not enough to just not display a link.

So that's kinda what's happening here - there's no link to view a profile for "fajsdlfjasfa", but if you type in the URL to view a profile for that username, it screws up.

04-05-2004 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Very Small Viewing Profile Bug
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com